Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TESU Bachelors Degree (REL, HIS, PSY, ENG) Assistance Request
Heart 
I am seeking advice from member's of the forum who are very familiar with TESU and their degree plans. I am enrolled with AMU in the BA of Religion. I am interested in transferring my credits to TESU because I can no longer afford to stay with AMU (or I just won't be able to finish my degree since I have two kids who I am trying to financially support their working towards an Associates with TESU). My children's degree program is simpler since they are working on taking the various CLEP/DSST exams to fulfill all of their general ed courses. 

I have my AA (General Studies) from AMU; although I'm not certain if I meet all of the general ed requirements for TESU. I used a spreadsheet that's been posted in several threads on here, modified it, and have been looking at TESU bachelor program requirements. I'm not familiar with all the courses that can be transferred over for general ed requirements, seems like I don't know if "some" of my AA general ed courses will meet TESU...and looking at it just got a bit overwhelming with all the information overload. I looked at (and am most interested in) the Religion, History, Psychology, and English AOS options. I need to have an area of focus (specialty) vice a degree that is in Liberal Arts / Management / Business Administration / Computer Science (these will not give me a leg up in my field of work because many of my colleagues have these and my Leadership does not consider it for what they are most interested in). They prefer diversity in their degrees; however must still apply to my job. These four were the most likely options that have my personal and professional interest. I am asking for assistance in creating / modifying my TESU tentative degree plan, and also which of these four AOS would be the fastest goal to achieve. 

I am attaching my spreadsheet, and also I am copying over (below) my current program credits at AMU. 

Thank you in advance. 

https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/Religion.cfm
https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/History.cfm
https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/Psychology.cfm
https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/English.cfm

CURRENT GPA: 3.7800Program Deadline : 2/5/2027 Total Semester Hours Fulfilled : 74/1

(01-03-2018, 11:39 PM)warriortaupou Wrote: I am seeking advice from member's of the forum who are very familiar with TESU and their degree plans. I am enrolled with AMU in the BA of Religion. I am interested in transferring my credits to TESU because I can no longer afford to stay with AMU (or I just won't be able to finish my degree since I have two kids who I am trying to financially support their working towards an Associates with TESU). My children's degree program is simpler since they are working on taking the various CLEP/DSST exams to fulfill all of their general ed courses. 

I have my AA (General Studies) from AMU; although I'm not certain if I meet all of the general ed requirements for TESU. I used a spreadsheet that's been posted in several threads on here, modified it, and have been looking at TESU bachelor program requirements. I'm not familiar with all the courses that can be transferred over for general ed requirements, seems like I don't know if "some" of my AA general ed courses will meet TESU...and looking at it just got a bit overwhelming with all the information overload. I looked at (and am most interested in) the Religion, History, Psychology, and English AOS options. I need to have an area of focus (specialty) vice a degree that is in Liberal Arts / Management / Business Administration / Computer Science (these will not give me a leg up in my field of work because many of my colleagues have these and my Leadership does not consider it for what they are most interested in). They prefer diversity in their degrees; however must still apply to my job. These four were the most likely options that have my personal and professional interest. I am asking for assistance in creating / modifying my TESU tentative degree plan, and also which of these four AOS would be the fastest goal to achieve. 

I am attaching my spreadsheet, and also I am copying over (below) my current program credits at AMU. 

Thank you in advance. 

https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/Religion.cfm
https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/History.cfm
https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/Psychology.cfm
https://www.tesu.edu/heavin/ba/English.cfm

CURRENT GPA: 3.7800Program Deadline : 2/5/2027 Total Semester Hours Fulfilled : 74/1

Modified TESU degree plan attached (this is the one I am seeking help on). Thank you. 

Attached Files
.docx   AMU BA RELIGION credits.docx (Size: 177.13 KB / Downloads: 6)
.xlsx   2018 TESU Family Degree Plan ver3.xlsx (Size: 151.75 KB / Downloads: 20)
BA, Religion, AMU, 2019, Summa Cum Laude & Class Speaker
AA, General Ed., AMU, 2016

RA: Northern Virginia CC; St. Leo Univ.

