Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New considering UMPI but….
Example I use often is Supermind, TESU AS Math plus BALS Psych, ladder to Walden MS Psych, add PSY CHI society membership.  It comes from a public/state institution first as a backbone/starting point, exclusive online Masters as a ladder, finish with additional membership.  If that's the pathway you want to go and you're interested in a MS Psych, you don't really need a BA Psych to get in as I mentioned in your previous post here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid417166

Again, "Some people want to minor in those subjects, just in case they want to get into a Masters with that subject matter. Generally, for most subjects, you don't have to do a specific undergrad to get into a graduate program, you just need the entry requirements or prerequisites completed."  Having said that in my previous post, it depends on what you are looking for at the Masters level and which institution you're going with, you really need to make sure you hit all the entry requirements and that's it...

My suggestion is BLS minor in Psych if you're going to a MS Psych in the future.  If you're going into a different Masters subject, such as UMPI MAOL, you can add the 3-4 classes that can transfer from the Bachelors to Masters.  If you are going for a completely different Masters, such as MBA, you can still do the BLS and make the switch to say HAU MBA for $3K.  However, if you're going to a specific Masters and it requires a BA Psych (and not accept a BLS), then do the BA Psych...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I still have ways to go. Here is a link with tabs comparing 3 UMPI course plans options 1) BA PSHY, 2) BLS MINOR MNGNT 3) BLS MINOR PSYCH

I am wanting to shift careers and contemplating education or user research aka UX/UI-within technology development, I've seen the ask for those majors or relevancy in psychology. In the future I want to pursue a masters degree. (like what bjcheung77 suggested HAU MBA)

Pink highlights are courses that are outside of UMPI, 13 to 15 sophia courses to tackle in my near future-from now summer, thinking of starting UMPI September

Pls review and let me know your thoughts, are my plans too ambitious…

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing
[-] The following 1 user Likes manyoptions4me's post:
  • RosJaq
(04-06-2024, 02:49 PM)manyoptions4me Wrote: @bjcheung77 @RosJaq & everyone

My AAS credits did not transfer in.

I have been running fast with sophia since December and have had a few hurdles so continuing to work on my GEC's. Since I have started from the beginning I am reconsidering my BLS and considering to pursue the UMPI BA Psych rather than BLS with a minor in Psych, ideally to in the future pursue an MS.

Oh, I'm so sorry to hear that. Glad that you are continuing with your Sophia courses towards completing your GEC's.  I hope the BA Psych path works out better for you.
(04-09-2024, 02:28 PM)manyoptions4me Wrote: I still have ways to go. Here is a link with tabs comparing 3 UMPI course plans options 1) BA PSHY, 2) BLS MINOR MNGNT 3) BLS MINOR PSYCH

I am wanting to shift careers and contemplating education or user research within technology development, I feel like having a psychology major or minor would be beneficial. In the future I want to pursue a masters degree.

Pink highlights are courses that are outside of UMPI, 13 to 15 sophia courses to tackle in my near future-from now summer, thinking of starting UMPI September

I say this as someone who has a strong enough interest in psychology that I started my TESU journey with the intention of majoring in it, and probably have enough classes in it for a minor; it is unfortunately a poor choice for a degree. It comes up on almost every "Most Useless Degrees" list with good reason. If you have a strong interest in it, then by all means go for it. But from a pragmatic standpoint, it's best to major in something else.
(04-09-2024, 04:25 PM)RJ77 Wrote:
(04-09-2024, 02:28 PM)manyoptions4me Wrote: I still have ways to go. Here is a link with tabs comparing 3 UMPI course plans options 1) BA PSHY, 2) BLS MINOR MNGNT 3) BLS MINOR PSYCH

I am wanting to shift careers and contemplating education or user research within technology development, I feel like having a psychology major or minor would be beneficial. In the future I want to pursue a masters degree.

I say this as someone who has a strong enough interest in psychology that I started my TESU journey with the intention of majoring in it, and probably have enough classes in it for a minor; it is unfortunately a poor choice for a degree. It comes up on almost every "Most Useless Degrees" list with good reason. If you have a strong interest in it, then by all means go for it. But from a pragmatic standpoint, it's best to major in something else.

The knowledge of psychology is great for a lot of careers that you work with people such as:
  • Counseling and Therapy
  • Health care
  • Marketing
  • Human Resources
  • Education
  • Training and Development
And it's also huge in the personal development space.

The problem with a psych major that most people reference is that employers rarely seek solely a psych major when listing their job openings. To earn a premium salary, you typically need some form of licensing, which often necessitates graduate school.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management

I am wanting to shift careers and contemplating education or user research aka UX/UI-within technology development, I've seen the ask for those majors or relevancy in psychology. In the future I want to pursue a masters degree. (like what bjcheung77 suggested HAU MBA)

Not too ambitious at all. You seem to have this well organized. For the goals you've identified, I'd pursue the BA in Psychology over a BLS. You could add a Management minor to the BA.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is a philosophy minor possible at UMPI? LevelUP 8 122 Yesterday, 11:34 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia Scores and Transferring to UMPI colonelcamp 7 272 04-25-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Inquiry Regarding Equivalent Classes for Remaining UMPI Requirements hicham78h 5 273 04-24-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Math GECs Sophia/UMPI colonelcamp 3 193 04-24-2024, 10:07 AM
  Should I contact UMPI now or wait until I finish my GEC with Sophia then contact them JusW 3 178 04-22-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: JusW
  UMPI YourPace BLS w/ Management Minor Reference Plan valentvne 6 329 04-21-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  minimum age for UMPI students YourPace EducationSeeker 6 306 04-20-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 31 6,628 04-19-2024, 03:01 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  UMPI BLS MISM VS Pierport then UMPI BAS k681 11 503 04-16-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Are TEEX courses eligible for credits at UMPI? soulking 7 360 04-16-2024, 12:44 AM