Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice on Capstone
I am trying to wrap my arms around doing the TESU Capstone, which I’m scheduled to start today.

I just spent 9 days in critical care with sepsis from freak infection (aspiration pneumonia) from going to Mexico for dental work. Anyway, it was an intense week... never have experienced anything like it. Now I’m home and recovering - Mostly I’m exhausted from the mega-steroids that got me through, and I’m wondering...

Should I postpone the Capstone?

I think I still have to take something by February to keep my catalog and if I can do the Capstone, I really want to.

I’m not thinking too clearly still but am vastly improved from yesterday. Anything I should be considering? I know I have some time before I need to withdraw - but again, would like to get this behind me... And I’m asking, what would you do?

Thanks.
---------------
Next Goal: TESU BA in Psychology & Computer Science

(01-02-2018, 07:38 PM)studiousimp Wrote: I am trying to wrap my arms around doing the TESU Capstone, which I’m scheduled to start today.

I just spent 9 days in critical care with sepsis from freak infection (aspiration pneumonia) from going to Mexico for dental work. Anyway, it was an intense week... never have experienced anything like it. Now I’m home and recovering - Mostly I’m exhausted from the mega-steroids that got me through, and I’m wondering...

Should I postpone the Capstone?

I think I still have to take something by February to keep my catalog and if I can do the Capstone, I really want to.

I’m not thinking too clearly still but am vastly improved from yesterday. Anything I should be considering? I know I have some time before I need to withdraw - but again, would like to get this behind me... And I’m asking, what would you do?

Thanks.

Ouch! I've had some scary Mexico medical experiences as well! Hope you recover quickly!

The first two weeks of the capstone are pretty chill, you are just posting introductions and ideas for your topic. But, don't wait too long to start writing chapter 1 because the topic message board closes one day and the chapter draft is due the next day, if I remember correctly. You could rest up this week and hit chapter 1 hard next week. Weeks 3 and 4 were the worst for me. I recommend you get a head start on finding and reading research articles/sources before you get too far into week 3. The week 4 message board is pretty easy. By then you will be at February and should be feeling better as you head into your first-hand research planning.
Soooooo helpful. Thank you!
---------------

It really depends on how you're feeling and whether you're likely to relapse. One thing to remember if you do run into problems is to let your mentor know BEFORE you are late with any assignment. My mentor explained that he was free to accept work late only in that circumstance. If you didn't let him know in advance, by school rule he had to dock points.

My new job put me under mega pressure shortly after I started my capstone and I fell steadily behind as the term went on. I ended up paying a couple hundred dollars for an extension, finished about 2 weeks late, got an A and still graduated on schedule. The thing is not to panic.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • DIGI-212, Life Long Learning
OK Dave, got it. Great advice.
---------------

I had to ask for an extension as well, I just could not finish by the end. I talked to the mentor, he actually gave me an unofficial extension (2 weeks) if I wanted it, but I really needed the official one.

He was very nice all along if I had an issue and contacted him about it ahead of time. Very nice and understanding.

I would ask your mentor if you should postpone until next term, or if he/she thinks you can catch up along the way, with some leeway for the beginning couple of weeks until you're feeling better.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Do you already have a topic in mind? If so, I'd let the mentor know where you are with that when you contact about your situation. If you do have to reschedule for February, you may be able to contact the registration office directly about your situation to avoid waiting for a refund. Honestly, if you think you'll be at working capacity by February, I'd push for working with your current mentor for this term.
[-] The following 1 user Likes DavidHume's post:
  • High_Order1
Thank you all. Saw docs today and feel
ready to contact my mentor tomorrow. My infection is gone and now it’s likely just a couple weeks to get my strength back.

I’m going to have a conversation with my mentor with the intention to stay in the class, as long as I can have a little leeway the next couple weeks.

Many thanks. As always, I heart this group!
---------------

Good luck! I hope your mentor will work with you (most do) because I would hate to see you have to delay the class. As long as you are up for it, having down time for a couple weeks might be a good thing. I would pick a topic quickly, find a few online sources and just take notes. Then you'll even be a bit ahead as most students just spend the first couple of weeks trying to decide on a topic.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
Hell,

In my cohort, there were a handful of people completely changing their topic over the last few weeks. I think, as alluded to above, is it is a question of your real life. If you gotta beat the streets making some dough for your lost time, and family, and extracurricular... might be tough. (I don't remember your exact story).

But, the first month isn't bad, looking retrospectively. You basically fart around until you do a literature review. (this is where people went, hm, hard to find relational stuff, so now my thesis is...)

I've refined my subquestions almost continuously the entire process.

The poster above gave the greatest info, hit your forum requirements, and just devote at least an hour or two a day, and you should be able to muddle through all the way to chapter three. Then it picks up a little steam.

But, I have learned it can put you way ahead of the game IF you get a mentor that allows real flexibility in topic selection AND you already did your legwork prior to class, so pushing your timetable ahead a month or two has clear advantages.

Get well!
(and, was the procedure in MX worth it?)
Angel 
Bachelor of Arts in Liberal Studies Thomas Edison State University 2018
Cert in Emergency Management -
Three Rivers CC 2017
Cert in Basic Police Ed - Walters State CC 1996

Current Goal: new job
Working on: securing funding I don't have to pay back for a Masters.
Up Next: Toying with Masters Programs
Finished: First Degree

Older Experience with: PLA / Portfolios, RPNow, Proctor U, ACE, NCCRS, DAVAR Academy (formerly Tor), Straighterline, TESU, Ed4Credit, Study.com, The Institutes, Kaplan, ALEKS, FEMA IS, NFA IS, brick & mortar community colleges, LOTS of vocational schools...

My list of academic courses:
link

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,766 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  Capstone Anxiety Iamtehking 9 4,932 09-18-2018, 06:22 AM
Last Post: rlw74
  Advice on Choosing a Degree Program UnbreakablyDetermined 3 2,173 08-26-2018, 08:06 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  BUS-421 - Capstone - Final Project Submitted! Gloddy 16 5,297 08-05-2018, 12:14 PM
Last Post: Gloddy
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,621 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale
  TESU LIB-495 Capstone Ideas JanuarySunshine 1 1,817 07-21-2018, 11:42 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Enrolled in the Business Capstone course for the July Term. Anybody else? camjenks 25 5,783 07-16-2018, 02:18 PM
Last Post: keokat
  TESU Degree plan - advice needed please Tripletmom 9 2,485 06-28-2018, 12:38 PM
Last Post: Tripletmom
  Capstone TESU d.cononge 16 5,286 06-27-2018, 06:44 PM
Last Post: JayUsher
  Two More UL Courses and Capstone MrBossmanJr 17 3,976 06-27-2018, 08:13 AM
Last Post: MrBossmanJr