Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Comp Sci (or related) Masters? Options?
If money was not an issue, simply based on convenience, ease and speed what is the best way to get a masters in computer science or related field? Is there a such thing as “degree hacking” a masters at TESU? When I say degree hacking I mean taking “easier” classes from outside/ACE to transfer into the school. Or any other accredited school? I care more about the difficulty level vs price because I have 3 kids under 5 and will likely give up or take forever if the courses are going to be super difficult. What do y’all recommend?
If you haven't already graduated, you can do the Bachelor's to Master's track at TESU. This allows you to take graduate-level courses at TESU for the same price as undergrad. These courses will count toward your undergrad degree and can then be used in a Master's degree at TESU. Even with that, I'm not sure that a TESU Master's would be that fast or easy.

Other than that, most Master's degrees are NOT transfer-friendly. They barely accept transfer credit from other schools at all.

I've moved your post to the graduate section, because that's where you're more likely to get relevant feedback about your specific questions.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I recommend finding a program you will find enjoyable curriculum wise. If you would not enjoy the curriculum offered by a program, you’d have a miserable time throughout the program.

I started my MBA when my twins were 5 months old. I then started my MS when my twins were 3 years old and my daughter was 1 year old. Ultimately, it can be done but it is a big sacrifice and a lot of very late nights/early mornings.

As Rachel has said, most, not all, graduate programs are sticklers when it comes to transfer credit. When it comes to computer science or anything quantitative, I am not sure there is an “easier” option. You’ll have to handle the quantitative rigor of the courses because the topic(s) are inherently difficult.
Master of Science (M.S.) in Quantitative Management: Business Analytics (2023)
Duke University | The Fuqua School of Business

Master of Business Administration (M.B.A.) in Management (2019)
Southeastern Oklahoma State University | The John Massey School of Business

Bachelor of Science (B.S.) in Biology (2015)
East Central University | The College of Health Sciences

Accumulated Credit: Undergraduate - 126 Hours, Graduate - 83 Hours
Depending on where you are, you may want a cheaper, easier, faster option with competency based degrees instead.
I've written about hacking TESU at the Masters level before, your only options are the following:
1) Transfer a max of 12 graduate credits, from ACE/NCCRS or another institution
2) Use the Bachelors to Masters to get grad credit for the price of Bachelors credit
TESU has several options for Masters, link: https://www.tesu.edu/masters
In Progress: Walden MBA | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: Global Management & Entrepreneurship, ASU (Freebie)

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(04-19-2023, 05:38 AM)techmama Wrote: If money was not an issue, simply based on convenience, ease and speed what is the best way to get a masters in computer science or related field?

WGU and PUG will both accept certifications for credit toward master's degrees:
WGU Master Cybersecurity and Information Assurance (degreeforum.net)
Purdue Global Masters in IT -- certification credit (degreeforum.net)

WGU has unlimited attempts at papers, which can help you to go quickly:
WGU MSCSIA SPEED RUN - Cyber Security Master's Degree (FULL REVIEW + ACCELERATION TIPS) - YouTube
Pierpont Community & Technical College 2022
Associate of Applied Science - Board of Governors - Area of Emphasis: Information Systems
Western Governors University 
Bachelor of Science - Cloud Computing
Charter Oak State College
Bachelor of Science - General Studies - Concentration: Information Systems Studies
Thomas Edison State University
Bachelor of Arts - Computer Science
Associate in Science in Natural Sciences and Mathematics - Mathematics
University of Maine at Presque Isle 
Bachelor of Applied Science - Minor: Project Management

(04-19-2023, 11:58 AM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Depending on where you are, you may want a cheaper, easier, faster option with competency based degrees instead.
I've written about hacking TESU at the Masters level before, your only options are the following:
1) Transfer a max of 12 graduate credits, from ACE/NCCRS or another institution
2) Use the Bachelors to Masters to get grad credit for the price of Bachelors credit
TESU has several options for Masters, link: https://www.tesu.edu/masters
I just tried to find your older threads about masters hacking but you have 800 threads Big Grin  anyway I pretty much completed everything but the capstone for the BACS degree. I’m just in a limbo waiting for final grades and evaluation updates. I guess it’s too late to do the hack of transferring 12 undergrad courses as masters? 

Graduate courses taken as an undergraduate student:
  • APS-510: Project Management for Technology

• MSI-502: Telecommunications and Networking

• MSI-505: Principles of Database Design

• MSI-503: Object-Oriented Application Development, or MSI-504: Information Systems Analysis, Modeling and Design

Looks like I’ve only taken project management that would transfer for masters in IT

Expository Writing I
12/01/09
B
ENC-101

WRT201
English Comp II
12/01/10
B
ENC-10

CMST101
Fund Speech Comm Requirement
12/01/12
A
COM-10

Topics Math Lib Arts
12/01/09
D
MAT-10

Intro Int Relations
12/01/09
B
POS-23

MUGN100
Introduction to Music
12/01/12
A
MUS-10

GNHU115
Troy and the Trojan War
12/01/12
B+
HUM-19

EAES107
Earth & the Environment
12/01/12
B
EAS-10

MATH103
The Development of Math
12/01/12
B-
MAT-10

PHR102
Contemporary Moral Issues
12/01/10
B+
PHI-286

LAN115
Arabic I
12/01/10
B
ARA-101

General Psychology
12/01/09
B
PSY-10

PSY102
Abnormal Psychology
12/01/10
A
PSY-23

Sophia 

Calculus 1 
Environmental science
Financial accounting 
Human Biology 
Introduction to Business
Introduction to Ethics
Introduction to Information Technology 
Introduction to Java Programming 
Introduction to Python Programming 
Macroeconomics 
Microeconomics 
Principles of Finance
Project Management 
U.S history 1 
Visual communications

