Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
University of Wisconsin - Flexible Program (BSBA Degree)
Hello, I wanted to write about my experience taking the Business of Science in Business Administration (BSBA) at University of Wisconsin - Parkside (Flexible) degree. Initially, I was very excited to get started. The enrollment process was rather quick and seamless. They even accepted pretty much all my college credits, so I transferred in with 73 College credits. Obviously I was super stoked! But that excitement soon turned into confusion and regret. 

The classes they have are in Canvas. It is not competency based nor do you take any assessments to test out what you already know; in comparison to The Strut Learning platform UMPI and UMass uses, and/or even WGU's own learning platform. The UW Flexible program is pretty much a traditional college format that is fully online, but without any due dates. It has a ton of work for each course: Heavy writing for papers, crazy projects, and ultimately even final assessments or exams. There's several "competencies" within one course and within the assignments for the course. Also, the syllabus's have incorrect information and a lot of the information provided in the canvas courses/assignments have broken links and are outdated.

If you're okay with going to a program that isn't CBE, doesn't give you letter grades, requires physical books for most courses, and is pretty much a traditional college school setting then by all means, give it a go. But if you are looking for a true CBE school, please look into WGU, UMPI, and/or UMass. 

Although, it does seem like letter grades are given for general education courses, but I have yet to confirm this.

Here is the BSBA Course Catalog:
Business of Science in Business Administration Course Catalog

General Ed Course Catalog Options for Parkside:
General Ed Courses for UW Parkside

General Education Courses Syllabus:
BIO 141: Heredity
HES 209: Nutrition and Weight Management Course

Here are some of the course syllabus for the first few courses I'm signed up for directly related to the BSBA:
Microeconomic Market Analysis I
Introduction to Business Administration
Sales Data Analysis and Communication Using Spreadsheets and Statistics

My Academic Plan of Study: Shows what is left and etc. in order to complete the BSBA:
APS

I hope this helps anyone considering University of Wisconsin - Flexible degree option. I took a chance since there was very limited information on this program. I do realize that nothing is ever one size fits all, so this may be work well for someone. But I would NOT recommend this to anyone who wants a competency based degree with the intent of completing it quickly.
[-] The following 1 user Likes KanekiGirl99's post:
  • LevelUP
That's a very good review post! Hmm, that's what most degrees/institutions are like, there really isn't any one-size-fits-all model, the closest would be a BALS, BSLA, BLS, or any degree that allows you to have 60 credits of free electives to choose anything that interests you, there are very few institutions have a degree that allows up to 60 credits of electives.
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • KanekiGirl99
Great feedback.

The biggest problem with the UW Flex program is that it doesn't take alternative credit providers such as Sophia, Study.com, etc., and only takes about half of the CLEP exams.

I wondered what would happen if someone started from scratch at that program or had a lot of RA credit to transfer in. It seems like it would be slow to complete the program.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) No Application Fee LevelUP 2 98 04-25-2024, 08:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of the People Experiences ashkir 61 10,360 04-08-2024, 04:18 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  TAMUC Competency Based Program List bjcheung77 86 13,249 04-07-2024, 12:02 AM
Last Post: Bsnipedavis
Lightbulb Purdue University Global - BA Information Technology [Review & Advice] 9yeire 49 7,561 04-04-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
Smile Jacksonville State U. JSU Try It program. New course for Fall 2024. Completely Free sixdegreesandamovie 3 343 04-01-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: jch
  Lifestyle Prescriptions University ADC2305 2 342 03-18-2024, 10:35 PM
Last Post: ADC2305
  PUG has removed some master's degree programs from ExcelTrack RbxFunRocks 28 1,343 03-09-2024, 06:31 AM
Last Post: PositiveBelgae
  Name Brand, RA, State School Degree - Penn State World PreLawCoastie 7 1,280 03-02-2024, 07:56 PM
Last Post: PreLawCoastie
  University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program MikeHez 28 6,031 02-25-2024, 01:54 PM
Last Post: ItsNeverTheLionsYear
  University of the People - Fee Price Hike bjcheung77 21 3,654 02-01-2024, 12:02 AM
Last Post: MrPanda