Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
AAS at Pierpont Vs WVNCC (or other WV CC's)
Just wondering, for those who have chosen to take their AAS at one or the other WV CC, why did you chose them?

I'm considering taking my credits and sending them in for an AAS and then completing an ASNSM Biology at TESU.

Are there some differences between one from the other? I am doing some research, but they seem the same for requirements.

The main differences seem to be the application/graduation dates and deadlines. Anything else besides that? Thanks!
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • SDO
I chose WVNCC just because I think I knew it before any of the others, and more people on here seemed to be talking about it.

I decided to be my own little guinea pig, just to see what effort you'd need to get it. And, so far, I'm pretty disappointed in how long it's taken, and the lack of response. I have all of the credits needed, but they haven't updated my eval in spite of multiple attempts to get them to do so, in spite of my advisor there cc'ing the right person to do it when she did it strictly from the credits available (meaning I have all of the necessary transcripts already there waiting to be processed). I finally just emailed my graduation request, hoping that would get the process moving more quickly.

So, at this point, my advice is the go with someone else if you can.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
In the two bigger threads about BOG AAS degrees, someone said Pierpont will give you a concentration that shows up on your transcript. At least one of the others doesn't.

Also, the bigger issue seems to be certain schools requiring that you have community college credits (not at their specific school, but somewhere).

Pierpont seems kind of slow.

I chose WVNCC only because it was the first I seen on this forum. It took me just over one month from sending my transcripts and applying for graduation to graduating. The only negative thing I have to say about WVNCC is there is very.... very little communication from the school.
varJosh Wrote:I chose WVNCC only because it was the first I seen on this forum. It took me just over one month from sending my transcripts and applying for graduation to graduating. The only negative thing I have to say about WVNCC is there is very.... very little communication from the school.
I had about the same experience with WVNCC. Applied, sent transcripts. While the transcripts were on the way, I emailed my advisor with PDF copies and a list, to see if she thought the work would complete the requirements as I'd anticipated (it was about 85 credits worth). She emailed her response the next day. I sent in my graduation application at that point (before the official transcripts had been formally evaluated)...it arrived a couple of days before the deadline. I emailed the registrar to ask that, if my transcripts were too late for the conferral, would I need to resubmit - she replied the same day that they'd just hold the application over for the next round in June. Then I received an email from the registrar, with commencement ceremony and diploma details, about 2 weeks later. A week after that, I graduated! Smile

Pierpont specifically states that, to be eligible for the BoG AAS, their degree must be the first on your Clearinghouse file. I saw no similar requirement on any of the WVNCC papers. Pierpont states that you can request a 'concentration' with 15cr in something...WVNCC doesn't state that explicitly but I think I read that...dfrecore(?)'s advisor added a business concentration to hers?

I didn't look into any of the other options.

I went with WVNCC for a couple of reasons. First, their conferrals were coming up fast & furious all summer (May, June, and August) vs Pierpont's single summer conferral. Second, I had the chance to get in on the May conferral for WVNCC and actually attend graduation, which was a great boost for me before plowing into the really ugly part of my BS/MS summer coursework. (The Pierpont deadline had long passed.) Third...they're the WVNCC Thundering Chickens. C'mon, man. How could I not?! The t-shirts alone are worth the effort! Now that I'm an alum, I'll definitely be an active supporter/booster of the school. And my kids are thrilled that Mom is a Thundering Chicken. My oldest is considering sending transcripts, because he wants to be a Chicken, too. (I tell him he'll be a Legacy Chicken.)
SolarKat Wrote:...they're the WVNCC Thundering Chickens. C'mon, man. How could I not?! The t-shirts alone are worth the effort! Now that I'm an alum, I'll definitely be an active supporter/booster of the school. And my kids are thrilled that Mom is a Thundering Chicken. My oldest is considering sending transcripts, because he wants to be a Chicken, too. (I tell him he'll be a Legacy Chicken.)

I did NOT realize that I'd be a Thundering Chicken! So exciting, I can't wait!
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
SolarKat Wrote:Pierpont states that you can request a 'concentration' with 15cr in something...WVNCC doesn't state that explicitly but I think I read that...dfrecore(?)'s advisor added a business concentration to hers?

When my advisor did a quick eval, she did it by hand on a form, and it said (after the Gen Ed Requirements) "Electives (39)/Area of Emphasis" She put Business/Accounting in there.

Now, I have no clue if that means that you have to have all 39cr as Bus/Acct courses (I actually have that many) or if you only need 15cr for the Area of Emphasis. I also don't know if it will show up on my Diploma or Transcript. But, I went ahead and forwarded the Grad App to the registrar, and made sure that I requested the Area of Emphasis in Business/Accounting on the form (just wrote it in).

If I ever get it, I will let you all know what it says.
dfrecore Wrote:I did NOT realize that I'd be a Thundering Chicken! So exciting, I can't wait!
As mascots go, this is epic. Maybe even legendary. Definitely legendary. (The bookstore sells t-shirts not quite as epic as this, but still with a really scary chicken. I'm going to ask for mugs.)
[ATTACH=CONFIG]2323[/ATTACH]
Was the rooster already taken?
varJosh Wrote:Was the rooster already taken?

Maybe roosters don't flock well with others? Not sure... And actually, aren't thunder chickens really turkeys? (Really.)

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pierpont BOG Associates - speedrun before residency changes millionwords 26 1,374 11 hours ago
Last Post: FeFe_Fiona
  Pierpont Contacts - Please Do Not Spam Them tensen 20 5,389 Yesterday, 06:01 PM
Last Post: Bermy18
  Pierpont new residency requirement homeschoolmom1 62 6,521 Yesterday, 11:17 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Pierpont is still processing BOGs! lvl0rg4n 3 136 09-16-2024, 10:30 PM
  Pierpont BOG requirement / register before 10/4/24 Jkjy 29 1,851 09-16-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: delvin
  Pierpont BOG Progress AirborneAgent 10 1,205 09-15-2024, 05:38 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Anyone Have Issues Transferring Earned College Credits to Pierpont? Gumbeaux 20 3,653 09-13-2024, 08:25 PM
  Rest in peace, Pierpont BOG AAS? Robson 10 889 09-13-2024, 02:17 PM
Last Post: slaterjack
  Pierpont BOG inkwell 2 220 09-12-2024, 08:24 PM
  Pierpont BOG / 1 credit needed intheprocess 7 529 09-09-2024, 01:44 PM
Last Post: DThomas