Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AP Credit
I called the College Board and asked about the tests. They kind of danced around the issue, but finally confirmed that most schools won't give credit for both exams.

I checked the websites for several major universities and that seemed to be the case. These are generally looked at as duplicate credits. That English Lit class was the most difficult and time consuming class that I have ever taken. They are still pushing it in high schools like crazy. I wish someone would have told me that it was pointless! CLEP is the better option.
Soonersiren Wrote:I called the College Board and asked about the tests. They kind of danced around the issue, but finally confirmed that most schools won't give credit for both exams.

I checked the websites for several major universities and that seemed to be the case. These are generally looked at as duplicate credits. That English Lit class was the most difficult and time consuming class that I have ever taken. They are still pushing it in high schools like crazy. I wish someone would have told me that it was pointless! CLEP is the better option.

ughhhh deflating. Okay, well, now we know. And I really-really-really appreciate getting to look over your shoulder during the process. Smile I guess in other news, you could take the CLEP English Lit exam now. LOL
One more thing that I forgot to add: In my initial evaluation, TESC counted an English class that I took at TU as a duplicate to Comp 1. The class was called Advanced Argumentation and Exposition - it was an English class that was only offered to incoming freshman who made over 30 on the English portion of the ACT, but it was numbered as 113. I looked on the TESC site and found Advanced Persuasive Writing listed under the English major electives. I made the argument that the two classes were equivalent. They agreed and gave me credit for the 300 level Advanced Persuasive Writing class. So the lesson is, it never hurts to ask!
My oldest daughter took both English AP exams and received credit for both at her university (local, private 4-year). She is also an English major so was happy to get out of the lower level courses and dig right in.
Soonersiren Wrote:One more thing that I forgot to add: In my initial evaluation, TESC counted an English class that I took at TU as a duplicate to Comp 1. The class was called Advanced Argumentation and Exposition - it was an English class that was only offered to incoming freshman who made over 30 on the English portion of the ACT, but it was numbered as 113. I looked on the TESC site and found Advanced Persuasive Writing listed under the English major electives. I made the argument that the two classes were equivalent. They agreed and gave me credit for the 300 level Advanced Persuasive Writing class. So the lesson is, it never hurts to ask!

Great catch!!!
BGSU_Alum_86 Wrote:My oldest daughter took both English AP exams and received credit for both at her university (local, private 4-year). She is also an English major so was happy to get out of the lower level courses and dig right in.

This is how it should be. College Board markets these as 2 different courses for sure. Why College Board isn't fighting ACE is beyond me.
Soonersiren Wrote:I called the College Board and asked about the tests. They kind of danced around the issue, but finally confirmed that most schools won't give credit for both exams.

Ok, like a dog with a bone, I have not yet let this go.
As it turns out, most schools DO award different credit for these 2 exams. Here is a wonderful feature I'd never found before- it's an AP look up tool! Rough experiment, I looked up 5 community colleges and 5 universities- all 100% awarded different credit for the 2 English exams. TESC and EC don't list their awards (as expected) but I am back to feeling like this is an error! https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/credi...t-policies
clep3705 Wrote:Curiously, the TESC general catalog does not say how much credit is granted for specific AP exams. With that being the case, the next place to look is the College Board's website: Thomas Edison State College - Accepts CLEP Credits - College Board | CLEP

I can't find the AP/TESC page. All I see is CLEP acceptance.

Passed:

American Gov, US History 1, US History 2, Computing, Info Systems, Humanities, Sociology, Art, Western Civ I, Western Civ II, Social Sciences and History, Civil War, Business, Vietnam, A&I Lit, Law Enforcement and Criminal Justice, American Lit, English Lit, Astronomy, Supervision, 1 FEMA, Total -79
The College Board (AP) directs you to the TESC site. Neither provides the answer.

https://apstudent.collegeboard.org/credi...on%2C%20NJ

AP Tests
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
operalady Wrote:I can't find the AP/TESC page. All I see is CLEP acceptance.

Yeah, it's a big mystery. We've cobbled together unofficial threads where we've been able to guestimate what they're awarding, but there isn't anything they've published that I can find.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 174,029 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Prerequisite and credit transfer question kblue6494 4 287 08-29-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: kblue6494
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 6 1,982 08-28-2024, 10:42 AM
  Quickest/Most inexpensive credit banking? Calstar 10 2,057 07-10-2024, 09:36 PM
  CPA prep course + 30 hours of Accounting credit for $2,970 freeloader 6 776 05-31-2024, 07:33 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 8 2,319 04-25-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  Diné College: $55 Credit Hour, $660 Full Time (12+ credits) Ares 19 3,048 02-23-2024, 11:14 AM
  Verified College Credit Transfers TINASAM 0 441 02-19-2024, 04:16 PM
Last Post: TINASAM
  Tohono O’odham Community College: $34.25 Credit Hour! Ares 3 1,095 02-07-2024, 12:24 PM
Question Extension Schools for Credit Transfer Tobutz 4 978 12-13-2023, 03:21 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso