Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
American Public University?
(10-13-2023, 12:59 AM)rachel83az Wrote: Pretty sure it's more common for online-only schools to be thought of as "not real" than it is for anyone to get penalized for attending an online program from a B&M school. But even that stigma is disappearing, especially since 2020.

The 'correct' answer to "Are you from New Jersey?"/"Did you live in New Jersey?" would be something like:
No, I simply took a look at all options available to me and I decided that TESU was the school best suited to helping me meet my goals. I chose them for X, Y, and Z reasons after discussing it over with graduates of TESU.

Or change it to New York/Excelsior, etc., depending on where the degree is from.

Though I never felt the need to specifically state that American Military University is a distance learning only institution, I never tried to obscure that fact either. Nor do I ever state that I've never been to South Africa when I refer to my UNISA studies. Regarding location, silly as it is, I am pleased that my American Military University Diploma and first official transcript state "Commonwealth of Virginia," and not "Commonwealth of West Virginia." On many modern application platforms the location of American Military University/American Public University is auto-filled as "Charles Town, West Virginia." Now Charles is a wonderful name for a university town. Big Grin
Chief Petty Officer
United States Navy (Retired)
They offer masters that for profits never offer like history & space studies - at a good price too
BABA, New England College, 2019
[-] The following 2 users Like harrypotter's post:
  • bluebooger, nomaduser
It seems like they offer some interesting options, especially with their credit transfer policy and online format.
It's been twenty-two years since I was awarded my American Military University (AMU) Bachelor of Arts degree. Mine was among the first graduation years to award undergraduate degrees. Procedures may have changed. When I enrolled at AMU all undergraduate students were required to take a course called RQ295-Foundations of Online Learning. In this course, we submitted our transcripts and requested transfer credit. RQ-295 was also a placement assessment for writing. I found it to be a very good process. After RQ-295, we were notified of which credits were accepted. I was able to transfer the maximum amount of credits. At the time it was 90 semester hours. The dozen or so classes I completed at AMU were straightforward - complete an assignment or two - and (sometimes) complete a proctored exam.
I have nothing but good things to say about my AMU experience.
Chief Petty Officer
From where do you take courses to get to 90 credits, currently, I can find them on sophia.com, study.com, straighterline.com, and Clep and that makes it somewhere around 20-30. How do you get to 90 credits? (I am enrolled in CS)
avasilevski Wrote:From where do you take courses to get to 90 credits, currently, I can find them on sophia.com, study.com, straighterline.com, and Clep and that makes it somewhere around 20-30. How do you get to 90 credits? (I am enrolled in CS)

Good questions... It's actually Sophia.org as Sophia.com goes to another site, as you mentioned, a mix/match combo of Sophia.org, Study.com and CLEP/MS will get you to the 90 credits as there are general education and electives that go towards APU degrees, regardless of your CS major or another major. Create a spreadsheet of the requirements, review their transfer guides (if any), map it out with all transferable classes from each. If you need help, fill us in with your overall picture or scenario of your situation by completing the addendum and template here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Area-works
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Smile 
(04-16-2024, 07:33 AM)avasilevski Wrote: From where do you take courses to get to 90 credits, currently, I can find them on sophia.com, study.com, straighterline.com, and Clep and that makes it somewhere around 20-30. How do you get to 90 credits? (I am enrolled in CS)
We each have our own story.
Upon graduation from high school, I attended Saint  Joseph's college, Rensselaer, Indiana, for a year and a half. I quit and joined the Navy for no good reason.  Sadly, Saint Joe's is no longer in operation. I hold myself responsible. Sometimes I wonder - would Saint Joe's still be in operation if I had stayed to graduate.  Big Grin  Many years ago, When I was still a very young Sailor, City University Bellevue, Washington, granted me an Associates degree (General Studies) based on credits earned at Saint Joseph's College and a single CLEP test. I had served many years in the Navy, by the time I enrolled with American Military University. I accumulated far more than the maximum 90 transferrable credits via military training, experience, and various exams, University of Maryland (on base classes), and Saint Joseph's College. It was a fun dilemma choosing which ones to apply toward my degree.
Chief Petty Officer

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The American Dream Academy (TADA) coming to an end in April 2024 Vle045 41 6,183 04-17-2024, 10:11 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 356 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Graham School - University of Chicago Charles Fout 12 1,767 03-22-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Accounting courses from CPACredits.com/Upper Iowa University inor 22 1,836 03-15-2024, 05:30 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Eastern University Self-Paced online Degrees natshar 2 781 03-06-2024, 10:03 PM
Last Post: jumlouh
  University of Idaho acquiring University of Phoenix bjcheung77 10 1,350 03-04-2024, 06:26 PM
Last Post: Duneranger
  University of California System Bans Fully Online Degrees davewill 23 3,814 03-01-2024, 10:57 AM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  LLB University of London Online newdegree 1 421 02-28-2024, 01:46 PM
Last Post: freeloader
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 605 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar
  Metropolia University Common Problems Resolved mariobros1985 21 2,681 02-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: therightstuff