Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Purdue University Global - BA IT Bunch of Changes
(07-14-2023, 05:10 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(07-12-2023, 03:51 PM)walruspanda Wrote: Because I asked, I know that IT244 will not work for IT Management (Sophia Python) -- I'm told it's because it's a three-credit class rather than five or six. You could do Project+ (not a hard cert -- I passed it in about a week), which would give you IT401 -- which will work for the IT Management concentration -- as well as not needing to do Sophia for IT301.

Sophia courses convert from the semester system to the quarter system (just like any other course would do): multiply 3cr x 3/2 = 4.5qcr.  But they generally just round up and bring in 3cr courses as 5qcr; and I know this because my daughter goes there, and transferred in tons of credit including a Sophia course, and they gave her a rounded up amount of credits for every course she brought in.  You can also see that they give it 4.5qcr here: https://purdueglobal.sophia.org/?_gl=1*1.....#courses

So no, the person who told you that info is wrong.

There's probably another reason entirely that it won't work for that degree; I'm going to guess, based on the equivalency that they gave the course, that it's because it's a smidge lower level than the course they require for the degree, and that it just doesn't meet the requirements of the course.  Simple as that.

If you look at the Cybersecurity degree or course description, you'll see that Python is 3 credits at PUG.

https://catalog.purdueglobal.edu/undergr...eeplantext

https://catalog.purdueglobal.edu/undergr...ptions/it/
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(07-14-2023, 05:10 PM)dfrecore Wrote: Sophia courses convert from the semester system to the quarter system (just like any other course would do): multiply 3cr x 3/2 = 4.5qcr.  But they generally just round up and bring in 3cr courses as 5qcr; and I know this because my daughter goes there, and transferred in tons of credit including a Sophia course, and they gave her a rounded up amount of credits for every course she brought in.  You can also see that they give it 4.5qcr here: https://purdueglobal.sophia.org/?_gl=1*1.....#courses

That's true for almost every Sophia course there...but not Introduction to Python Programming. That course brings in, per your link, "IT244 Python Programming + IT1.5L Information Technology Elective - Lower Level" -- in other words, three credits for IT244, and the rest as generic IT credit that's useless you need more credits to get to 180. They're handling it that weird way because IT244 is one of the very few three-credit classes in IT at PUG (only that and IT333, I believe).
Purdue University Global
in-progress: EdD in Leadership and Innovation (IT cognate), expected December 2025
completed: MS in Information Technology, March 2024

completed: BS in Information Technology (IT Management concentration), October 2023
[-] The following 1 user Likes walruspanda's post:
  • LevelUP
(07-14-2023, 06:04 PM)walruspanda Wrote: (only that and IT333, I believe).

IT333 isn't exceltrack so you can't take that course.

I was wondering if there were any 1, 2, 3 credit courses as a part of Exceltrack?  The reason is if you were 1-3 credit short, then you could take a small course and finish quickly instead of a 5 or 6-credit course.

If you did at least 5 X 6cr courses 30cr
Then 3 X 5cr courses 15cr
You would have 45cr or 8 courses to do. Otherwise, you would need 9 to complete your degree.

I found these courses:

CM241: Foundations of Technical Communication 2cr
CS204: Professionalism - Theory and Practice in the Global Workplace 3cr
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
Has anyone tried using the newest link for their IT certificates I posted earlier to create a degree plan based off that? Some courses don't even seem to be part of the degree at all... Just curious, is there an option to substitute courses from these certificates into the BSIT concentrations or emphasis they have in the list?
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(07-11-2023, 11:25 AM)LevelUP Wrote: There were quite a few changes and updates to the degree plan. 
  • W3Schools PHP cert now only comes in as IN253 (5cr vs 35cr+ before)
(07-14-2023, 07:23 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Has anyone tried using the newest link for their IT certificates I posted earlier to create a degree plan based off that?  Some courses don't even seem to be part of the degree at all...

Hmm... so a case of BA IT and switch?

Big Grin

...I'll see myself out.
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes origamishuttle's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
(07-14-2023, 05:57 PM)LevelUP Wrote:
(07-14-2023, 05:10 PM)dfrecore Wrote:
(07-12-2023, 03:51 PM)walruspanda Wrote: Because I asked, I know that IT244 will not work for IT Management (Sophia Python) -- I'm told it's because it's a three-credit class rather than five or six. You could do Project+ (not a hard cert -- I passed it in about a week), which would give you IT401 -- which will work for the IT Management concentration -- as well as not needing to do Sophia for IT301.

Sophia courses convert from the semester system to the quarter system (just like any other course would do): multiply 3cr x 3/2 = 4.5qcr.  But they generally just round up and bring in 3cr courses as 5qcr; and I know this because my daughter goes there, and transferred in tons of credit including a Sophia course, and they gave her a rounded up amount of credits for every course she brought in.  You can also see that they give it 4.5qcr.

So no, the person who told you that info is wrong.

There's probably another reason entirely that it won't work for that degree; I'm going to guess, based on the equivalency that they gave the course, that it's because it's a smidge lower level than the course they require for the degree, and that it just doesn't meet the requirements of the course.  Simple as that.

If you look at the Cybersecurity degree or course description, you'll see that Python is 3 credits at PUG.

https://catalog.purdueglobal.edu/undergr...eeplantext

https://catalog.purdueglobal.edu/undergr...ptions/it/

Except that the OP said they were looking at IT Management, not Cybersecurity, and the courses in IT Management require higher-level Python courses:
https://catalog.purdueglobal.edu/undergr...ntext-otp1

They want IN250: SW Dev Concepts using Python and/or IN254: SW Design & Dev Concepts using Python.  So the Sophia course would not meet those requirements.  It comes in as IT244: Python Programming, which is lower level than those and not the same material.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) No Application Fee LevelUP 2 96 04-25-2024, 08:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of the People Experiences ashkir 61 10,359 04-08-2024, 04:18 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
Lightbulb Purdue University Global - BA Information Technology [Review & Advice] 9yeire 49 7,561 04-04-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  Lifestyle Prescriptions University ADC2305 2 342 03-18-2024, 10:35 PM
Last Post: ADC2305
  University of Wisconsin - Flexible Program (BSBA Degree) KanekiGirl99 2 424 03-16-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  For purdue global whats discrete mathematics like? purduestudent 2 261 02-26-2024, 04:18 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program MikeHez 28 6,031 02-25-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  University of the People - Fee Price Hike bjcheung77 21 3,653 02-01-2024, 12:02 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Colorado State University GLOBAL? GoBroncos95 3 770 01-30-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  University of AZ: Are these 10-wk Business Analytics Cert Courses Worth the $? Claudia P 3 462 01-18-2024, 01:42 PM
Last Post: Tomas