Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aleks courses listed as expired at ACE
Getiton1 Wrote:What's a realistic time period from the time you start, "Intermediate Algebra" until you would be likely to get college credit? In other words, if I started today, would that leave me enough time to pass intermediate Algebra by the end of the month? I guess I am taking a poll here. How long did it take people from the first time they signed on with ALEKS for Intermediate Algebra until they had/saw the credit on ACE?

I'm a 'math phobe' too and was able to get Intermediate Algebra and the College Algebra done in a weekend each using the resources I found on this forum. It was draining, time consuming and took multiple tries to get through, but not insurmountable.
It took me about a week each for "Intermediate Algebra" and "College Algebra". It took about two weeks each for "Statistics" and "PreCalculus".
BA Liberal Studies from Thomas Edison State University
I just completed ALEKS initial assessment through my student account. After clicking through different topics in the pie chart I see math problems but no explanations for each problem. Am I supposed to be using a book/online resource to learn the concepts I don't know? I thought ALEKS would teach the material, but it looks like it's only used for testing purposes.
Thanks CMKStar,

OK, I am feeling a little bit better then. Any particular threads/references/websites you found particularly helpful? I am using education portal because the video format and short sequences work for my adult ADD brain. (I am self diagnosing!)

Since ALEKs is on the fence, what do you think about joining it for the next couple weeks (isn't it 20 dollars a month) to see how far I get on the "Pie" and if i pass it in a couple weekends it looks like it's showing up on at least one members transcript...so maybe it's worth the 20 dollar gamble? I am seriously afraid of taking the CLEP for College Algebra. I mean full blown shaking and palpitations. It's the whole, "I have no idea what I am doing, and everyone must be looking at me thinking I am nuts with this panic I am in" feeling. I can't believe now that I finally have the courage to get ALEK's done, they are thinking of not getting ACE certified (: O !!! So I am thinking of just enrolling if it only costs 20 bucks and a couple weekends of trying. Do I need a textbook? If yes, do you (or anyone else have a top 5 resources for passing the one, last math class for TESC so I can go on and get my last 2 nursing courses done at TESC?

You guys are already my friends...so I can't even bribe you with, "I'll be your best friend"!

I am just so traumatized by my previous math experiences that's why I am still talking about math 9 months after I signed onto Instant Cert. It's the monkey on my back and I sure would love to get him off already!

Thanks!
Tara
Tara

I'm done!Smile Thanks to InstantCert, Study.com, ALEKS, CLEP and a LOT of work on my part and a lot of support from hubby and family. If I can do it, so can you! 

Degrees:
Thomas Edison State College (TESC) - Bachelor of Science Nursing; RN, BSN (Graduated in the top of 1/4 of class with Sigma Theta Tau honors)
+ 3 courses completed towards MSN.
Excelsior College (EC) - Associates in Applied Science (passed NCLEX- RN exam and became a Registered Nurse)

The test's Passed (CLEP'S, DSST's, ALEK's, etc.):
Credits/Course
3          Introduction to Sociology
3          Lifespan and Developmental Psychology
3          Humanities (64)
3          History of the United States I (60)
3          History of the United States II (65)
3          American Government (54)
6          Biology (58)
6          Analyzing and Interpreting Literature (67)
3          Principals of Management (72)
3          ALEKS: Intermediate Algebra
3          CLEP Intro to Psych
3          ALEKS: Statistics

YOU CAN DO IT!!![Image: smile.png]
Thanks Daithi!

Any top 5 tips/resources you would recommend that helped you do it in a week? I am a serious...and I mean super serious algebra phobe. I just need one (1) college math to move onto my last 2 TESC courses. I was psyched for ALEK's, so your post gave me hope!

Thanks so much,
Tara
Tara

I'm done!Smile Thanks to InstantCert, Study.com, ALEKS, CLEP and a LOT of work on my part and a lot of support from hubby and family. If I can do it, so can you! 

Degrees:
Thomas Edison State College (TESC) - Bachelor of Science Nursing; RN, BSN (Graduated in the top of 1/4 of class with Sigma Theta Tau honors)
Excelsior College (EC) - Associates in Applied Science (passed NCLEX- RN exam and became a Registered Nurse)

Credits/Course
6          Biology (58)

OST Wrote:I just completed ALEKS initial assessment through my student account. After clicking through different topics in the pie chart I see math problems but no explanations for each problem. Am I supposed to be using a book/online resource to learn the concepts I don't know? I thought ALEKS would teach the material, but it looks like it's only used for testing purposes.

All of the instructions and explanations are included in the ALEKS courses. Go to "My Pie." Click on a problem type from one of the pieces. If you know how to answer the problem, type in the answer. If you don't know how to answer the problem, hit the "Explain" button at the bottom of the page.
I don't know what the future holds, but I know Who holds the future.
topdog98 Wrote:All of the instructions and explanations are included in the ALEKS courses. Go to "My Pie." Click on a problem type from one of the pieces. If you know how to answer the problem, type in the answer. If you don't know how to answer the problem, hit the "Explain" button at the bottom of the page.
Thanks, I missed that button earlier but noticed it today. The explanations have been really helpful and I've been able to complete one and a half slices in the pie today. Looking forward to working on more throughout the week and taking my assessment once I'm fully done!
GOOD LUCK OST Smile I think you will be fine Smile Let us know how it works out (in regard to getting credit from ACE to your college). I have been studying, but I just don't have enough time between 2 papers due, 2 Discussion Forums, work, life, etc. to get the entire pie filled in 2 weeks. I am watching for your posts and I have faith in you Smile
- T

OST Wrote:Thanks, I missed that button earlier but noticed it today. The explanations have been really helpful and I've been able to complete one and a half slices in the pie today. Looking forward to working on more throughout the week and taking my assessment once I'm fully done!
Tara

Degrees:

Credits/Course
6          Biology (58)

Getiton1 Wrote:GOOD LUCK OST Smile I think you will be fine Smile Let us know how it works out (in regard to getting credit from ACE to your college). I have been studying, but I just don't have enough time between 2 papers due, 2 Discussion Forums, work, life, etc. to get the entire pie filled in 2 weeks. I am watching for your posts and I have faith in you Smile
- T

Thanks for the words of encouragement. I was planning on starting some StraighterLine courses but I don't want to burn myself out so I'm just working on ALEKS for now -- especially since it'll expire on ACE next week, and we don't know when it'll be renewed. Good luck to you also on your work!
I got a refund from ALEKS and even though it now seems like there's like a week left that I could use it...

My assessments were so poor that I know I couldn't get it done in a week anyway.

What is the general consensus on this? Do we think ALEKS is no longer? Or are we confident they'll get ACE back ?
Total Newb Big Grin - Enrolled at TESC for AA, eventually going for BA Psych.

Thanks to everyone who provides such awesome information on this site, I'm slowly getting the hang of this crazy process.

CLEP - Intro. Psych. - 63, A&I Literature - 72, Intro. Edu. Psych. - 59
ALEKS - Intermediate Algebra
FEMA - 12 Credits

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Analytics Courses - Maven Analytics Vle045 3 613 09-16-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 56 9,928 09-12-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: slammX
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 418 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Clackamas Courses - Online or Remote (set schedule) bjcheung77 8 1,800 09-07-2024, 10:01 PM
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 23 3,773 08-16-2024, 08:31 PM
Last Post: eyrobinson
  Taking exams for online courses stats-time 4 373 08-04-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Spanish courses for Spanish degree rachel83az 19 2,452 07-24-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Closed Sophia Courses BritStudent 5 529 07-10-2024, 06:16 PM
  Reasonably priced upper-division RA math courses Ivo Lah 5 622 06-18-2024, 11:20 AM
  ASU Universal Learner Courses vetvso 10 3,257 05-26-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Avidreader