Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why aren't transcript reviews automated?
Wow, they are that particular about looking at the dates that the classes were completed? I might need to shuffle some of my plans around then to ensure the completion dates are in the right order.
John L. Watson
Earned: WGU: BS-NOS (2019), WGU: MS-CSIA (2021)
Current Programs: UC: PhD in InfoSec (2025), AMA: DIT (2024), ENEB: MBA (2023)
Exam Priority: CEH (Practical), PMP, CISA, CISM
Future Plans: TBD - maybe an MS in Cannabis Science & Business, sounds like fun!
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges
(09-24-2019, 09:49 AM)jamshid666 Wrote: Wow, they are that particular about looking at the dates that the classes were completed?  I might need to shuffle some of my plans around then to ensure the completion dates are in the right order.

It depends on the school and major. Research TESU and see what their policy is.

Just an example the CC I went to required all students take a couruse having to do with computers as part of the gen eds. It could be transferred in but they said that had to be taken in the last 5 years to meet the requirement. Each school is different. Researchers TESu and ask them. I just know that if you are earning computer/tech related degree they might want current work.
If one thing could be automated it could be transcripts sent electronically from Study.com to TESU directly. That always seems to take a couple of weeks. I can understand the previous posts and their arguments for continued manual transcript verification. However, why does a transcript sent from directly from Study.com to TESU take the same amount of time to verify as a computer class from 1993 taken at a community college in the middle of nowhere? 

I've heard that TESU updates everyones academic eval in batches. Maybe this implies batch processing? I am not sure. It's 2019, is their DB environment and underlying infrastructure so anemic that after hours batch DB updates are their only option? Basic mainframe multi-tenancy should allow for the TESU staff to carry out their daily work without too much lag/performance hit while the DB updates in the background. 

I'm purely guessing here but maybe their OSS/student portal where students can look at their academic eval is running on a totally different system and every 2 weeks or so they do a mass copy of data from their internal DB to whatever server/cloud service that handles the student portal. If that is not the case and the data just sits in one spot the whole time then that means their main DB has to be queried every time just to render an academic eval HTTP request. 

What I am saying is even if you could automate transcripts, I am not sure their current data householding/infrastructure could allow for it.
Currently working on:  Capstone

Eastern University - (9 of 10 Courses Completed) (27 Credits)
Master's in Data Science

Western Governors University (WGU) - Completed in 2020.
Bachelor of Science, Business - Information Technology Management

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
SOPHIA (21 courses, 57 cr) 
Study.com (18 courses, 54 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
Eastern University (9 courses, 27 cr)
(09-24-2019, 11:18 AM)AwardTour Wrote: If one thing could be automated it could be transcripts sent electronically from Study.com to TESU directly. That always seems to take a couple of weeks. I can understand the previous posts and their arguments for continued manual transcript verification. However, why does a transcript sent from directly from Study.com to TESU take the same amount of time to verify as a computer class from 1993 taken at a community college in the middle of nowhere? 

I've heard that TESU updates everyones academic eval in batches. Maybe this implies batch processing? I am not sure. It's 2019, is their DB environment and underlying infrastructure so anemic that after hours batch DB updates are their only option? Basic mainframe multi-tenancy should allow for the TESU staff to carry out their daily work without too much lag/performance hit while the DB updates in the background. 

I'm purely guessing here but maybe their OSS/student portal where students can look at their academic eval is running on a totally different system and every 2 weeks or so they do a mass copy of data from their internal DB to whatever server/cloud service that handles the student portal. If that is not the case and the data just sits in one spot the whole time then that means their main DB has to be queried every time just to render an academic eval HTTP request. 

What I am saying is even if you could automate transcripts, I am not sure their current data householding/infrastructure could allow for it.

I applied to TESU over the weekend, and I've already noticed the past couple days that the student portal frequently reports Error 500 codes which leads me to think either the front-end web server is underpowered or the database is.  I also find it sad that I can get to the Tomcat splash page, that bothers me from a security standpoint.  I wonder if TESU has ever paid for any penetration testing services to check the security of their systems, especially the outside facing ones.
John L. Watson
Earned: WGU: BS-NOS (2019), WGU: MS-CSIA (2021)
Current Programs: UC: PhD in InfoSec (2025), AMA: DIT (2024), ENEB: MBA (2023)
Exam Priority: CEH (Practical), PMP, CISA, CISM
Future Plans: TBD - maybe an MS in Cannabis Science & Business, sounds like fun!
LinkedIn
Omni Transcript
Credly Badges
[-] The following 1 user Likes jamshid666's post:
  • quigongene
(09-24-2019, 11:26 AM)jamshid666 Wrote:
(09-24-2019, 11:18 AM)AwardTour Wrote: If one thing could be automated it could be transcripts sent electronically from Study.com to TESU directly. That always seems to take a couple of weeks. I can understand the previous posts and their arguments for continued manual transcript verification. However, why does a transcript sent from directly from Study.com to TESU take the same amount of time to verify as a computer class from 1993 taken at a community college in the middle of nowhere? 

I applied to TESU over the weekend, and I've already noticed the past couple days that the student portal frequently reports Error 500 codes which leads me to think either the front-end web server is underpowered or the database is.  I also find it sad that I can get to the Tomcat splash page, that bothers me from a security standpoint.  I wonder if TESU has ever paid for any penetration testing services to check the security of their systems, especially the outside facing ones.

