Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New considering UMPI but….
I will definitely keep you posted!

Regarding GEC language portion, seems I qualify since I do know another language, so I can take the ACTFL/LTI exam and transfer into UMPI.

It was recommended to take test from https://www.languagetesting.com/. They have 5 different tests, which test is it recommended to take?
The LPT and RPT exams are the cheapest ones. But it depends on what language you know. Some languages are only available as OPI/OPIc exams. UMPI doesn't care which one you take.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
Ok updates. I was accepted but waiting on credit transfer evaluation review, can’t start my BSL UNTIL JAN 2024. So now I have to start crunching with Sophia GEC Courses

@rachel83az. I am wanting to get the Spanish assessment

https://www.languagetesting.com/ Customer Services told me that they couldn’t tell me which test to take, it’s up to me but I have no clue
Take whichever one you want. Are you best at reading? Do the RPT. Are you great at understanding spoken Spanish? LPT. UMPI doesn't care. It simply has to be 3 credits minimum.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • origamishuttle
Depends on how fluent and how you like to do things, some like a combination of thing, some are better at one item over the other, decide which one is more bang for the buck... check the costs and possible credits you get for each of the exams... listening, reading, speaking, writing and then decide, heck, just review the matrix they have and costs and see which one is more ROI/Value for the money you're putting into it. That's all it is!
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Hi there updates here
1) waiting on hearing back from UMPI regarding transfer
2) working on my plans for sophia courses (just got monitors)
so I references the "GEC to Sophia.org table" https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...quivalents
3) see my source GEC plan here: UMPI Bachelor of Liberal Studies – Management Minor program

I. GEC – 40 credits (referenced GEC ROADMAP https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...ts_Roadmap)
1A-rachel83az-advised to take it wth Sophia not UMPI but ss20ts says to take it at UMPI because they are shorter to take than with sophia, just making sure to to stick with UMPI.
1B-rachel83az-advised to take it wth Sophia not UMPI but ss20ts says to take it at UMPI, same reason as 1A, shorter as UMPI, so take at UMPI?
1C. Sophia-Workplace Communication (BUS 210)or InstantCert – American Government?, due to timing I am thinking of Study.com Communications 120: Presentation Skills in the Workplace
(any preferences?)
1D. Take at UMPI
2A. Sophia – Introduction to Ethics
2B. Sophia – Introduction to Ethics
2C. Take at UMPI
2D. Take at UMPI
2E. Sophia – Art History 1
3A. Sophia – Into to Stats (for 3A & 3B, I saw a note that BA Business Administration majors, you would take Business Math instead of other math options, does it count for BLS w. a management minor?)
3B. Sophia – Business Math
3C. Study.com Biology101L Biology with Lab or Sophia – Human Biology (any preference? )
3D. Sophia – Environmental Science or Study.com – Chemistry 111L Chemistry I with Lab (any preference?)
3E. Study.com Biology101L Biology with Lab or Chemistry 111L Chemistry I with Lab
4A. YourPace Orientation
4B. Take at UMPI
4C. Sophia – Introduction to Ethics
5A. Sophia – Approaches to Studying Religions or Introduction to Sociology
5B. Sophia – US History 1
5C. I am fluent in Spanish, is it suggested to do the "InstantCert – Spanish 1" ? Spanish with Sophia? or take the testing with ACTFL--Note I contacted LTI (Language Testing International) to help me pick which test to take and they said that they couldn't instruct me or give me advice, does anyone know? (otherwise I can ask UMPI what they suggest?)
5D. Sophia – Ancient Greek Philosophers
5E. InstantCert – American Government

question, do I have to take these GEC in a specific order? any tips on time, I am not concerned about the cost, I am but evaluating my time as a priority.

@ bjcheung77
OLD comment from 2016,
"Generally, a BABA with concentration would be better to complete than the BLS with a minor. I usually only recommend the BLS with the minor because of max transfer of credits, as 60+ can be electives, this is only for those that want a quick 'check the box' degree and don't really want a major or want to salvage their current credits."

Why is a BABA with concentration, better to complete? is it easier? faster? just curious.
You need to review the WIKI links and recommended classes, InstantCert Credit is no longer available, you should not be copy/pasting from something that far back... BABA is a Business Admin degree, BLS is a Liberal Studies degree with no concentration or 'real' major, it's just a check the box degree. It's fine either way you take, the BABA actually has more requirements, thus should take longer. BLS is the easiest/fastest and most flexible...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
There seems to be some communication issue. I meant that you should take English Comp at UMPI, not Sophia.

Also, it's been mentioned more than once that UMPI does not care which ACTFL exam you take. As long as you get 3 credits, you're good. If you want to speak to someone, take the OPI. If your strengths are reading or listening, take the LPI or RPI. It literally does not matter. With Spanish, you can take any or all of them and UMPI will be happy.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
@rachel83az thanks for your help in clarifying! I will possibly take the OPI

@bjcheung77 regarding the BABA, I see that it has more requirements and it takes longer. I know this is not an easy question to answer but what have most been experiencing when it comes to the total time it's taken them to complete a BABA? I read someone said it took them 7m
(11-29-2023, 12:21 PM)manyoptions4me Wrote: @rachel83az thanks for your help in clarifying! I will possibly take the OPI

@bjcheung77 regarding the BABA, I see that it has more requirements and it takes longer. I know this is not an easy question to answer but what have most been experiencing when it comes to the total time it's taken them to complete a BABA? I read someone said it took them 7m

The BABA does not have more requirements than any other degree at UMPI. All bachelor's degrees at UMPI require 120 credits. Many people have completed the BABA from UMPI. I have both the BLS and the BABA. They took me the same amount of time.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is a philosophy minor possible at UMPI? LevelUP 8 125 Yesterday, 11:34 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia Scores and Transferring to UMPI colonelcamp 7 277 04-25-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Inquiry Regarding Equivalent Classes for Remaining UMPI Requirements hicham78h 5 273 04-24-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Math GECs Sophia/UMPI colonelcamp 3 195 04-24-2024, 10:07 AM
  Should I contact UMPI now or wait until I finish my GEC with Sophia then contact them JusW 3 179 04-22-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: JusW
  UMPI YourPace BLS w/ Management Minor Reference Plan valentvne 6 330 04-21-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  minimum age for UMPI students YourPace EducationSeeker 6 307 04-20-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 31 6,638 04-19-2024, 03:01 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  UMPI BLS MISM VS Pierport then UMPI BAS k681 11 503 04-16-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Are TEEX courses eligible for credits at UMPI? soulking 7 360 04-16-2024, 12:44 AM