Alt Credit:
Sophia: Developing Effective Teams
TEEX: Cyber Security for Everyone; Cyber Security for IT Professionals
SL: Intro. to Religion (the class 1 transferred to AMU-wish I had known sooner)

Angel 
Unlisted USArmy and Fed govt prof credentials
The problem I see is that you don't have enough UL religion courses to transfer to TESU easily. You would need 15cr of UL, and it looks like you don't have any. So you will need 5 UL religion courses from somewhere.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • warriortaupou
(01-04-2018, 02:16 AM)dfrecore Wrote: The problem I see is that you don't have enough UL religion courses to transfer to TESU easily.  You would need 15cr of UL, and it looks like you don't have any.  So you will need 5 UL religion courses from somewhere.

Do you think any of these BYU online courses (300s+) would meet the UL requirement and transfer okay into TESU?

Religious Education--Ancient Scripture

REL A 301: THE OLD TESTAMENT

Historical background, narrative, and doctrines of the Old Testament. Covers Genesis through 2 Samuel.

REL A 302: THE OLD TESTAMENT

Historical background, narrative, and doctrines of the Old Testament. Covers 1 Kings through Malachi.

REL A 304: WRITINGS OF ISAIAH

Teachings and prophecies of Isaiah in light of their historical context and relevance to latter-day people.

REL A 327: THE PEARL OF GREAT PRICE

Historical background and doctrines of the Pearl of Great Price.

Religious Education--Church History and Doctrine

REL C 130: MISSIONARY PREPARATION

Focuses upon the purpose, skills, and doctrines of missionary work and prepares prospective missionaries for a more meaningful MTC and mission experience.

REL C 261: INTRODUCTION TO FAMILY HISTORY

Doctrinal significance, necessary skills, and available resources dealing with family history and genealogy.

REL C 324: THE DOCTRINE AND COVENANTS

Origin, content, and teachings of the Doctrine and Covenants. Discusses sections 1 through 76.

REL C 325: THE DOCTRINE AND COVENANTS

Origin, content, and teachings of the Doctrine and Covenants. Considers sections 77 through 138. Continuation of REL C 324 (The Doctrine and Covenants).

REL C 333: THE LIVING PROPHETS

Doctrines, administration, backgrounds, and current teachings of the living prophets, seers, and revelators.

REL C 341: JOSEPH SMITH AND THE RESTORATION: 1805-1845

Life and ministry of the Prophet Joseph Smith, coming forth of the Book of Mormon, organization of the church, foundational revelations, building the Kirtland Temple, Missouri persecutions, establishment of Nauvoo, and events leading to the Martyrdom.

REL C 342: PIONEERS AND PERSECUTION: 1846-1899

Exodus from Nauvoo, the experience of Mormon pioneers crossing the plains, establishing Zion in the Great Basin, plural marriage and government persecution, the Manifesto, and events leading to Utah statehood.

REL C 343: THE GLOBAL CHURCH: 1900 TO THE PRESENT

The Church in the twentieth and twenty-first centuries, international expansion, significant developments of Church programs and structure, the Church during wartime, the worldwide spread of temples.

REL C 351: SURVEY OF WORLD RELIGIONS

Explores the origins, theological doctrines, scriptural works, and religious practices of several internationally religious traditions, including Christianity, Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, Sikhism, Buddhism, Taoism, Confucianism, and Shinto. Comparisons are offered between these religions, and Latter-day Saints belief and practice.

REL C 393R: LDS TEMPLES

The nature of temples, how temple service has unfolded over time, and the purpose and scope of temple responsibilities and opportunities. Topical studies in religion based on student interest and teacher expertise.

Source: https://is.byu.edu/site/courses/index.cf...n|paper=on

The biggest issue I have is that they are 2.0 credit hours each. Or would another one of these degrees be better suited for what I currently have (history, psychology, english)? I can also try History or Psychology since I can take those courses with SL/study.com. Which one would be faster though to achieve? 

