Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Public University?
I'm curious why APU hasn't gained much attention on this forum.
It's an online university. They accept ACE credits from Study.com, Sophia, Saylor Academy.
They accept DSST and CLEP credits too.

https://www.apu.apus.edu/transfer-credit...duate/cbe/

and you can transfer up to 90 credits out of 120.
Their credit costs about $330 each. Once you transfer 90 credits from ACE, you can graduate for about $10k.

What's your opinion on APU?
$10K is more than double UMPI, TESU, and WGU.

The name isn't great.

It's a for profit university that's part of a for profit education system. Those rarely have decent reputations.

It's an online only school which many people try to avoid due to bias that exists against online education.
[-] The following 2 users Like ss20ts's post:
  • Darknigh7, midnite123
(10-08-2023, 12:44 PM)nomaduser Wrote: I'm curious why APU hasn't gained much attention on this forum.
It's an online university. They accept ACE credits from Study.com, Sophia, Saylor Academy.

Their credit costs about $330 each. Once you transfer 90 credits from ACE, you can graduate for about $10k.

I just really can’t say enough about TESU. UMPI is a big hit as well I just don’t have any experience with them.

(10-08-2023, 02:11 PM)Pats20 Wrote:
(10-08-2023, 12:44 PM)nomaduser Wrote: I'm curious why APU hasn't gained much attention on this forum.

I just really can’t say enough about TESU. UMPI is a big hit as well I just don’t have any experience with them.
It’s just too bad grad prices at TESU weren’t around $400 a credit.
This forum sometimes has interesting choices for what schools are acceptable and those that aren't.  Many recommended here I raise my eyebrow at.

APU is fine, they get flak for their sort of predatory tactics toward the military and their for-profit status. Their class quality is no different than WGU, SNHU (I have taken classes at both) or UMPI (from what I have seen).

I also think they offer some interesting degrees and certs that other online schools do not offer.

For-profit=bad is a lazy broad brush approach.
[-] The following 2 users Like Duneranger's post:
  • nomaduser, Tomas
Let's make a discussion section for APU
[-] The following 2 users Like nomaduser's post:
  • allvia, NotJoeBiden
One suggestion and you may be doing it. Pull up APU on FB and LinkedIn and get in to some conversations with people who are and have went there. Maybe Reddit as well. Your thread here as well may start a series of conversations. I personally don’t know anything about them but would love to learn on this forum.
(10-09-2023, 07:16 AM)nomaduser Wrote: Let's make a discussion section for APU

This is not how specific and dedicated discussion sections start on this forum.  There have to be ongoing and repeated thread conversations about a school; then there have to be members who go out and enroll and graduate from the school(s). Think of it as the research and results have to be vetted before the level of commitment you're suggesting.  There are many schools talked about here that would be far ahead of their own discussion session before APU - schools like LU, SNHU, Walden, and others that are commonly talked about here (and have forum member graduates resulting). I'll also clarify that I'm not suggesting any of those examples have earned their spot (as of yet). The fact that it does take years of review reflects the high character of knowledge shared and recommended here.

Your post here and asking about APU does start the conversation, and maybe some members will look into pursuing a degree with them. Starting by maxing out alt credit transfers and reducing the costs as much as possible, graduating and reporting back. Personally, I don't see what would put them ahead for any degree option that they offer over another school. And some quick research into the school shows me far more red flag on reasons to avoid them (some that have already been mentioned by others). You're original post asks for opinion - you now have mine.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 2 users Like allvia's post:
  • rachel83az, ss20ts
It's mostly been used here as a source of RA credit when we can't find that credit cheaper elsewhere. Maybe it deserves more of our attention. ACE acceptance can be tricky. A lot of schools "take" ACE, but don't necessarily take all sources, or apply them well towards their degree programs.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 2 users Like davewill's post:
  • origamishuttle, rachel83az
Unfortunately, American Public University will never be recommended on this forum. 

There are just too many problems with them.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
(10-09-2023, 10:33 AM)LevelUP Wrote: Unfortunately, American Public University will never be recommended on this forum. 

There are just too many problems with them.
I don't really understand this approach/stance when people regularly recommend other schools such as Excelsior, Walden, South, LU and other dubious international schools get recs on this forum. All of these are mired in various controversies.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The American Dream Academy (TADA) coming to an end in April 2024 Vle045 41 6,176 04-17-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 355 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,765 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,834 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 776 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,347 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,811 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 418 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 602 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Metropolia University Common Problems Resolved mariobros1985 21 2,679 02-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: therightstuff