Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
TECEP Admissions/Rate my sanity
Merry Christmas everyone! I'm an active duty pre-law military guy that, unfortunately, only stumbled on this forum a few days ago. Man have I been missing out.

Last summer I took a few classes at PSU World, and last semester started working in earnest towards a BA in poly sci. I did a couple SOPHIA courses during the pandemic (back when you had to pay per class, yikes) and threw in some more, as well as previous junior college credits (Snow, although I never finished an associates or anything.) See my credits so far at the end.

I've been putting of the Gen-Ed requirements at penn state unfortunately. As well as a few extra poly sci classes, i need CAS 100A (public speaking) ENGL 202 (technical/business/other applied writing course) and a 12th credit level of a foreign language. My primary concern is maintaining my GPA - more on that later, but if I can't get an A, I've been dropping the class. I have no trouble in my major classes, but I'm worried about spanish and english composition (I could have tested out of the first one and didn't, like a fool, and that's my lowest grade.)

PSU will give me CAS100A and ENGL 202 for the Public Speaking & Technical Writing courses, although I need to verify the CR/NC the TECEPS show up as will work. I applied as a non-matriculated student at TE two days ago (fee waiver for military!) but haven't heard back yet. MY ADD/DROP DEADLINE AT PSU IS JANUARY 12TH and I believe that you can't take the TECEP until the day the term at TE starts (05JAN) and it says it can take 2 weeks for essay TECEPS to be graded. Will I have enough time here? Is there a way to take the courses earlier or accelerate grading? Please advise.

I took Spanish in high school, and took the Spanish CLEP twice now, but I've only scored high enough for SPAN 1 & 2. I'm certain I could pass Spanish 3 at PSU no problem, but definitely not with an A. I checked every single school on the "Sources of Credit" wiki page, and none of the self-paced options have a SPAN3 credit that PSU will take. I applied at Rio Salado and was accepted; I'm a UT resident legally (not stationed there) but none of the UT community college's offer pass/fail grading. PSU has approved intermediate Spanish at Rio Salado as a SPAN 3 credit, although I'm not sure if cr/nc will work - I plan to check with my advisor when she's back from the holiday. I've also had issues with the Maricopa CC registration system - I'm accepted with an account and .edu email, but when I try to register it says I'm not enrolled at a campus, and when I try and log back into the application it says to wait for a DUO authentication, but never logs me in when I accept it. I tried calling but nobody picked up. Can anyone think of an alternative pass/fail or self paced/non proctored 12th credit level language course? So many options (UND/u of phoenix/SOPHIA even though PSU won't accept it) only go up to SPAN 2. The only other option I found was accelerated Latin at UT@Austin, but that was way over the top and not pass/fail. 

Last point- my gpa. I've maintained OK grades at PSU, but I need the best grades possible for law school; I want to go to a T14. I have a 168 on the LSAT but am workin on it - my score will definitely go up when they get rid of the logic games but I worry everyone else's will too! If you look below, I have two stupid courses I took to graduate HS early that are counted by the LSAC for my undergrad gpa. For those that aren't aware, it averages all your grades (unfortuately including in High school, and A+s even though PSU doesn't have them) until you receive your first bachelor's degree, then stops. My current UGPA is a 3.6, and my goal is a high 3.8+ I'm working on trying to get readmitted to BYU Idaho to retake those courses, they only just made retakes an option and it's still a little fuzzy. I've been working through some ASU EA courses to get my GPA up although PSU won't take any of the self paced ones for credit that would help me (although the non-self paced history courses I could work into a minor if I took two upper div history courses) Does anyone know of anything cheaper, and preferably that has A+ as an option? Otherwise in the summer I'll probably transfer over to ASU proper as they do offer A+, although my Tuition Assistance is already maxed out for the year.

Credits
BYU - Idaho (Concurrent HS Enrollment, took online via petition/COVID) (Summer 2020)
POLS 110 - AMERICAN GOV - B-
SOC 383 - JUVENILE DELINQUENCY - C

Snow College (Online, non-accelerated) (Fall 2021)
SOC 1010 - Intro Sociology - A
PSY 1010 - INTRO PSYCH - A
SW 2400 - DIVERSE POPULATIONS - A
COMM 2110 - INTERPERSONAL COMMUNICATIONS - B+ (This professor hated me and I'm still pissed I got a B+ in it. Doofus.)
CJ 1010 - Intro to CJ - A

PSU World (Summer 2023-Present) (MD represents military drop, not completed, doesn't effect GPA

Messages In This Thread
TECEP Admissions/Rate my sanity - by PreLawCoastie - 12-25-2023, 07:51 PM
RE: TECEP Admissions/Rate my sanity - by Nemfis - 01-09-2024, 12:28 PM
RE: TECEP Admissions/Rate my sanity - by LevelUP - 12-27-2023, 04:56 PM
RE: TECEP Admissions/Rate my sanity - by LevelUP - 12-28-2023, 02:38 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  BIO-208 TECEP exam yellowshehulk 6 1,426 10-15-2024, 10:59 PM
Last Post: talerent
  Does TECEP count towards (30) RA credits at TESU? kt320 18 1,084 08-29-2024, 05:50 PM
Last Post: wow
  Instacert for Abnormal Psych TECEP wow 0 189 08-27-2024, 09:22 AM
  Anyone take the TECEP for Meteorology? kt320 3 1,211 08-19-2024, 07:35 PM
  TECEP Financial Accounting Carnation 1 604 08-09-2024, 08:34 AM
Last Post: Dr. Doom
  Public Speaking TECEP PreLawCoastie 1 632 06-11-2024, 03:53 AM
Last Post: Himmaing55
  Technical Writing TECEP - My Experience PreLawCoastie 4 1,688 05-20-2024, 05:20 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  TECEP FIN-3210 Security Analysis & Portfolio Management fmsoa 2 717 01-18-2024, 04:42 PM
Last Post: CFPhopeful
  Abnormal Psychology TECEP is now available on InstantCert! sgloer 0 496 01-04-2024, 12:27 PM
Last Post: sgloer
  Managerial Comm TECEP saraholson 7 2,107 12-15-2023, 01:23 PM
Last Post: Dosada