TY

Alt Credit:

Angel 
I don't know if it matters if its NA or RA in your particular company and I would ALWAYS encourage RA over any other kind of degree because you don't know what the future holds. However, you mentioned leaving AMU for financial reasons. If NA is an option, NationsU is NA accredited and had a flat rate of $960 a year. You can take as many courses as you want in that year. They just upped the tuition to around $1400 a year I believe. All their degrees are religion based. They will take transfer credit. However you can't take NA courses and get them transferred over to an RA school (except Liberty University). TESU won't take their credits. I just don't know what your career plans/company wants as that affects what kind of degree you need.

Personally, if you are going to TESU (which would be my first choice) I would opt for an English degree. You can Shmoop almost all your courses and just take one BYU non-western Lit course. It would be the cheapest RA degree out of the ones you listed.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
[-] The following 1 user Likes rlw74's post:
  • warriortaupou
Religion would be much more expensive and time consuming at TESU.

[-] The following 1 user Likes Ideas's post:
  • warriortaupou
My advice would be doing a BA in this order of ease, English, History/Psychology, Religion. If you really would like a degree in Religion, you can get the Nationally Accredited Bachelors degree from Nations U and work on their Masters afterward. I suggest the BA English as you can get the majority of the credits from Shmoop for cheap/easy/fast.

History/Psychology is a workable plan as well, most of the courses can be found, but Religion is the hardest one to find and most expensive probably "slower" as you would need to take the course vs testing out. You can get a RA - BA English and an NA BRS (Bachelors of Religious Studies) and their MTS (Master of Theological Studies), courses can be easy/fast and really cheap.

Update: If you're going for a degree in Religion, the time and effort placed into it, you could do the BA English, BRS and MTS. As you need to take the courses for Religion in a semester-based system, you're set to finish in say 2-3 years. You can finish all three degrees by testing out the BA and completing the competency modules for the BRS/MTS (I think there are proctored exams as well).
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • HistoryMaker, warriortaupou
I had a similar thought that you could probably do both the BRS/MTS and still get the RA degree at TESU. You sort of kill two birds with one stone and it doesn't take too much longer. You can even skip the BRS altogether with and transfer the undergrad degree directly into the Masters program. That's what I did.
MTS             Nations University - September 2018
BA.LS.SS     Thomas Edison State University -September 2017
[-] The following 2 users Like rlw74's post:
  • HistoryMaker, warriortaupou
(01-04-2018, 11:14 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: My advice would be doing a BA in this order of ease, English, History/Psychology, Religion.  If you really would like a degree in Religion, you can get the Nationally Accredited Bachelors degree from Nations U and work on their Masters afterward.  I suggest the BA English as you can get the majority of the credits from Shmoop for cheap/easy/fast.  

History/Psychology is a workable plan as well, most of the courses can be found, but Religion is the hardest one to find and most expensive probably "slower" as you would need to take the course vs testing out.  You can get a RA - BA English and an NA BRS (Bachelors of Religious Studies) and their MTS (Master of Theological Studies), courses can be easy/fast and really cheap.

Update:  If you're going for a degree in Religion, the time and effort placed into it, you could do the BA English, BRS and MTS.  As you need to take the courses for Religion in a semester-based system, you're set to finish in say 2-3 years.  You can finish all three degrees by testing out the BA and completing the competency modules for the BRS/MTS (I think there are proctored exams as well).

Thank you, I will modify my degree plan template for English.  Once I have that figured out and started, I will re-look at the Religion degree later. I'll check out Shmoop since I'm not familiar with them. 

Appreciate your time very much.

(01-04-2018, 09:10 AM)rlw74 Wrote: I don't know if it matters if its NA or RA in your particular company and I would ALWAYS encourage RA over any other kind of degree because you don't know what the future holds. However, you mentioned leaving AMU for financial reasons. If NA is an option, NationsU is NA accredited and had a flat rate of $960 a year.  You can take as many courses as you want in that year. They just upped the tuition to around $1400 a year I believe. All their degrees are religion based. They will take transfer credit. However you can't take NA courses and get them transferred over to an RA school (except Liberty University). TESU won't take their credits.  I just don't know what your career plans/company wants as that affects what kind of degree you need.

