Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Admissions Drama
Here is the insane situation I find myself in

8/4   I applied for admission to UMPI for the Oct 28 start.
8/5   Sent transcripts from my Community College ADN (66 credits), Sophia (33), Study.com (15), CLEP (6) and a resume.
8/6   Decided to brush up on my math by signing up for a Universal Learner Course at ASU (with 1 year of ALEKS access). 
8/13 Mention this to UMPI Admissions advisor by asking if I were to complete this class after starting their program, could I get credit for it.

Here is where the insanity begins. Over many, many e-mails and a phone call, UMPI advisor insists upon directly receiving an Official letter from ASU before moving forward with my application. This was followed by several e-mails and phone calls to ASU's UL saying this is not possible and that the best they can do is send an enrollment verification letter to ME personally as obviously, there is no transcript. And then UMPI saying this isn't good enough. Around and around.
 I have actually resorted to forwarding the emails to each other to try and break this impasse.

I do understand having a policy requiring Official verification of PRIOR learning for applicants, but this is just not that. It's obviously NOT THAT. I kept thinking that eventually they would see this and accept my application as it stands. 

No amount of begging or explaining or pointing out the ridiculousness of the situation has made any difference. I have even gotten the Assistant Director of  Admissions involved. I have tried "dropping" the course (which really isn't a thing with UL- you just don't do anything and after a year they end your access.) My final e-mail to the Assistant Director is directly asking if my application will be considered without this letter or if I should pursue my education elsewhere. I await their response.

Lisa Cook

(I did want to say thank you to this forum. Both of my daughters have used and benefitted from it, this is my daughter's account. I am 53 and have decided to return for my bachelor's myself. But for this little black raincloud and a billing issue with study.com, things have been going well)
The problem is you told them that you're a student at another college. They now need a transcript. Finish up the ASU course and send the transcript. Don't let this become a barrier.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • DavidGood
(08-16-2024, 10:10 AM)ss20ts Wrote: The problem is you told them that you're a student at another college. They now need a transcript. Finish up the ASU course and send the transcript. Don't let this become a barrier.

I guess I just didn't realize my mistake would be such an issue. There is no way I can finish this course before the application deadline for this term. 
It's incredibly disappointing. Unfortunately, I have some other big things coming up next year that will make finding time to study a lot harder.

I don't know how I seem to get myself in these pickles!
The CIS-194 Business Tech Fundamental classs is quite simple to complete and can generate a transcript within 4 weeks. It costs $25 and might allow you to resolve your situation in time.

https://ea.asu.edu/courses/business-tech...s-cis-194/
Completed: HAU MBA | BA Economics (US) | Finland Open Studies @ XAMK/Metropolia/Helsinki/Laurea
Certs Completed: Scrum CSPO/CSM | Google PM/Data Analytics/Marketing
[-] The following 1 user Likes jg_nuy's post:
  • HelenCook
jg_nuy Wrote:The CIS-194 Business Tech Fundamental classs is quite simple to complete and can generate a transcript within 4 weeks. It costs $25 and might allow you to resolve your situation in time.

Ding ding, skip that class you're working on and do this one here to generate the 1 credit from ASU UL! It's just $25, and the parchment cost of $15 for transcripts. This would resolve your issue, and you can further spend the time to make sure you max your 90 credits for transfer towards the UMPI degree.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • DavidGood
(08-16-2024, 11:56 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote:
jg_nuy Wrote:The CIS-194 Business Tech Fundamental classs is quite simple to complete and can generate a transcript within 4 weeks. It costs $25 and might allow you to resolve your situation in time.

Ding ding, skip that class you're working on and do this one here to generate the 1 credit from ASU UL!  It's just $25, and the parchment cost of $15 for transcripts.  This would resolve your issue, and you can further spend the time to make sure you max your 90 credits for transfer towards the UMPI degree.

Thank you so much. You always give such valuable advice. I am seriously reconsidering this Institution. As aggravating as this situation is, I am only out the cost of transcripts and a week of frustration. I have to wonder what would happen after I invested a lot of time and money there and another seemingly simple issue arose.  Luckily, thanks to you fine folks, I can try to find another program. I am currently still doing Study.com so I guess I will just keep doing those while I try to find a solution. 

