Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Degree Planning Advice For Research (Upper Level) Credit
Greetings Everyone,

I have been on this forum for awhile now, and I am seeking some advice. I have placed my current information down below for your review. 

***BREAK****

Your Age: 33
What kind of degree do you want?: Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management

Sophia Credits: 56
Ancient Greek Philosophers
Art History I
Art History II
College Algebra
Conflict Resolution 
Developing Effective Teams
Environmental Science
Essentials of Managing Conflict
Financial Accounting 
Introduction to Business
Introduction to Chemistry
Introduction to Ethics
Introduction to Information Technology
Introduction to Statistics
Introduction to Web Development
Principles of Finance
Principles of Management
Project Management
U.S. History I
Visual Communications

Excelsior University Credits: 55
2012/FA ENG*101 ENGLISH COMPOSITION
2017/FA INL*102 INFORMATION LITERACY
2017/FA HIS*325 AFRICAN AMERICAN HISTORY
2018/SP HUM*300 ETHICS
2018/SP HIS*354 TRANSATLANTIC SLAVE TRADE 
2018/SP COMM*210 INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATION
2018/SP BIO*105 ANATOMY AND PHYSIOLOGY I (NON LAB)
2019/SP BUS*210 WRITING IN THE WORKPLACE 
2019/SU HSC*112 MEDICAL TERMINOLOGY
2019/SU MAT*101 MATHEMATICS FOR EVERYDAY LIFE
2021/SP IND*301 CORNERSTONE B: PATHWAYS
2021/SP ECO*260 INTRODUCTION TO MICROECONOMICS
2021/SP ECO*262 INTRODUCTION TO MACROECONOMICS
2023/SP BUS*311 ORGANIZATIONAL BEHAVIOR
2023/SP BUS*312 MANAGING HUMAN RESOURCES
2023/FA HSC*310 WRITING AND COMMUNICATION IN THE HEALTH SCIENCE PROFESSIONS
2023/FA HSC*301 FOUNDATIONS OF HEALTH CARE MANAGEMENT
2023/FA HSC*414 BUDGET AND FINANCE IN HEALTHCARE ORGANIZATIONS
2023/FA HSC*305 CRITICAL ISSUES IN HEALTHCARE MANAGEMENT

Military Credits Accepted: 21

Credits Left For Completion of Degree Program:
Statistics - Need 3.0
Arts and Science Electives - Need 21.0
Accounting - Need 3.0 
Principles of Management - Need 3.0 
Research (upper level) - Need 3.0 
Marketing - Need 3.0

HSC 450: Economics of Health Care (UL) - Need 3.0
HSC 470: Health Care Management Capstone - Need 3.0

Budget: Need something cheap
Commitments: I currently work full-time.
Dedicated time to study: A few hours in the morning and a few after work. I can also utilize my weekends to study.

Timeline: Trying to finish in the next six months.
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: Tuition Assistance and Financial Aid

I am currently enrolled in a bachelor's program at Excelsior University. Previously, I completed an AS in Liberal Arts at Excelsior in 2019. I am active-duty military and plan to apply for an Officer commissioning program upon completing my Bachelor's Degree.

Specifically, I request guidance on where to complete Research (upper level). The class is not offered at Excelsior. I enrolled in Psychology of Motivation at Study.com in the hopes that it would complete that credit. Has anyone had success with this?

Please note that I reached out to Excelsior, but they were extremely vague and advised me to request a transcript review after completing the course to determine if it would fulfill the credit requirement. So, they never gave me a clear yes or no. 

For all other credits, I plan to complete the core courses at Excelsior and transfer my completed Sophia credits to knock off the rest of the credit requirements. I am enrolled in Marketing 308 at Study.com to complete the Marketing credit requirement. Thank you in advance for your time and assistance.
Degrees: Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Excelsior University (In Progress)
                Associate of Science in Liberal Arts - Excelsior University (2017-2019)

Credits: 72 Credits - Sophia Learning
               Psychology 315 and Marketing 308 - Study.Com (In Progress)

Certifications: Lean Six Sigma - Black Belt, Scrum Master, Executive Coach, Certified Ethics    Associate, Executive Management Certified
@Dnightowl, Welcome to the board! I'm just a little confused, have you verified with advising what the class name is that they need for the degree? Have you also consulted anyone else from Excelsior in regards to the remaining class "Research"? From a quick search on their catalog, that class doesn't even show up on the degree plan for BS Healthcare Management on page 96, they have Research Methods though, which shows as a PSY 305 class, thus, the class should be offered at Excelsior, unless you want to transfer it in from another source... Link: http://publications.excelsior.edu/progra...s_Catalog/
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
I do not know of any course called Research at Excelsior but I can give guidance on how to find what they want. As a current Excelsior student, I will walk you through how I locate what I need for each category. Once you try the first time, it makes it really easy to locate after that, but unfortunately it does not help with finding outside sources that could transfer.

