Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 4 Average
UMPI BS in liberal arts with a minor in management
(08-01-2021, 02:58 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(08-01-2021, 02:49 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Asombroso! ¡Eso fue rápido!  Yes, the UMPI BLS is perfect for you!  So, I'll update my previous post details.  You just need a Biology Lab with Study.com, since you're already taking a course from them, I suggest taking a second course a the same time, two courses and two exams at $200/month.  I recommend following ss20ts suggestions - having said that, because you work so fast, I am leaning on advising getting more of your credits at UMPI vs getting your courses through alternative means OR add a second minor.  The main reason is because for graduate school, they mainly look at the last 30 credits, but some schools look past that for up to 60 credits, depending on the Masters and institution.  UMPI courses are graded, alternative credit options mainly are pass/fail.

I agree with bjcheung's statements. Since you have experience in management and marketing, you may be interested in the BA in Business Administration with Marketing Concentration or the Management and Leadership Concentration. With the BLS you can complete multiple minors as well. The minors available currently are Accounting, Educational Studies, Management, Management Information Systems, and Project Management. I complete the Management, Management Information Systems, and Project Management minors for my BLS degree at UMPI. There is some overlap in some of the minors so you don't always have an additional 6 courses to complete for every minor. 

I'm currently in grad school and having completed my last 60 credits at a RA school was important for admission. I completed 48 at UMPI and 21 at CSU Global just before I transferred to UMPI so I had 69 RA credits at the end in addition to my Sophia credits and associate degrees from many years ago.

ETA: UMPI also has actual professors teach their YourPace courses so you are not alone in the program. You have an academic advisor and an academic success coach as well. These 2 people are very helpful whenever you have an issue or need help. 

The professors are the same professors who teach on campus so they know the material. In the YourPace program, you are able to have phone calls, Zoom meetings, and email sessions with them when you need help or have questions. In the classes that have a written Final Assessment you are able to submit a rough draft for the professor to review and send you feedback. In the courses with exams for the Final Assessment, you can take the exam twice to earn a B. You must earn at least 80% to pass the exam and all of the Final Assessments. 

Because of the help you can receive from the professors and the Writing Lab, I think UMPI would be a good option for you especially since you want to go on to law school and you've said you struggle with writing in English because it's not your first language. Your undergraduate degree would be the time to work on these skills and improve them. Trying to do that while attending law school would probably be very difficult.
You have a great point when you say that law school will not be a good time to learn how to write essays. I have been thinking about that for a while now. 
As per the BLS options I think that you are right about exploring other options ,  Management and Leadership Concentration sounds like a good fit.
UMPI, Bachelor of Liberal Studies - Managment Minor, 2021
Magna Cum Laude (3.8 GPA)

Messages In This Thread
RE: UMPI BS in liberal arts with a minor in management - by Federicojavier - 08-01-2021, 03:16 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  UMPI YourPace BA History & Political Science - transfer questions. Patchouli_Skoal 6 214 2 hours ago
Last Post: Patchouli_Skoal
  bjcheung77 - UMPI BAS Progress Thread bjcheung77 33 4,671 Yesterday, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Bikingrox211
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 128 96,731 10-14-2024, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Konny08
  Majoring in hospitality, tourism, or event management—any advice? lumina 11 343 10-13-2024, 04:27 PM
Last Post: lumina
  Easiest Business Minor Samhain408 16 727 10-13-2024, 12:20 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  BUS 325 - Financial Management on Brightspace MikeyJeff 11 1,896 10-11-2024, 12:43 PM
  UMPI Accounting Assistance - Degree Plan NewbieLearner 17 1,207 10-10-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: NewbieLearner
  7 Bus & Psy Courses Left - UMPI vs study.com??? radicallena 7 459 10-07-2024, 10:18 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Question regarding UMPI BAS to MAOL Hackingat40 5 423 10-02-2024, 12:12 PM
Last Post: Hackingat40
  UMPI GPA Question joshua27 8 2,270 09-28-2024, 09:24 AM