Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program
University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program. Coursework takes place in subscription periods, rather than semesters. These subscription periods start every single month, and are approximately 12 weeks long. Tuition is a flat rate of $2,250 per subscription period

https://flex.wisconsin.edu/degrees-programs/

Degree Programs
Associate of Arts and Sciences
 (UW-Milwaukee)
B.S. in Business Administration
 (UW-Parkside)
B.S. in Biomedical Sciences Diagnostic Imaging
 (UW-Milwaukee)
B.S. in Biomedical Sciences Health Sciences
(UW-Milwaukee)
B.S. in Information Science and Technology
 (UW-Milwaukee)
B.S. in Nursing, RN to BSN
 (UW-Milwaukee)
[-] The following 3 users Like MikeHez's post:
  • hartichu, Pikachu, SophiaPrincess
Yup, they're listed on the wiki here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Co...d_Programs For various reasons, they're not going to be attractive to most students. UMPI is faster/cheaper for a Business degree, WGU for Nursing. WGU or TESU for IT (depeding on need). But if you really want a Biomedical degree, it's not bad.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • KanekiGirl99, Pikachu, SophiaPrincess
(05-15-2023, 01:57 PM)MikeHez Wrote: University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program. Coursework takes place in subscription periods, rather than semesters. These subscription periods start every single month, and are approximately 12 weeks long. Tuition is a flat rate of $2,250 per subscription period

Degree Programs
 (UW-Milwaukee)
 (UW-Parkside)
 (UW-Milwaukee)
(UW-Milwaukee)
 (UW-Milwaukee)
 (UW-Milwaukee)
Mike,

Are you doing any of these now?
University of Wisconsin is a great option for someone who has RA credits for their Associates degree as I don't think they're alternative credit friendly (as in ACE/NCCRS options such as Sophia/Study.com and so on). I do believe they take CLEP/AP/IB, internal challenge exams, etc though...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • SophiaPrincess
(05-18-2023, 08:47 PM)Katerinah Wrote:
(05-15-2023, 01:57 PM)MikeHez Wrote: University of Wisconsin has a self-paced, competency-based program. Coursework takes place in subscription periods, rather than semesters. These subscription periods start every single month, and are approximately 12 weeks long. Tuition is a flat rate of $2,250 per subscription period

Degree Programs
 (UW-Milwaukee)
 (UW-Parkside)
 (UW-Milwaukee)
(UW-Milwaukee)
 (UW-Milwaukee)
 (UW-Milwaukee)
Mike,

My bad for the late reply. No i am not, i am currently enrolled in my pace at UMPI. I was surprised that the school had a competency-based program because of the reputation but yeah i couldn't go back and start over.
(05-21-2023, 03:32 AM)MikeHez Wrote:
(05-18-2023, 08:47 PM)Katerinah Wrote:

Degree Programs
 (UW-Milwaukee)
 (UW-Parkside)
 (UW-Milwaukee)
(UW-Milwaukee)
 (UW-Milwaukee)
 (UW-Milwaukee)
Mike,

My bad for the late reply. No i am not, i am currently enrolled in my pace at UMPI. I was surprised that the school had a competency-based program because of the reputation but yeah i couldn't go back and start over.
These degrees are awarded by u of wisc, Milwaukee and Parkside, not flagship Madison. I would not probably regard them as having a significantly better reputation than that of UMPI.
[-] The following 2 users Like xianbd's post:
  • Pikachu, SophiaPrincess
Somebody knows how the courses are structured?
Are all final exams (which makes possible to quick finish several courses if you can study quick) or are papers (which somebody can prefer, even when slower)?
The Biomedical Sciences degrees stand out to me. Not everyday you see a CBE Diagnostic Imaging degree lol.

One thing to keep in mind is that these degree programs seem to have degree-specific prerequisites to applying.
  • Business Administration - 10+ Transferrable Credits
  • Nursing - Active RN License, Nursing Degree or Diploma
  • Information Technology - 1 Years of IT Work Experience
  • Health Sciences - Associates Degree or 60+ Transferrable Credits
  • Diagnostic Imaging - Associates Degree in related field or hospital-based diagnostic imaging training program
One thing I am curious to know is if someone who has an associates (or above) + a lot of spare time can realistically complete one of these degrees (especially Health Sciences) in one subscription period.
Applying to law school for Fall 2024!

UMPI
BA Accounting (In Progress)
BA History & Political Science (2022)

Florida State University
BS Economics (2022)
BS International Affairs (2022)
Minor Mathematics (2022)
[-] The following 2 users Like RbxFunRocks's post:
  • lucillegyl, Pikachu
I looked for some info about the UW Flex programs. Here's what I was able to find:

Source - https://www.reddit.com/r/UWMilwaukee/com...ree_audit/

This Reddit post includes a comment that talks about a student's experience with the IT degree program. This is what the comment says:

Quote:No, no degree prior. Started with 0 college credits. The coursework was not challenging but this was not an issue for me as my motivation was to just have a degree from a mid-tier school as quickly as possible. The Information studies / IT courses don’t really have any real-world applicability but I guess most of college is this way - I just felt this way because I’m already an experienced IT professional and I would look at the coursework and be like seriously? What made it challenging was my quest to finish it in 12 months at the pace of 30 credits (10 courses) per 3 month term. I did end up accomplishing this. This required a lot of discipline - 4-6 hours a day during the week and 8 hours a day every weekend plus some all nighters towards the end of the term is what it takes to maintain that pace. Once you’re done with the Information Studies courses...it tends to get boring because for most of the general ED stuff you’re just mostly writing papers. A skill that will come in handy is quickly figuring out which of the supplied material is relevant and which is not. If you read through all the material, then maintaining pace becomes difficult. Had some issues with some of my stuff not being graded on time throwing my schedule off. A slower pace to aim for is one course every two weeks....this is doable for at least 70% of the courses if not more if you put in the time. I learned more about staying committed to a long-term project (I have a very short attention span and known to not complete projects once they are no longer mentally stimulating) then I did anything from the coursework itself.