SDC

Math 108 - Discrete mathematics
Political Science 102 - American Government 
Computer science 303- Database Management 
Computer science 306 - computer architecture 
Business 109 - intro to computing 
Business 303 - management information systems 
Computer science 201 - data structure & algorithms 
Computer science 302 - system analysis & design 
Computer science 105 - introduction to operating systems 

EDX

information literacy micro-bachelors

Saylor

Computer science 302 - software engineering
In addition to the PUG/WGU for competency based options recommended by origamishuttle, I also recommend NAU as their 6 month subscription for Masters is just $3100, if it takes you two terms, it'll be $6200.  Generally it's going to be WGU > NAU/PUG for cost, ease, speed. For NAU, they have the MCIT with 4 different emphasis to select from, here's their subscription costs page: https://nau.edu/office-of-scholarships-a...processes/

Having said that, if you have the energy/money/time to work slowly with TESU as you get the Amazon Career Choice or some other tuition assistance or reimbursement even up to the graduate level, then by all means, the TESU option will still work especially if you're going for a double degree (BSBA CIS/BACS) and a MS or two, it doesn't have to be the MSIT as they have a MS with a concentration to select from that includes Info Systems.  But I wouldn't go that route, I favor WGU, PUG/NAU...

[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • origamishuttle
(04-19-2023, 05:38 AM)techmama Wrote: If money was not an issue, simply based on convenience, ease and speed what is the best way to get a masters in computer science or related field? Is there a such thing as “degree hacking” a masters at TESU? When I say degree hacking I mean taking “easier” classes from outside/ACE to transfer into the school. Or any other accredited school? I care more about the difficulty level vs price because I have 3 kids under 5 and will likely give up or take forever if the courses are going to be super difficult. What do y’all recommend?

There isn't as much hacking it seems at the grad level, but the MSCS at CU Boulder lets you take classes in 1 credit bites.  It'd take longer, but it is also reasonable with young ones.  I'm strongly considering a CU program because I'm in the same boat - the "messy middle" years of life with young children and everything squeezing on time.
Working Toward: ME-EM, CU Boulder (Coursera)
Completed: TESU - BA Computer Science, 2023; TESU - AAS Applied Electronic Studies, 2012; K-State -BS Political Science, 2016
[-] The following 3 users Like spohara's post:
  • neutrino, origamishuttle, Pikachu
Then there are the Masters in Applied Computer Science or similar offered from Public/State institutions, I've written about a couple or more in the grad area.  Here are a few, some can be done in one year, but if you're not in a rush, you can take two years, I would pace yourself and not rush it at all:

https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...t-Virginia
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ee-Options
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ual-Degree
https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...USD-1-Year

[-] The following 2 users Like bjcheung77's post:
  • Felisa, origamishuttle
Hey everyone. So I applied to graduate TESU with BACS in September. It’s too late to do the bachelors to masters program. So now my question is, what is the fastest and easiest way to get a masters in computer science or related field? Should I continue at TESU or go to WGU or somewhere else? I like TESU because I live in NJ and the campus is here so it feels like it’s more credible around here vs WGU where people assume it’s a diploma mill. BUT I’m willing to go anywhere that’s easy…. As in I hate writing papers lmao but I guess that’s what grad school is, right? I actually have no clue the structure of courses in grad school… but yeah I’m just looking for the easier and fastest way. What do you guys think?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  ENEB to UK top up masters possible? Atoshi 1 203 04-23-2024, 11:21 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU - Exploring Degree Options with Tuition Assistance Lightorb333 8 320 04-20-2024, 03:33 PM
Last Post: Lightorb333
  Kairos University Masters in Counseling Wnt2BLPC 9 774 04-18-2024, 11:46 AM
Last Post: MichiganMax
  best MBA/Masters in Finance programs after UMPI? CFPhopeful 7 524 04-07-2024, 08:51 PM
Last Post: Mjake260
  New Purdue (Main) online masters in AI smartdegree 7 750 03-20-2024, 04:08 PM
  Cheap Online Software Engineering Masters? yellow_gambit 4 414 03-17-2024, 11:58 PM
Last Post: nyvrem
  A very big thank you to this group. I have completed my Masters in IT from PUG NewatTESU 31 4,418 03-14-2024, 11:07 PM
Last Post: walruspanda
  ENEB MASTERS Accreditation, Questions Sara143 10 1,918 02-20-2024, 02:33 PM
  Teesside University has some interesting Masters programs that cost around 9k USD nyvrem 5 655 02-17-2024, 07:01 AM
Last Post: Tomas
  Analysis paralysis options jb111 5 467 02-13-2024, 11:49 AM