Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Advice for my mom who has a Master's in Economics and is ABD for a PhD
Hi everyone. First of all, just wanted to say that forum helped me to finish my bachelor's degree in computer science at TESU - just walked this September. Thank you!
My mother is in her 70s and has always wanted to finish her doctorate. She earned a Master's in Business and Economics in France (where she's from). Then she went to the University of Pennsylvania as an economics PhD student in the 1970s, and earned a master's in International Economics and Economic Development on the way to the PhD. She then finished all the requirements to earn her PhD - coursework and comprehensive exams - but she never finished her dissertation.
My question is, what's the best and easiest way for her to finish her doctorate? Should she reach out to her original university - U of Penn - and try to re-enroll, find an advisor, and finish her dissertation? Are there any doctoral programs in Business or Economics that would accept transfer credit from the 70s? She's older, so I'd rather she not have to expend a huge amount of time and energy to finish. Let me know if you have any questions to help clarify things. Thanks!

[-] The following 1 user Likes Catcherinthecorn's post:
  • ashkir
(10-20-2023, 12:01 AM)Catcherinthecorn Wrote: Hi everyone. First of all, just wanted to say that forum helped me to finish my bachelor's degree in computer science at TESU - just walked this September. Thank you!
My mother is in her 70s and has always wanted to finish her doctorate. She earned a Master's in Business and Economics in France (where she's from). Then she went to the University of Pennsylvania as an economics PhD student in the 1970s, and earned a master's in International Economics and Economic Development on the way to the PhD. She then finished all the requirements to earn her PhD - coursework and comprehensive exams - but she never finished her dissertation.
My question is, what's the best and easiest way for her to finish her doctorate? Should she reach out to her original university - U of Penn - and try to re-enroll, find an advisor, and finish her dissertation? Are there any doctoral programs in Business or Economics that would accept transfer credit from the 70s? She's older, so I'd rather she not have to expend a huge amount of time and energy to finish. Let me know if you have any questions to help clarify things. Thanks!

The dissertation is like the biggest chunk of a PhD program since it’s a research based degree. It could take years.

Costs at UPenn would be crazy since I doubt it would be funded.
IMO, it doesn't hurt to at least reach out to the original university and see what they say. Maybe your mother will be pleasantly surprised with their response. If the response isn't favorable, however, I'm sure there are other options at other universities.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
In addition to the original institution, you can also research affordable ABD completion options, there may be some in your area, any public/state institution would be the first choice, if you really can't find what you're looking for, search for online programs that may fit your requirements.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
At her age, she may be eligible for some type of tuition waiver at some schools. I'm sure there are ABD completion programs that will accept her.

If she would be satisfied with a professional doctorate instead of a research doctorate, Baker's College has an ABD program for a DBA degree which would be a good option with her educational background and is designed to take only 1 to 2 years to complete. https://www.baker.edu/academics/graduate...s/dba-abd/
Carlton
https://www.linkedin.com/in/carltoncoleman/

Completed Academic Certificates & Degrees
PhD in Education - Azteca Universidad European Programs / University of Central Nicaragua
MEd Learning Systems Technology, University of Arkansas at Little Rock
GCert Technology Innovation, University of Arkansas at Little Rock
BS Mathematics, University of Arkansas at Little Rock
AA, AS General Studies, Pulaski Technical College, North Little Rock
AAS Computer Information Systems, Pulaski Technical College, North Little Rock
Certificate of Proficiency Entrepreneurship, University of Arkansas - Pulaski Technical College, North Little Rock

In Progress Academic Certificates & Degrees
Graduate Certificate in Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU - Thunderbird School of Global Management
I agree with the others. Reach out to the university. Tell them her story. Some universities would love the "good PR" of someone coming back after 50 years to finish their PhD.
Dr. Ashkir DHA, MBA, MAOL, PMP, GARA
[-] The following 1 user Likes ashkir's post:
  • rachel83az
There are a few ABD completion programs out there, it really depends on the cost, subject area, etc, it's your call to see which one is more suitable for you. I would list a few that you know you're interested in and so you can then drop that list down to your favorite 5 or something, and have one/two as a backup option. You then can let us know what those options are and we'll comment on what maybe better for you...

That Economics PhD will be tough in the USA because the field clearly has evolved. Your mom might be better off researching European universities that might just let her write a thesis or publication for her PhD.
What specifically was her original dissertation about? How far did she get? What stopped her?

Her original field being International Economics and Economic Development suggests adjacent fields where she might find a better fit in a completion program than economics, including business, leadership, education, and public administration.

Salve Regina University has a distance PhD in International Relations. University of Southern Mississippi has a low-res PhD in International Development with an option in Economic Development.

There are remote research doctorate possibilities with universities in several lower and middle income countries like South Africa. That could be relatively affordable and a good fit with her subject and use case.
That's right, compile a list and let us know which ones you've looked at, you just want to make sure of a few things, that it hits the accreditation, budget, your degree goal, and whatever else. It can practically be any institution in the UK/US or whichever you're interested from, as long as it hits your requirements for finishing the degree of choice.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENEB Master Thread MrsBulletPoints 3,298 758,911 4 hours ago
Last Post: Pinko64
  University of Michigan - Master of Applied Data Science Team Rocket 2 312 10-12-2024, 03:15 PM
Last Post: Captainrekt000
  (Mostly) Free Master of Ministry in Pastoral Leadership TINASAM 23 3,070 10-08-2024, 12:56 PM
Last Post: Bingbong
  CLEA Masstercursos master course paddyqr 55 9,992 10-01-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: Clubes72
  (NA DEAC) Free tuition Master Degree Penny15 14 1,877 09-23-2024, 10:26 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Question Cheapest online master's degree in *anything?* profstudent 31 13,696 09-23-2024, 01:24 PM
Last Post: Geonho Lee
  $900 Patten Elmwood Master of Leadership and Management (NA DEAC) Jonathan Whatley 185 21,047 09-22-2024, 08:44 AM
Last Post: TINASAM
  South College Developing CBE Master's in Criminal Justice Jonathan Whatley 10 1,045 09-03-2024, 03:12 PM
Last Post: dm.hans32
  Walden University CJ Master's dm.hans32 1 273 09-03-2024, 12:13 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  Utah Eccles Master of Business Creation (MBC) Jonathan Whatley 2 700 08-28-2024, 10:52 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77