Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
DeSantis signs bill limiting tenure at Florida public universities
Interesting.
https://www.tampabay.com/news/education/...utType=amp
Teachers should be able to sign contracts just like NBA players do for 1-5 years.

If they do a good job, they get a longer contract.

They are teaching at the highest levels for the highest amount of pay. They should be held accountable.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
if we could just get this for the US congress that would be awesome
[-] The following 1 user Likes bluebooger's post:
  • LevelUP
(04-20-2022, 10:32 AM)bluebooger Wrote: if we could just get this for the US congress that would be awesome

Amen !!

(04-20-2022, 10:29 AM)LevelUP Wrote: Teachers should be able to sign contracts just like NBA players do for 1-5 years.

If they do a good job, they get a longer contract.

They are teaching at the highest levels for the highest amount of pay. They should be held accountable.
I agree !!
Limiting tenure is a good idea, in terms of length of time for the tenure... say 5 years minimum and 10 years max or something along those lines, a longer contract in other words. Some professors would like to stay X years until they retire, there really isn't a need to "force" them out of the job unless they're getting complaints. You have bad apples, get rid of them, the good ones should get to stay...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-20-2022, 11:21 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Limiting tenure is a good idea, in terms of length of time for the tenure... say 5 years minimum and 10 years max or something along those lines, a longer contract in other words.  Some professors would like to stay X years until they retire, there really isn't a need to "force" them out of the job unless they're getting complaints.  You have bad apples, get rid of them, the good ones should get to stay...
Absolutely!
The problem is that this bill has nothing to do with ensuring Florida has good or effective teachers in the classroom. The goal is to ensure that Florida has teachers who present a specific, triumphalist and celebratory version of history and society.

I used to teach history at the college level while I was working on my PhD. Apparently, I was part of the problem. I did not think it was wrong to teach that many white people became wealthy at the expense of enslaved people. I did not think it was wrong to teach that many of those same families were, are, and will continue to be wealthy for years to come. I did not think it was wrong to teach that white families and the broader white community accumulated wealth, built universities, businesses, hospitals, and other facilities using the unpaid labor of black people, black people who up until quite recently were not able to use those facilities. I did not think it was wrong to teach that the people in generations as recent as that of my parents and grandparents had used their positions in business, government, and education to systemically limit or exclude non-whites from the best paying jobs, the best neighborhoods, the best schools, the best hospitals, and so forth.

I did not think it was wrong, because those are all facts. I did not think it was wrong, because my role as an educator was to help my students develop the ability to read, understand, discuss, and write about the world around them.

It turns out, I was wrong after all, at least in the eyes of the state of Florida. Unbeknownst to me, I was part of a woke mob, trying to indoctrinate my students.

Slavery, evidently, wasn't too bad. Slaves weren't whipped and sometimes beaten to death, they weren't sold with no regard to family bonds, they weren't systematically denied education. The systematic extermination of the native peoples of North America didn't happen. Asian-Americans were not rounded up and interned during World War II. The violence against Muslims and Sikhs after 9/11 didn't happen. To say those things, and to say that white people were responsible for any of that, might make a white child in 2022 feel bad. In the state of Florida, that will now violate their civil rights.

So, its best that I left teaching and its certainly for the best that I didn't end up in Florida. I certainly wouldn't want kids there to have any understanding as to why black kids are more likely than white kids to live in poor urban areas, why their families have less money on average than white families, of why their family members don't live as long as white families. I certainly wouldn't want black kids to think that subpar schools that they attend are the result of anything other than their laziness and stupidity. I certainly wouldn't want a white kid who grows up in a gated community to understand that their parents positions as doctors/lawyers/corporate executives/etc resulted from anything other than the hard work of their parents.

It turns out, I should have been teaching that America was wonderful and perfect, at least if I wanted to have a teaching job.
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
[-] The following 11 users Like freeloader's post:
  • bcdaron, caledonia, carrythenothing, davewill, Flelm, jch, jsd, louise, rachel83az, sacredrain, ss20ts
I can't imagine being an educator in Florida. Sounds like a nightmare job. Politicians need to stay out of school systems. They should give themselves a cap on how long they can hold their positions. Seems like they're afraid of what might happen to their little white world if people are taught the truth about America's ugly history.
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • louise
The problem doesn't come from teaching students about negative aspects of history, it comes from teaching "their" version of history while conveniently leaving out important parts of history.