Click MAPlanner on left index, then click Access MAPlaner button in middle of screen.
Click Create Plan by Requirement button
Click Start Button next to Research

This should bring up a list of Excelsior courses that will qualify for the "Research" requirement. My guess is that the research requirement just means that one of your courses has to be research based. An example for me is Organizational Behavior is a requirement, but once I add the course to my Plan, it slots into my Arts & Sciences section, but also check marks the Organizational Behavior requirement.
In Progress: 
Excelsior - BPS Business and Management
Study.com - Business 307, Sociology 305, Psychology 315
ASU - Algebra, PreCalc, Calculus
Luna - Bio2 Lab

Completed: 
Universidad Isabel I - MBA/Master Bus & Corp Comm
Kirkwood - AAS Business Administration, Certificate of Human Resources 3.8 GPA
Excelsior - AAS Applied Technologies Electronics 4.0 GPA
TADA - Google Project Management, Google Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
CSM Learn
US Navy (Electronics Tech 3rd Class) - NER-ET-004, NV-2202-0165 V02, NV-1715-1788 V01, NV-1715-1796 V01, NV-1715-1585 V01, NV-1715-1336 V02

TECEP: 9 Credits
Man-3730, OPM-3010, Bus-3110

Study.com: 6 Credits
Philosophy 301

Lawshelf: 15 Credits
BUS-201, BUS-301, BUS-302, GOV-202, EMP-301

CLEP: 48 Credits
College Math, Financial Accounting, Principles of Micro & Macroeconomics, Intro Sociology, Intro Psychology, Analyze and Interpreting Literature, Intro Business Law, Principles of Marketing, Biology, US History 1 & 2, Humanities

DSST: 9 Credits
Principles of Public Speaking, Ethics in America, Principles of Supervision
[-] The following 1 user Likes GameSlinger's post:
  • Dnightowl
(01-28-2024, 01:20 PM)Dnightowl Wrote: Greetings Everyone,

I have been on this forum for awhile now, and I am seeking some advice. I have placed my current information down below for your review. 

***BREAK****

My advice is to get a BS in Liberal Arts from EU then pursue a Masters in Healthcare Admin at another graduate school. The BS should check the box for OCS.
Good Luck
[-] The following 1 user Likes Airamb's post:
  • Dnightowl
Actually, that's a very good idea for the Excelsior BSLA, you have the Info Lit and Cornerstone already completed, you just need the capstone and transfer in the rest through ACE/NCCRS credits available for cheap, easy, fast. I would get them to change the program and get an evaluation completed for you, then post what you have remaining for the BSLA. You can find a WGU Masters in Healthcare Administration or MBA Healthcare Management for about $5K each if you finish them in a term, if you are not in the US, you can complete the Walden MHA for about $6K in a term as well...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • Airamb, Dnightowl
(01-29-2024, 03:24 AM)GameSlinger Wrote: I do not know of any course called Research at Excelsior but I can give guidance on how to find what they want. As a current Excelsior student, I will walk you through how I locate what I need for each category. Once you try the first time, it makes it really easy to locate after that, but unfortunately it does not help with finding outside sources that could transfer.

Click MAPlanner on left index, then click Access MAPlaner button in middle of screen.
Click Create Plan by Requirement button
Click Start Button next to Research

This should bring up a list of Excelsior courses that will qualify for the "Research" requirement. My guess is that the research requirement just means that one of your courses has to be research based. An example for me is Organizational Behavior is a requirement, but once I add the course to my Plan, it slots into my Arts & Sciences section, but also check marks the Organizational Behavior requirement.

Thank you so much!  Wink

(01-30-2024, 05:16 PM)Airamb Wrote:
(01-28-2024, 01:20 PM)Dnightowl Wrote: Greetings Everyone,

***BREAK****

My advice is to get a BS in Liberal Arts from EU then pursue a Masters in Healthcare Admin at another graduate school. The BS should check the box for OCS.
Good Luck

Copy. This is a solid plan. Thank you so much!

(01-30-2024, 10:46 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Actually, that's a very good idea for the Excelsior BSLA, you have the Info Lit and Cornerstone already completed, you just need the capstone and transfer in the rest through ACE/NCCRS credits available for cheap, easy, fast.  I would get them to change the program and get an evaluation completed for you, then post what you have remaining for the BSLA.  You can find a WGU Masters in Healthcare Administration or MBA Healthcare Management for about $5K each if you finish them in a term, if you are not in the US, you can complete the Walden MHA for about $6K in a term as well...

Copy. All three of you have helped me immensely. Thank you so much! I appreciate y'all!
Degrees: Bachelor of Science in Healthcare Management - Excelsior University (In Progress)
                Associate of Science in Liberal Arts - Excelsior University (2017-2019)

Credits: 72 Credits - Sophia Learning
               Psychology 315 and Marketing 308 - Study.Com (In Progress)

Certifications: Lean Six Sigma - Black Belt, Scrum Master, Executive Coach, Certified Ethics    Associate, Executive Management Certified

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Excelsior BSLA - Upper Level Credits Robinred2404 7 576 03-18-2024, 09:08 PM
Last Post: Robinred2404
  List of Sophia Classes that count as UL Credit Niketay 2 1,097 07-07-2023, 11:05 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Excelsior University BS in Liberal Arts Upper Credit Transfer Options Niketay 13 2,457 07-05-2023, 10:22 AM
  Need to know what UL credits will work for Liberal Arts degree AnyName 20 3,340 06-25-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: Kab
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,201 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  upper level business credits at EC MCJ 10 3,135 03-22-2023, 07:52 AM
Last Post: MCJ
  Upcoming Change to Transfer Credit Process frankc 6 2,000 03-09-2023, 07:54 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior BS Criminal Justice degree plan new2this 4 870 03-01-2023, 01:32 PM
  Excelsior University UL SDC credit not counted frank11 10 2,360 12-19-2022, 09:05 AM
Last Post: TheVilified
  EU Degree Cost? NBM123 14 2,288 11-28-2022, 10:08 PM
Last Post: dfrecore