Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What are UMass Global MyPath classes like?
(03-02-2023, 01:45 AM)pluggingalong Wrote: Does anyone know what the classes are like at UMass Global MyPath?  I believe they are CBE, but I didn't know if they were test-centric essay-centric, or something else.

I recently joined and dropped out of a good online school because it seemed like I was unable to remember anything I read. Even simple quizzes. I helped take care of an older friend who had dementia, and I was seriously concerned I was now suffering from it.  Yet, I am able to remember things I read in physical books. After some research, I see that there is a difference in retention of material when read from a digital book versus a physical book. It has to do with the way the brain remembers things, and the location on the page is part of that process. Scrolling through material on a screen can make it much harder for the brain to remember it.  Most people are not affected by this condition, but some are affected significantly. I think I am one of the latter.  After looking in to what you can do about it, the two main fixes seem to be getting physical copies of the books, or manually copying the material in to a notebook.  

With physical books, I can creep through them reading over things I already know, and high-lightening new information.  When I re-read the material, I can jump right to the high-lighted parts. Earlier I had asked about online colleges where you can get physical copies of books, some people were curious why. This is why. 

I was failing French in HS and was sent to a tutor. She had me try different methods like reading and listen-and-repeat tapes ("Ecoute et repete!"),  but nothing worked until she made me just write everything down.  I had to write the English and French words 3 times, which sort of worked.  Then I had to write them 10 times, which I hated, but I remembered everything.  I had so much French on the brain, I started answering tests in other classes in French. I expect this method will still work, though I would have to be really desperate. Which is where I am now.

I'm too embarrassed to go back to any of the schools I've previously backed out of, so I was looking for another one that was an online self-paced CBE.  If a college is self-paced, I don't see a major need to do a lot Sophia/Study.com transfers, unless the S/S one is easier (some people have mentioned that is often the case).  I started looking for a school where I could take one class at a time, do the work, and move on to the next class at my own speed.  I can certainly take S/S classes, especially if the college's class was know to be problematic. I found Umass Global, SNHU, and maybe Purdue Global, as schools that had a plain-vanilla BS IT degree. I had never looked at UMass Global or SNHU before, for some reason I thought they were for-profit, or somehow less serious schools. I thought Purdue Global require Calculus, but that also seems to be wrong.

The first one I am looking in to is UMass Global, which there doesn't seem to be much information about.  Their YT videos show you have to do some online discussions so they know you are alive, and mentions some essay papers.  Does anyone have any experience with them? This is the degree I was looking at:

https://www.umassglobal.edu/academic-pro...ogy-mypath
Hi, which one did you end up taking? I am looking into doing UMass Global, and the second option is TESU for me. International student and under 20, so WGU and UMPI are out the picture - also super sus about For-profit...
(11-24-2023, 04:11 AM)iamethan Wrote: Hi, which one did you end up taking? I am looking into doing UMass Global, and the second option is TESU for me. International student and under 20, so WGU and UMPI are out the picture - also super sus about For-profit...

If you really want UMass, that's fine. But UMPI isn't out of the question. We've had many international graduates of UMPI. What gave you the impression that only US students can attend?
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
(11-24-2023, 04:38 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(11-24-2023, 04:11 AM)iamethan Wrote: Hi, which one did you end up taking? I am looking into doing UMass Global, and the second option is TESU for me. International student and under 20, so WGU and UMPI are out the picture - also super sus about For-profit...

If you really want UMass, that's fine. But UMPI isn't out of the question. We've had many international graduates of UMPI. What gave you the impression that only US students can attend?

UMPI YourPace accepts 20 or older, OP's under 20. The main thing I don't get is what they're referring to as 'sus'... None of these institutions mentioned are for-profit, that's the confusing part. @iamethan, you really need to provide more details by filling in the addendum and template here in a thread for yourself: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

UMPI is NOT out of the picture for international students! UMPI has a large number of international students especially in YourPace. They also have a decent number of international students on campus and not just from Canada. 

Depending on how old you are and how long it takes you to complete courses on Sophia and Study to transfer them into UMPI, you could be 20 by the time you're ready to enroll. I've seen a few people wait until they're 20 to enroll and finish UMPI in a few months.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • origamishuttle
UMPI does allow international students and are friendly to international.

Many of UMASS' MyPath degrees were designed by Strut Learning, it's why UMPI and UMASS' classes seem so similar. They used the same designer.
Dr. Ashkir DHA, MBA, MAOL, PMP, GARA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) No Application Fee LevelUP 2 102 04-25-2024, 08:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
Lightbulb Purdue University Global - BA Information Technology [Review & Advice] 9yeire 49 7,563 04-04-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  For purdue global whats discrete mathematics like? purduestudent 2 261 02-26-2024, 04:18 AM
  Colorado State University GLOBAL? GoBroncos95 3 771 01-30-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  TAMUC BAAS Organizational Leadership - Only 15 Classes To Go! mohelena02 47 6,284 01-11-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  umass global b20 9 1,824 10-05-2023, 11:01 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Perdue Global BSIT SD/Web pluggingalong 1 398 09-07-2023, 03:47 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Purdue Global BS IT Software Development projects pluggingalong 13 1,380 09-07-2023, 06:36 AM
Last Post: pluggingalong
  Purdue University Global - BA IT Bunch of Changes LevelUP 15 1,437 07-16-2023, 02:00 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Purdue Global Masters in IT -- certification credit walruspanda 3 998 04-18-2023, 12:53 AM