Kinda pathetic if a school offering an MS in Cybersecurity might not have done any penetration testing....
Completed:
BA History & Psychology, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020
ASNSM Mathematics, Thomas Edison State University, March 2020

Up Next:
JD, Cornell Law School, Class of 2024

Link to all credits earned: Link
(09-24-2019, 11:26 AM)jamshid666 Wrote:

Interesting, I never looked under the hood. You no doubt have the security chops to take a deeper look. I don't think they have the horsepower to handle the load from concurrent users so they maybe update in batches and take the OSS offline to ensure a complete update during their maintenance window. I have no idea what TESU's security posture looks like.

Master's in Data Science

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)

I don't think it's a matter of verifying the courses from Study.com, I think that TESU is not in a huge rush to do anything.  I rarely hear anyone here say that their courses get evaluated more quickly than the 25 days allowed.  So, it's like things come in, they put it in the computerized version of a tickler-file for 25 business days from now, and then they do the eval on that day, and not a moment sooner.  COSC and WGU do evals in a couple of days, on average.  COSC is tiny, WGU is huge, and yet they both get an eval to you within a week, usually less.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
(09-24-2019, 12:04 PM)dfrecore Wrote:

I don't think it's a matter of verifying the courses from Study.com, I think that TESU is not in a huge rush to do anything.  I rarely hear anyone here say that their courses get evaluated more quickly than the 25 days allowed.  So, it's like things come in, they put it in the computerized version of a tickler-file for 25 business days from now, and then they do the eval on that day, and not a moment sooner.  COSC and WGU do evals in a couple of days, on average.  COSC is tiny, WGU is huge, and yet they both get an eval to you within a week, usually less.
That is probably a function of the update/maintenance window that we have been discussing above. I doubt there is throttling/self-imposed slowdown unless it is being done in the name of being fair by treating everyone with equally snail-paced turnaround times.

Master's in Data Science

TEEX (3 courses, 10 cr)  
The Institutes (3 cr) 
NFA (1 cr)  
ALEKS (3 cr) 
WGU (12 courses, 38 CUs)
I'm enrolled at TESU and have taken one course so far with them a 1 unit one. They already had my old transcripts and I sent another one from the last year of CC classes that I have completed. It took them about a week to evaluate them. 
There are classes that don't quite fit into a nice format. For example my two introductory Accounting classes that I took in my local CC are both 4 units each.  TESU's equivalent are only 3 units each. Kind of interesting how Intermediate Accounting is a 3 unit class at TESU while Intro to Financial Accounting was a 4 unit class at my local CC. 
Also for my Associate's degree plan they take Intermediate Algebra for the quantitative literacy. That same class also came in as a 4 unit elective in the Accounting Degree plan, which moved things around a bit. 
Those 4 unit classes also caused the BSBA to require 122 units to complete instead of the usual 120 units.
(09-24-2019, 06:59 PM)Rustydroid Wrote: I'm enrolled at TESU and have taken one course so far with them a 1 unit one. They already had my old transcripts and I sent another one from the last year of CC classes that I have completed. It took them about a week to evaluate them. 
There are classes that don't quite fit into a nice format. For example my two introductory Accounting classes that I took in my local CC are both 4 units each.  TESU's equivalent are only 3 units each. Kind of interesting how Intermediate Accounting is a 3 unit class at TESU while Intro to Financial Accounting was a 4 unit class at my local CC. 
Also for my Associate's degree plan they take Intermediate Algebra for the quantitative literacy. That same class also came in as a 4 unit elective in the Accounting Degree plan, which moved things around a bit. 
Those 4 unit classes also caused the BSBA to require 122 units to complete instead of the usual 120 units.

So schools can make courses worth whatever they want.  My CC was a 4cr course for Financial Accounting, but I've been at other schools and it was 3cr.

For Intermediate Algebra coming in as an Accounting Elective, that's wrong, and there will probably be a fix to it, or they will see it during the graduation audit when the time comes, and move it.  So, I would get that fixed before you want to graduate.  Also, it won't count as your Quant Lit requirement (I'm assuming you're getting a BSBA?).  You need College Algebra to fulfill Quant Lit for that degree.  If you're getting a BALS, then it WOULD go in Quant Lit, and you need them to move it.  For a BSBA, it's a GE Elective.

As far as TESU requiring 122cr, that's not the case at all.  You only need 120.  They will subtract the 2cr needed from Free Electives.  If it ends up that you have more than 120cr, and they can't break out the extra 2cr (from a 3cr course), then you'll just have extra credits - but that is not TESU requiring more than 120cr.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Exclamation Schools that list A+'s on transcript in any way? JumbledSpirit 3 467 02-19-2024, 06:23 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  ASU CIS-194 Transcript vesparza15 3 589 10-13-2023, 10:47 AM
Last Post: vesparza15
  International Transcript Evaluation bradonomics 14 1,367 06-27-2023, 11:36 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Lost transcript mlohjj 13 1,271 11-15-2022, 02:01 PM
Last Post: SweetSecret
  Transcript hold at college. How to finish CS degree elsewhere? HawkofDarkness 35 2,848 10-18-2022, 11:38 AM
Last Post: Alpha
  Transcript Designations vintage_jacket 2 615 09-08-2022, 03:29 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  My master "Omni Transcript" jsd 26 6,538 09-03-2022, 02:53 PM
Last Post: jsd
Lightbulb "Arizona State Wants to Revolutionize the College Transcript" jsd 6 1,357 08-12-2021, 10:06 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Admissions/Transcript issues *ugh* Vle045 12 1,616 07-17-2021, 04:34 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Templates: High School/Home School Diploma & Transcript bjcheung77 1 1,140 06-03-2021, 06:32 PM
Last Post: P226mem