Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New considering UMPI but….
Just a general question and obvservations from an outsider....I was chatting about my course plan and I was asked why cant I just start my UMPI courses now in Jan 2024, not deferring my start and once I am done with the UMPI courses to then work on the sophia courses and then transfer those sophia credits in later? I guess doing it backwards...just curious

Also to clarify my understanding for the BLS the electives part of 41 units, I saw that it's recommended to take 1credit courses, from sophia, could I take the 3 credit courses instead? why only focus on the 1 credit course, is it because they are shorter materials to go through?
UMPI will want you to complete the courses you're missing. Typically you start with the missing LL and move onto the ULs. UMPI could also change their policy and no longer accept transfer credit once you're enrolled which is pretty common. Many colleges do not allow you to graduate if you're no longer a student so taking your Sophia courses after your UMPI courses could be another problem.

The BLS has 40 GEC (general education) credits, 18 minor credits, and 62 general electives credits. The 62 credits require 24 of them to be UL. At one point, the majority of the UL credits had to be completed at UMPI. Additionally, a minimum of 9 credits in the minor must be completed at UMPI.

No one recommends taking 1 credit courses from anywhere.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • ashkir, midnite123
Exactly what ss20ts mentioned, in addition to that, you want to go in orderly fashion to streamline the process by completing the Sophia.org classes first, the max transfer... if you go back to it later, you'll be side tracked, you want to have your max transfer in place, even if it means delaying your start for another session... There are several people who missed the graduation because they didn't max their credits and are making up for those credits they thought would transfer. Create a spreadsheet for reference and tracking purposes... You'll know what you need at UMPI and alternative credit providers...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • midnite123
(01-13-2024, 07:15 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Exactly what ss20ts mentioned, in addition to that, you want to go in orderly fashion to streamline the process by completing the Sophia.org classes first, the max transfer... if you go back to it later, you'll be side tracked, you want to have your max transfer in place, even if it means delaying your start for another session... There are several people who missed the graduation because they didn't max their credits and are making up for those credits they thought would transfer.  Create a spreadsheet for reference and tracking purposes... You'll know what you need at UMPI and alternative credit providers...

I am currently taking Sophia courses.
I am going to transfer them to Pierpont.

Can I just enroll at Pierpont now, 
with my 42 RA credits,
and then just transfer my Sophia credits over on  a monthly basis?

Am I missing something?

Thank You!
@midnite123 - Yes, apply, send all transcripts, finish all the Sophia.org classes you want, send in a second transcript. That's it, here's a thread with three particular posts that explain it further, again, apply, send transcripts, finish Sophia.org, send in final transcript...

Reference post#6: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid394517
post #15: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid408695
post #19: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid408709

• midnite123
(01-14-2024, 03:24 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: @midnite123 - Yes, apply, send all transcripts, finish all the Sophia.org classes you want, send in a second transcript.  That's it, here's a thread with three particular posts that explain it further, again, apply, send transcripts, finish Sophia.org, send in final transcript...

Reference post#6: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid394517
post #15: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid408695
post #19: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid408709

@bjcheung77 @[b]ss20ts [/b]
Updates so my AAS degree credits did not transfer into UMPI, so I had to come to terms and start from the beginning. 

I am working through GEC sophia now since Dec.  I also had to defer my start date with UMPI due to personal reasons and many life conflicts.  I am on the home stretch of GEC and all then shift to electives. 

I am on a crossroads of pursuing either the BLS minor in psych or BA psych. I know the BLS will be a faster route, not sure if anyone can advise but what is the tie difference? like possibly having to do more terms for the BA Psych? (4-6m more)?  any tips, advise are greatly appreciate it!

see my plans on this link, also the tabs within the file BLS MINOR IN PSYCH OR BA PSYCH
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing
Before you do anything, email the person back and also your academic advisor asking for any 'work experience' credit, indicate you're going for the BLS and can have about 60 credits you're going to use the AAS for. If they don't allow you, then do the Sophia.org classes towards the BLS with the minors of your choice. You just need a couple or triple months to get the full 90 credits for max transfer.

(10-14-2023, 02:20 PM)manyoptions4me Wrote:
(10-14-2023, 08:30 AM)Jonathan Whatley Wrote: Wood Tobe-Coburn credit would be considered nationally accredited (NA) at best, not regionally accredited (RA). Its accreditor was New York State, which used to be a nationally recognized accreditor by the U.S. Department of Education.

Hi Jonathan & Bjcheung77, regarding my credits, Sad yes that’s was I was thinking, so essentially I don’t think my AOS Will Transfer anywhere and I have to start from scratch…so I have to work on Sophia and study courses to advance and then look into TESU or UMPI.

Also I don’t see UMPI BLS W/ a psych minor? I am assuming I can add the minor as I submit my application. I am wondering if you were advising to take the “Online Bachelor of Liberal Studies - Management Minor” plus add psych as a minor? (Sorry trying to make sure I am clear) or just in general take the BLS and the 2 minor elections I make..Humm good idea!

I am liking your option ideas with TESU, BALS-Psych concentration option... then ladder up to the WGU MSML for Organizational Leadership (Management & Leadership) in the future.

I was actually preferring to go with UMPI, nothing in particular just thought the name of the institution sounds better to me it not sure how I feel in getting the psychology part as a minor but I will think about it.

Hi there!

Very long time lurker here, but I wanted to assure you that your AOS will not be disregarded by UMPI. I also graduated with an AOS (business management) from a school in NYC that was closed by the Department of Education. I requested a transcript from them that UMPI scrutinized and accepted.  As a result, I am halfway done with my BABA-Accounting.
[-] The following 1 user Likes RosJaq's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
@RosJaq, thanks for the info. That hopefully helps the OP in regards to getting 'some' credits into their evaluation.

@OP, I would highly advise making an appeal and giving it one more go to get some credits with official transcripts.

• RosJaq
@bjcheung77 @RosJaq & everyone

My AAS credits did not transfer in.

I have been running fast with sophia since December and have had a few hurdles so continuing to work on my GEC's. Since I have started from the beginning I am reconsidering my BLS and considering to pursue the UMPI BA Psych rather than BLS with a minor in Psych, ideally to in the future pursue an MS.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Is a philosophy minor possible at UMPI? LevelUP 8 146 04-26-2024, 11:34 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Sophia Scores and Transferring to UMPI colonelcamp 7 293 04-25-2024, 10:27 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Inquiry Regarding Equivalent Classes for Remaining UMPI Requirements hicham78h 5 278 04-24-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Math GECs Sophia/UMPI colonelcamp 3 202 04-24-2024, 10:07 AM
  Should I contact UMPI now or wait until I finish my GEC with Sophia then contact them JusW 3 185 04-22-2024, 11:26 PM
Last Post: JusW
  UMPI YourPace BLS w/ Management Minor Reference Plan valentvne 6 343 04-21-2024, 10:23 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  minimum age for UMPI students YourPace EducationSeeker 6 312 04-20-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 31 6,661 04-19-2024, 03:01 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  UMPI BLS MISM VS Pierport then UMPI BAS k681 11 505 04-16-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Are TEEX courses eligible for credits at UMPI? soulking 7 361 04-16-2024, 12:44 AM