It seems wrong and against a college's purpose to need a warning that says once you apply, don't sign up for any refreshers that may help you succeed and if you do, don't tell them.
(08-16-2024, 01:23 PM)HelenCook Wrote: Thank you so much. You always give such valuable advice. I am seriously reconsidering this Institution. As aggravating as this situation is, I am only out the cost of transcripts and a week of frustration. I have to wonder what would happen after I invested a lot of time and money there and another seemingly simple issue arose.  Luckily, thanks to you fine folks, I can try to find another program. I am currently still doing Study.com so I guess I will just keep doing those while I try to find a solution. 

It seems wrong and against a college's purpose to need a warning that says once you apply, don't sign up for any refreshers that may help you succeed and if you do, don't tell them.

You'll find that most colleges will have the approach as UMPI. They require all transcripts for admissions purposes. One reason is part of the financial aid federal requirements. If you were learning from Khan Academy there would have been no issue. You told them you a student at a university is the problem. That's why they need the transcript. They don't see it as a refresher. They see it as a college course and they need a transcript.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • HelenCook
(08-16-2024, 01:47 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(08-16-2024, 01:23 PM)HelenCook Wrote: Thank you so much. You always give such valuable advice. I am seriously reconsidering this Institution. As aggravating as this situation is, I am only out the cost of transcripts and a week of frustration. I have to wonder what would happen after I invested a lot of time and money there and another seemingly simple issue arose.  Luckily, thanks to you fine folks, I can try to find another program. I am currently still doing Study.com so I guess I will just keep doing those while I try to find a solution. 

You'll find that most colleges will have the approach as UMPI. They require all transcripts for admissions purposes. One reason is part of the financial aid federal requirements. If you were learning from Khan Academy there would have been no issue. You told them you a student at a university is the problem. That's why they need the transcript. They don't see it as a refresher. They see it as a college course and they need a transcript.
I see that now. I was just thinking that in the off-chance I finished before the term started, I could possibly get RA credit for it. This was not the craziest late-night, impulsive decision I've ever made and probably not the last.
Crazy late night impulsive decisions are my specialty thanks to my ADHD brain!

Here's a tip for you. Don't say anything about any other courses to UMPI staff until you've been accepted. Once you're accepted you can continue to transfer in courses without a problem.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • DavidGood, HelenCook
Hopefully you are able to sort it out. I can relate somewhat. A few years ago I applied to NAU. I am not sure how, but they thought I had been a student at Capella. I have NEVER been a student at Capella. The best I could figure is that my Sophia account was somehow showing me as a Capella student. I think when I made my Sophia account, I was on some sort of link that showed me courses based on Capella’s courses. I had to get them to write a letter confirming that I had never been a student. Talk about a weird request. I wonder how often colleges have students request a letter proving they have never been a student.
MBA - JWMI (in progress)
BA - Edinboro University
Certificate, Diversity, Equity & Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation

LawShelf Affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Additional course free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

ENEB Affiliate
MBA + Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/N92904319K?ap=12c8
MBA *or* Master:  https://go.hotmart.com/S92904390Y?ap=44dc
[-] The following 2 users Like Vle045's post:
  • HelenCook, ss20ts

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Help with UMPI admissions requirement Throwmeaway1590 2 629 03-25-2024, 08:24 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Questions regarding international admissions. kjhkjh2001 11 975 03-19-2024, 07:44 AM
Last Post: ishady
  Yourpace admissions emcube 3 644 02-22-2024, 12:33 AM
  MAOL admissions after finishing YourPace undergrad Junco 6 811 11-12-2023, 07:38 PM
Last Post: Junco
  UMPI Admissions Questions - BA Psychology iza27 6 1,091 09-27-2023, 10:46 PM
  Contacting the actual admissions office MikeyJeff 5 635 06-11-2023, 01:39 PM
  Admissions anthony3070 7 1,046 01-11-2023, 01:25 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Admissions to YourPace UMPI - International students JannikTT 12 3,083 11-11-2022, 11:10 AM
  UMPI admissions question nmnyc11 16 3,179 06-22-2021, 03:19 PM