Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
EU Degree Cost?
I agree; there is generally no point to getting a second EU degree. And having 2 degrees is something that Excelsior actively discourages!

If your kid(s) really want a second degree for personal reasons, they should consider getting a Business degree from Excelsior and then getting a second degree from UMPI or somewhere similarly cheap and amenable to a second degree once they're old enough for that. Even TESU would probably make for an easier 2nd degree than Excelsior!

I don't agree that 2nd degrees are always pointless, but I do agree that trying to get 2 of them from Excelsior is pointless.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
At Excelsior, you can always go for an Associates degree in something, and then a Bachelors. You're going to be taking "residency" credits, see if it's an option to complete them both together. If you require 12-15 residency credits before the military rate comes in, then you know you need to take an extra course, that could be the Associates capstone. For example, AS Business Studies & BSLA, another example is, AS Tech Studies and BSBA, so you have "different majors".
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Do the kids really want a college degree and high school degree before age 18?

As cheap and quick as college degrees are, missing out on being a kid/teen and high school are not something I wish I had done. Their peers will go to college at 18, likely live in dorms, while they miss out on so many experiences.

I wish I hadn't graduated high school early and had chosen the social experience with my peers. Socializing, friendships, and kid/teen milestones are more the point of high school than academics. Kids get to be a kid once. Rushing that by graduating high school at 16 to work isn't as much of a dream scenario as it sounds. I graduated high school early, and it means missing out on the social experience to say the least. The kids could go to grad school early- but they won't be physically developed or socially developed like their peers. Being constantly out of place and younger than everyone in life stage really sucks. I got a job very young after graduating high school early and regret it. I had the option of homeschool/online school but opted to go back to an actual school with kids my own age. I regret graduating early and missing out on those teen milestones and progressing through life with my peers.
[-] The following 1 user Likes profstudent's post:
  • jsd
(11-28-2022, 12:58 PM)profstudent Wrote: Do the kids really want a college degree and high school degree before age 18?

As cheap and quick as college degrees are, missing out on being a kid/teen and high school are not something I wish I had done. Their peers will go to college at 18, likely live in dorms, while they miss out on so many experiences.

I wish I hadn't graduated high school early and had chosen the social experience with my peers. Socializing, friendships, and kid/teen milestones are more the point of high school than academics. Kids get to be a kid once. Rushing that by graduating high school at 16 to work isn't as much of a dream scenario as it sounds. I graduated high school early, and it means missing out on the social experience to say the least. The kids could go to grad school early- but they won't be physically developed or socially developed like their peers. Being constantly out of place and younger than everyone in life stage really sucks. I got a job very young after graduating high school early and regret it. I had the option of homeschool/online school but opted to go back to an actual school with kids my own age. I regret graduating early and missing out on those teen milestones and progressing through life with my peers.

I feel the opposite, high school was a complete waste of time. Glad I skipped the dorm life after it too.  Big Grin
[-] The following 1 user Likes FastTrackDegree's post:
  • SCYankee
(11-28-2022, 12:58 PM)profstudent Wrote: Do the kids really want a college degree and high school degree before age 18?

I absolutely LOATHED college; the dorms were a nightmare.  I moved out as soon as humanly possible and got an apartment alone, thank heavens.  I ended up hating school, but loving work; I started working FT at 18, and was happily ahead of all of my peers who chose the college route.  When I was about 22/23, 4 years into my career, my friends were graduating and getting crappy entry-level jobs making less than me.

I was THRILLED to skip college and get on with real life!  Best thing I ever did.  I eventually went on to get my degree, 30 years later, but wouldn't have changed a thing (ok, I actually would have dropped out sooner).

College isn't for everyone.  Dorms aren't for everyone.  School is not the only place to socialize - there are lots of ways to meet people other than in college.  I have zero friends from the 18 months I was at college, but lots of friends from my first "real" job - a couple of them came to visit a few months ago, and we've been friends for 30+ years.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree Planning Advice For Research (Upper Level) Credit Dnightowl 4 510 01-30-2024, 10:46 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Need to know what UL credits will work for Liberal Arts degree AnyName 20 3,170 06-25-2023, 11:56 PM
Last Post: Kab
  OTmina - Excelsior Degree Plan OTmina 28 4,076 05-16-2023, 04:20 PM
Last Post: OTmina
  Excelsior BS Criminal Justice degree plan new2this 4 814 03-01-2023, 01:32 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Excelsior business degree plan desireelws50 7 1,395 11-15-2022, 06:13 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  EU Business Degree Courses NBM123 5 1,126 09-16-2022, 08:49 AM
Last Post: new2this
  Excelsior degree plans on the wiki rachel83az 9 2,213 05-24-2022, 06:46 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  Excelsior degree info needed debrag 51 7,254 02-13-2022, 08:25 AM
Last Post: debrag
  Second Degree Policy harrypotter 29 4,646 01-20-2022, 05:03 PM
Last Post: Kab
  Excelsior BS Liberal Arts degree question staxchips1 8 3,310 12-16-2020, 09:18 PM
Last Post: BSBRose21