Personally, if you are going to TESU (which would be my first choice) I would opt for an English degree. You can Shmoop almost all your courses and just take one BYU non-western Lit course. It would be the cheapest RA degree out of the ones you listed.

I am in the fed gov't and some of the managers can be very snobbish about degrees (if you are from Georgetown University you are golden and part of the "in" crowd). But, it all depends on the manager at a particular time. I can work my rear end off and be their top person; but if I don't have that degree it's one more excuse not to give me a promotion. I want to remove the excuse (although I had several Managers who said that didn't matter since when I came in many moons ago, they used my military years and experience in lieu of a degree (per regulation). However, I am finding some Managers recently are using it as an excuse despite my Performance Appraisals rating me as their "top performer" in the entire office/division/shop. It's been the same experience / comments over the past 5+ years so I am trying to move forward with having a degree. I will never have a Georgetown University degree; but I have military experience/time and an outstanding track record of putting in timely and quality work. I've put my degree on hold several times for military deployments, 9/11 crisis (shift work), pregnancies, single parenting while husband deployed, PCSing/moves, and I am going to knuckle down and remove my own excuses from sidetracking me. My biggest excuse now is money, so I rather do the most efficient (cost/time) degree for this point in my life. 

Sorry, sounds a bit like a soap box...  Undecided

Alt Credit:

Angel 
(01-04-2018, 11:48 PM)warriortaupou Wrote: [quote pid='249360' dateline='1515082452']

Thank you, I will modify my degree plan template for English.  Once I have that figured out and started, I will re-look at the Religion degree later. I'll check out Shmoop since I'm not familiar with them. 

Appreciate your time very much.
[/quote]

Honestly, a degree in English is pretty useful no matter what you want to do as a career.  Someone who is well-read and can communicate well (and especially write well) is valuable in the market.

Here is the degree plan at TESU for a BA in English.  It shows taking at least 5 UL courses through Shmoop (plus LL ones as well), but you can take it down a notch if you find that you don't like Shmoop, by doing the following:
A&I Lit - CLEP, 6cr or Study.com 3cr
Am Lit - CLEP, 6cr
OR Brit Lit - CLEP, 6cr
Chinese Poetry - BYU, 3cr UL
Capstone  - TESU 3cr UL
Medieval Hispano-Jewish Poetry - Coopersmith, 4cr UL
Tech Writing - Study.com/DSST/TECEP, 3cr
Short Stories - Study.com, 3cr
That leaves just 3 Shmoop UL courses of your choosing.

If you enjoy Shmoop, or figure it's worth the money to fight through it, I would do that as a first option though.  At the very least, take your 3 UL courses, and then decide if you want to continue.

Attached Files
.xlsx   TESU 2016 BA in English.xlsx (Size: 41.14 KB / Downloads: 14)
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • warriortaupou

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BALS COSC vs TESU AJ_Atlanta 7 4,470 09-22-2018, 11:22 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  TESU Enrollment Question mysonx3 8 4,034 09-19-2018, 11:16 AM
Last Post: jsd
  What do i Do if an application asks for GPA with a degree from the Big 3? Crt 5 3,523 09-19-2018, 08:54 AM
Last Post: Johmford
  guided vs online tesu capstone shendaddy 18 6,765 09-19-2018, 06:07 AM
Last Post: armstrongsubero
  TESU Diversity mysonx3 8 4,080 09-18-2018, 02:56 PM
Last Post: allvia
  ACE Transcript To TESU ISKBizz15 4 3,136 09-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Last Post: ISKBizz15
  Study.com and TESU partnership? Jenna.C 2 2,617 09-17-2018, 12:50 PM
Last Post: Jenna.C
  TESU Liberal Studies with Concentration Class Options Jenna.C 2 2,878 09-17-2018, 11:25 AM
  Cornerstone Waiver for TESU if I already paid Jenna.C 3 2,588 09-16-2018, 06:09 PM
  TESU Certifcates? natshar 7 3,784 09-15-2018, 07:51 PM
Last Post: MNomadic