Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ACTFL exams through UMPI
Has anyone had any luck bringing ACTFL/LTI exams into UMPI?  I have a friend who is fluent in Spanish and lives in Puerto Rico, and needs a degree.  I know that TESU will bring in the 4 ACTFL exams for 36cr (12 UL, 24 LL) plus the CLEP (9 LL) plus Study.com's SPA 105: Spanish for the Workplace (3 LL) for a total of 48cr that she can use in the AoS and GE.  Just trying to figure out if UMPI is quite as generous, since she has no RA credits.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 1 user Likes dfrecore's post:
  • park0902
https://www.actfl.org/assessment-researc...ssessments

ACTFL is ACE accreditied.

UMPI will take it.
Dr. Ashkir DHA, MBA, MAOL, PMP, GARA
[-] The following 1 user Likes ashkir's post:
  • Pikachu
Yeah, I'm trying to figure out if she's going to get the max credit for taking all 4 exams + the CLEP + the Study.com course - I need to know if any are considered duplicating. She wants 48cr like TESU gives. So I think I need to hear from someone who actually brought in credit.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
I know they will accept ACE or ACTFL, I'm also curious as to how many credits will come in at each level of language proficiency. Hopefully they follow the exact ACE recommendations. If so, I guess they'll be the same as what TESU brings them in as... I don't think anyone on the board has tried submitting their transfer to UMPI yet. I am just waiting to update my spreadsheets once I confirm...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I don't know if they'll grant more than 6. YourPace only has 4 foreign language classes. 2 Spansih 2 French
Dr. Ashkir DHA, MBA, MAOL, PMP, GARA
I took all of the ACTFL exams and was eligible for the max credit for each... but it was in a language they don't have there. They all came in as fulfilling the foreign language requirement, but I didn't get any UL and everything after the first exam ended up being redundant. It may be different for Spanish or French though.
I don't see UMPI giving the same credits TESU gives. UMPI doesn't double on anything. There's only Spanish 1 & 2 at UMPI. No UL Spanish. For French there's Elementary 1 & 2 and Intermediate 1 & 2. None of which are UL.
She doesn't care about the UL so much, just trying to get max number of credits.

It shouldn't matter what the school offers - if you take Spanish 1, 2, 3, 4, Spanish Lit, Spanish History, whatever - all at a 4yr school, wouldn't it make sense for UMPI to give you credit for all of those? Even if they don't offer it? It's not like they offer EVERYTHING, so there will always be courses that people want to bring in, and they should transfer in. Most schools do it that way.
(07-18-2021, 12:02 PM)dfrecore Wrote: She doesn't care about the UL so much, just trying to get max number of credits.

It shouldn't matter what the school offers - if you take Spanish 1, 2, 3, 4, Spanish Lit, Spanish History, whatever - all at a 4yr school, wouldn't it make sense for UMPI to give you credit for all of those?  Even if they don't offer it?  It's not like they offer EVERYTHING, so there will always be courses that people want to bring in, and they should transfer in.  Most schools do it that way.

These are transfer credits basically. It does matter if UMPI doesn't offer the course. I had classes they transferred but don't offer and they were labeled things such as Business Elective 1XX meaning a 100 level business elective. I had an English Law in Literature course come in as English 1XX. My Children's Literature course came in as EDU357 because it's a course they offer. The only courses that transferred in that I was given UL credit for transferred in are courses from CSU Global which were UL courses there. One came in as BUS3XX and one as GEL3XX meaning a general elective. None of my ACE credits transferred in as UL. It does matter if they offer it because of how courses are leveled and it matters where it fits into a degree plan. Depending on the degree she wants there are few electives like in the business degrees. 

You can always call and ask. I don't know if YourPace Admissions would have any idea about the credits though. I did login to my account and looked at the transfer equivalencies and so far no one has transferred any courses in from ACTFL. If they have then the system has not been updated. I don't know how often it's updated, but it is done regularly based on classes I've taken elsewhere and transferred in.
Jist as an fyi, the first test came over as a French elective (even though it was a different language). The rest all came over as LL general electives. The first satisfied the foreign language requirement. So in theory, I guess it could help someone. I was just disappointed because I need UL for the BLS and had hoped they'd use some of the ACTFL.

(07-14-2021, 04:56 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: I know they will accept ACE or ACTFL, I'm also curious as to how many credits will come in at each level of language proficiency.  Hopefully they follow the exact ACE recommendations.  If so, I guess they'll be the same as what TESU brings them in as... I don't think anyone on the board has tried submitting their transfer to UMPI yet.  I am just waiting to update my spreadsheets once I confirm...
This is exactly how they came over; hope it helps.

Attached Files
.jpg   Screenshot_20210719-085943_Chrome~01.jpg (Size: 46.01 KB / Downloads: 53)
[-] The following 1 user Likes nmnyc11's post:
  • Pikachu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Credit evaluation from UMPI lynnii2 5 477 2 hours ago
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI Assignment for Review kakasahib 8 847 Yesterday, 09:03 PM
Last Post: thomasfrank
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 125 91,644 Yesterday, 05:54 PM
Last Post: psychcs
  Denied Admission to UMPI doctorTorres 15 686 09-17-2024, 09:28 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BA History at UMPI course requirements majic29 9 707 09-15-2024, 07:01 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  UMPI English Composition I Old Guy 4 232 09-15-2024, 02:10 PM
Last Post: RJ77
Information UMPI Cost Increase to $1700 Per 8 Week Session Ares 0 227 09-14-2024, 05:54 PM
Last Post: Ares
  NEW UMPI UNDERGRADS -- USE THE DRAFTS ashkir 35 18,572 09-13-2024, 11:01 AM
Last Post: DavidGood
  How to send Duolingo results to UMPI Solden81 4 298 09-12-2024, 08:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  UMPI Plan and Progress AirborneAgent 19 1,324 09-12-2024, 04:22 PM
Last Post: AirborneAgent