Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Aleks courses listed as expired at ACE
I'm new here and have been reading up for the past couple weeks (and have learned a ton!). I signed up with Aleks last week and finished the College Algebra course and transferred it to ACE with no problems. I figured I'd knocked out the Intermediate Algebra before my subscription renews on the Aleks site but when I went to transfer it to ACE their site said the course expired on 9/30/2013.

I called ACE and they said that Aleks has not yet applied to be recertified by them and they suggested I call Aleks directly. I did so and was told by Aleks that they hadn't yet decided if they were going to reapply and to call back in a week or so to see what decision they make. Has anyone had this experience before? Is this something that happens every year? TIA!
I gave you a "like" for letting us know about this news (although the news itself sucks). The ACE approval lasts for a few years and this is the first time I've seen it expire for an ALEKS course, but it is not the first time we've seen ACE approval expire for a course in general. Penn Foster has allowed lots of courses to expire.

I just went to the ACE site and searched for algebra and no ALEKS courses were displayed. Same for trig and statistics. This is disturbing.
BA Liberal Studies from Thomas Edison State University
Daithi Wrote:I gave you a "like" for letting us know about this news (although the news itself sucks). The ACE approval lasts for a few years and this is the first time I've seen it expire for an ALEKS course, but it is not the first time we've seen ACE approval expire for a course in general. Penn Foster has allowed lots of courses to expire.

I just went to the ACE site and searched for algebra and no ALEKS courses were displayed. Same for trig and statistics. This is disturbing.

I searched ALEKS and no courses or exams appeared in the results. I had planned using ALEKS to fulfill my higher-level math but if it's not renewed then I'll end up doing it through StraighterLine or CLEP.
I'll call them back next week and see what they have to say, unless something changes before that.
This is crappy news. Makes you wonder why ALEKS allowed their courses to expire in the first place, perhaps the price of (re)accreditation vs. people using the system to earn college credit doesn't financially benefit them.

Luckily my algebra courses are dated before the expiration but seems like I'll need to find another way to complete stats.
BA in Social Science-TESC
Arnold Fletcher Award

[h=1]“Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work.” ~Thomas Edison[/h]
This is bad news but thanks for the heads up. I am working on my first ALEKS course right now. I sent customer service an email letting them know I planned to take 4 or 5 ACE approved ALEKS courses and asking for a status update. I also asked for my money back if they are dropping ACE.

I will share what they send me
CLEP

[SIZE="1"]Social Sciences & History..... ..- 69
US History I Col-1877............- 75
American Government ...........- 68
US History II 1865-Pres........ .- 77
Intro to Sociology................ .- 75
Intro to Psychology.............. .- 76
Human Growth & Development.- 74
Info Sys & Computer App........- 69
Analyze & Interpret Literature..- 79[/SIZE]
THANK YOU VERY MUCH for sharing this. I'm going to share this news ASAP.
I got a fast response from ALEKS here it is:

"Thank you for contacting ALEKS. I am sorry about this confusion. All work completed before 09/30/2013 is ACE accredited. We are in the process of updating our current status with ACE. I will inform you as soon as we have any more information.

Please feel free to contact ALEKS Support if you need additional assistance. Thank you!

Brenna Traynor

Customer Support Representative
ALEKS Corporation"

Not a definite answer but they are working on it.
CLEP

[SIZE="1"]Social Sciences & History..... ..- 69
US History I Col-1877............- 75
American Government ...........- 68
US History II 1865-Pres........ .- 77
Intro to Sociology................ .- 75
Intro to Psychology.............. .- 76
Human Growth & Development.- 74
Info Sys & Computer App........- 69
Analyze & Interpret Literature..- 79[/SIZE]
I hope they renew it. I was planning on forcing my younger sister to do a few courses.
Clep- Human Growth and Development, Intro to Psychology, Intro to Sociology, College Math
Aleks -Inter. Algebra, College Algebra, Trigonometry, Intro to Statistic
Fema - 5.
Total: 32
This is certainly a bummer. If you're mid-class right now, I'd stop paying tuition and finish with Khan (free) and sit the CLEP/DSST for College Math, College Algebra, PreCalc, or Calculus. Intermediate Algebra folks are out of luck.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Data Analytics Courses - Maven Analytics Vle045 3 613 09-16-2024, 11:15 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ASU 100 Million Learners - All graduate courses now available jg_nuy 56 9,928 09-12-2024, 05:33 PM
Last Post: slammX
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 418 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Clackamas Courses - Online or Remote (set schedule) bjcheung77 8 1,800 09-07-2024, 10:01 PM
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 23 3,773 08-16-2024, 08:31 PM
Last Post: eyrobinson
  Taking exams for online courses stats-time 4 373 08-04-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  Spanish courses for Spanish degree rachel83az 19 2,455 07-24-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Closed Sophia Courses BritStudent 5 529 07-10-2024, 06:16 PM
  Reasonably priced upper-division RA math courses Ivo Lah 5 622 06-18-2024, 11:20 AM
  ASU Universal Learner Courses vetvso 10 3,257 05-26-2024, 03:16 PM
Last Post: Avidreader