Good luck on your journey!

tl;dr
  • The gen ed has a lot of writing
  • It takes time for the teachers to grade
  • A reasonable expectation is one course every two weeks (w/ 4-6 hrs weekdays & 8 hrs weekends)

Source - https://www.reddit.com/r/college/comment...degree_in/

This student transferred out of UW Flex, having had a bad experience.

Quote:I was in the UW-Flex program but transferred to the regular UWM online program after a year. I don’t recommend going the flex path. One main reason is that your discouraged from asking the instructors questions, even though the program advertises you can. Good luck getting a response without your advisor. Half the time you don’t know who your instructor is. I’m much happier in the traditional courses. Flex wasn’t worth the stress. UWM’s SOIS is a notable school, and I couldn’t be happier with the IST degree through the traditional learning method.

Quote:Most assignments are out of a max of 5 or 10 points. You have to pass each competency set within the course. If you fail an assignment, you have a second chance to redo it. If you can’t bring that assignment up to a passing grade, you will fail the class. Even if you get a 100% on all other assignments, you will fail. There is no averaging. Each class is setup different, but this is the general gist on grading. It’s not as scary as it sounds if you put in a full effort for each assignment. However, instructors tend to grade more strictly. It would be scary if your the type of learner who only puts in enough effort to scrape by. The “D’s get degrees” motto doesn’t work in the flex scenario.

tl;dr
  • Lack of instructor responsiveness
  • 2nd chance for assignments, but must pass. You'll fail the entire class if you fail the assignment (even if you get 100% on every other one).
  • Competencies within courses

Source - https://www.reddit.com/r/UWMilwaukee/com...le_option/

It looks like there was a much more in-depth comment under this Reddit post. It's gone, but at least the reply includes some specific info about the UW Flex classes.

Quote:Thanks for your comment! Im about to finish up my first subscription, and goodness gracious you werent kidding about the essays. I knew there'd be a lot of writing but some classes have 5-6 competency sets which is sooooo tedious. Which degree did you go for if you dont mind me asking?

tl;dr
  • You have to do a lot of writing
  • Some classes have 5-6 competencies

Overall, from the looks of it, it appears that most students do not have many great experiences with these programs. It could also be that students w/ good experiences don't care enough to post much about them. Still, I'd tread with caution if anyone is considering applying.

There might be (and probably is) some more reviews out there, but I haven't been able to find much else.
Applying to law school for Fall 2024!

UMPI
BA Accounting (In Progress)
BA History & Political Science (2022)

Florida State University
BS Economics (2022)
BS International Affairs (2022)
Minor Mathematics (2022)
[-] The following 5 users Like RbxFunRocks's post:
  • jch, origamishuttle, rachel83az, SophiaPrincess, ss20ts
I just came across this thread while doing research on UW-Parkside's MBA with a concentration in Human Resources. 
I am currently working on my BABA, Project Mgmt & Info Sys at UMPI, and starting to explore Master's options.
I have a combination of 35 RA Gen Ed credits, 12 CLEP credits, 50+ Sophia/SDC credits, and I will finish UMPI with 45 credits. 

I am curious if anyone with an UMPI Bachelor's has applied to any of the UW Master's programs and how their ACE/CLEP/Sophia/Alternative credits were received.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  University of Maryland Global Campus (UMGC) No Application Fee LevelUP 2 103 04-25-2024, 08:44 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  University of the People Experiences ashkir 61 10,364 04-08-2024, 04:18 PM
Last Post: GoBroncos95
  TAMUC Competency Based Program List bjcheung77 86 13,254 04-07-2024, 12:02 AM
Last Post: Bsnipedavis
Lightbulb Purdue University Global - BA Information Technology [Review & Advice] 9yeire 49 7,565 04-04-2024, 05:43 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
Smile Jacksonville State U. JSU Try It program. New course for Fall 2024. Completely Free sixdegreesandamovie 3 344 04-01-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: jch
  Lifestyle Prescriptions University ADC2305 2 344 03-18-2024, 10:35 PM
Last Post: ADC2305
  University of Wisconsin - Flexible Program (BSBA Degree) KanekiGirl99 2 425 03-16-2024, 02:45 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  TAMUC RN-to-BSN Competency Based ReyMysterioso 8 519 02-17-2024, 07:04 PM
Last Post: indigoshuffle
  University of the People - Fee Price Hike bjcheung77 21 3,659 02-01-2024, 12:02 AM
Last Post: MrPanda
  Colorado State University GLOBAL? GoBroncos95 3 771 01-30-2024, 09:26 PM
Last Post: LevelUP