Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Analysis paralysis options
Please be patient with this post Smile So I finished the WGU MS Cybersecurity.  I want to keep going but a new job is coming real soon.  That delays my decision which is good (I'm all over the place-my posts make that obvious enough).  Additional degrees will not boost my pay at this age (mid-50's).  The next degree will cover one or all of: a) Personal knowledge, b) I may want to teach and c) I'd like the title of doctor

Approaches
The Softserve: ENEB or similar.  Cheap.  Good if I can keep disciplined to finish(never started last time - somehow I can still log in after 4 years).

The Unicorn: A very inexpensive accredited foreign degree with a decent school name in the area of: Psychology(maybe [i]I/O, not interested in clinical), MBA, IT (not computer science), or cybersecurity.  A doctorate may be too much/too long while working full time.  De La Salle University and Southville sound decent.  Holy Angel (if they respond) would be a fun name Smile[/i]

The Dabbler: Hunt down valuable/inexpensive courses that meet a) and/or b) (e.g. certificates, single classes).  Southville has this for the MBA 

The Moonbeam: A religious-based degree.  University of Sedona/University of Metaphysics seems to be a leader here.  Sedona sounds better.

My immediate plan to is take a speed reading course.  "Practice" on work documents and books I'm interested in.  I'll finish up Saylor's BUS501 (checked out Thunderbird but not interested).  By then I'll be closer to a decision.  One of the questions that's forming is "Am I preparing for a retirement job or a volunteer thing".  Full time income will be less the priority but some form of medical benefits will be necessary.
-----Thanks for reading------
[-] The following 1 user Likes jb111's post:
  • housecat
What do you really want to learn/study and what is your budget?
-
Joe
Many people are going to be at crossroads when they get to the doctoral level, there aren't as many options as undergrad, but still plenty to select from. My suggestion is to get the UK Level 8 Diploma and transfer to a doctoral degree, depending on the budget and degree subject matter. I mentioned just a few options here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...-7-Diploma
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • housecat, jb111
If you want to get a religious degree, avoid the two you mentioned. If you dig into the fine print you'll see you have to pay them over $100/year to renew your divination and privilege of keeping your doctorate. Look up Northern Way Seminary. I did two religious doctorates there 7 years ago. The price was 3 figures and you write a real dissertation. I can't say that it's had any financial benefit but the experience confirmed that I enjoy serious research. The word count requirement is relatively short, if memory serves it was 5000 words. Treat it seriously and it's just enough to dip your toe into the water to see if an academic doctorate is something you would want to pursue.

Guys like you theoretically being the vast majority (people that pay ENEB and never do the degree) are the reason I was able to get my degrees for such reasonable prices. Big Grin Your access to the courses is supposed to expire after two years, not your login. If they didn't actually take away your access to the courses that would be good to know. You might as well do it if that's the case. With your tuition being a sunk cost the marginal cost of getting the degrees now is zero.

OTOH, seeing as you already have a master's degree, you could skip the MBA entirely and go directly for a DBA. I'm thinking the Excellent DBA program from CUE. I confirmed they will make allowances for Spanish not being your native language; they told me it would be fine to write the dissertation in English and use Google Translate or another machine translation tool to submit it in Spanish. Once you complete the CUE program you can use it to get a DBA from Universidad de San Miguel. You are only required to write 15k words for the dissertation, so it's another opportunity to have a transitional experience to writing a longer dissertation. The total cost comes to about 3k euros after all of the fees are added in. In one of the threads here or the sister forum somebody said that San Miguel gets favorable evaluations. The real cost of the Excellent DBA without San Miguel is ~2300 euros. There are other required fees hidden in the fine print once you contact them on Emagister. https://www.emagister.com/excellent-prog...873804.htm

I have tried several speed reading products over the years and 7 Speed Reading was the only one that actually improved my reading speed. YMMV.
[-] The following 2 users Like Kalas's post:
  • housecat, jb111
Excellent responses all!  I love the step up approach.  Helps me build up and determine whether a DBA/other doctorate is realistic (without blowing thousands only to wash out).  My allocated budget is zero, so squeezing out the minimum it takes to get there (generally the numbers Kalas mentioned).
[-] The following 1 user Likes jb111's post:
  • housecat
That's the for the Mexican ones and the language of instruction is in Spanish, these are considered equivalent I believe. Having said that, you should also look at the country previews I've made for Malaysia, India, Philippines, etc, as there are similar institutions for similar prices as well. You can have a DBA, doctorate for $5-10K and they should also be considered equivalent to US RA doctorates...
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • housecat, jb111

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU - Exploring Degree Options with Tuition Assistance Lightorb333 8 320 04-20-2024, 03:33 PM
Last Post: Lightorb333
  Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options? techmama 17 3,179 03-02-2024, 12:10 PM
Last Post: KMcLean
  Master of Healthcare Administration - options? allvia 4 815 05-10-2023, 08:19 PM
Last Post: CatsDomino
  MSCS options ElephantCart 14 1,902 08-27-2022, 02:12 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  MS Data Science/Data Analytics options? Latesterna 24 3,938 06-08-2022, 02:03 PM
  List My Master's Degree Options TINASAM 11 1,917 06-08-2022, 01:55 PM
  Masters degree options after BSBA at TESU schlocker 7 1,406 05-23-2022, 06:11 AM
Last Post: freeloader
  Affordable Arkansas Degree Options bjcheung77 2 1,523 01-03-2022, 08:17 PM
Last Post: cardiacclep
  <gasp> Masters CBE options at U of Phoenix! bjcheung77 19 3,352 05-03-2021, 11:17 PM
Last Post: dfrecore
  MSCS options? Deteloca 6 1,289 04-07-2021, 02:25 PM