America had black slaves, fact. Grind this over and over into students' minds while conveniently leaving out that countries in Africa were the ones selling slaves. There were millions of white slaves too, and oh btw, the United States of America was one of the first countries to abolish slavery.

Original Draft of Declaration of Independence That Criticized Slavery
He has waged cruel war against human nature itself, violating its most sacred rights of life and liberty in the persons of a distant people who never offended him, captivating & carrying them into slavery in another hemisphere or to incur miserable death in their transportation thither.  This piratical warfare, the opprobrium of infidel powers, is the warfare of the Christian King of Great Britain.  Determined to keep open a market where Men should be bought & sold, he has prostituted his negative for suppressing every legislative attempt to prohibit or restrain this execrable commerce.  And that this assemblage of horrors might want no fact of distinguished die, he is now exciting those very people to rise in arms among us, and to purchase that liberty of which he has deprived them, by murdering the people on whom he has obtruded them: thus paying off former crimes committed again the Liberties of one people, with crimes which he urges them to commit against the lives of another.

It was already suicide enough for Americans to go against Great Britain, which had the most powerful navy in the world. Keeping slavery kept the union together to fight a war that most likely the United States would have lost if it weren't for France helping us out.

Being proud of American history doesn't mean you have to agree with everything. For example, the 2nd Iraq war was based on lies IMO. And putting the legal U.S. Japanese citizens in concentration camps during WW2 were a horrible thing to do and a blatant violation of constitutional rights.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
[-] The following 1 user Likes LevelUP's post:
  • jsh1138
"I used to teach history at the college level while I was working on my PhD. Apparently, I was part of the problem. I did not think it was wrong to teach that many white people became wealthy at the expense of enslaved people. I did not think it was wrong to teach that many of those same families were, are, and will continue to be wealthy for years to come. I did not think it was wrong to teach that white families and the broader white community accumulated wealth, built universities, businesses, hospitals, and other facilities using the unpaid labor of black people, black people who up until quite recently were not able to use those facilities. I did not think it was wrong to teach that the people in generations as recent as that of my parents and grandparents had used their positions in business, government, and education to systemically limit or exclude non-whites from the best paying jobs, the best neighborhoods, the best schools, the best hospitals, and so forth."

if this was designed to make people feel sorry that you're not a teacher anymore, I doubt it did that
Study.com - 177 CR. TESU - 39 CR. Middle Georgia State University - 15 CR. Sonoran Desert Institute - 42 CR. COSC - 6 CR. Excelsior - 6 CR. CLEP - 6 CR. Sophia - 14 CR. TEEX - 2 CR. Shmoop - 18 CR. NFA - 4 CR. The Institutes - 2 CR. FEMA - 20ish

BA in History/English from TESU. 
BA in Communications from TESU. AS in Firearms Technology from SDI.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  American Public University? nomaduser 36 3,680 04-16-2024, 12:15 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
Exclamation How many colleges and universities have closed since 2016? Ares 0 186 03-25-2024, 11:02 PM
Last Post: Ares
  Blacklisted foreign universities in Nigeria Imbanewbie 1 374 01-13-2024, 03:43 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Masters in Public Admin Mike Williams 11 1,848 06-17-2023, 12:18 PM
Last Post: teejayb
  Finnish Universities (XAMK etc.) (incl. CS/IT courses!) sarahmac 32 7,732 06-16-2023, 02:38 PM
Last Post: wow
  Northwest Florida State College - Low Online Tuition smartdegree 8 1,330 04-17-2023, 02:36 PM
  WGU, SNHU, University of the People - Mega Universities bjcheung77 8 2,196 03-27-2023, 06:01 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Anglia Ruskin, Brunel, Coventry Universities - FutureLearn Offerings bjcheung77 0 523 03-25-2023, 08:59 PM
  When Universities slap their names on for profit coding bootcamps davewill 0 467 03-20-2023, 10:19 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Where did they go? Kids missing from public schools bjcheung77 5 664 02-16-2023, 02:20 PM
Last Post: davewill