Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do universities and employers discriminate against people with an online degree?
(12-24-2017, 05:39 PM)cookderosa Wrote: Since the program they are offering consists of distance learning, it seems unlikely that they'd disallow credentials earned the same way.  Still, you could email them and ask.  It's a simple question- one I sent to MULTIPLE medical and nursing schools when I was in the market.  I asked point blank if sciences with labs taken via distance learning were acceptable.   Initially I was going to send it to all the MD and DO medical schools (and some nursing) but it got boring after a while when EVERY. SINGLE. ONE. told me it didn't matter....with their requisite "ideally taken in person" thrown somewhere in there.  
It is my OPINION that applicants to post-bac programs are evaluated differently than those teens applying to undergraduate programs.  Post-bac/grad applicants are multilayered and have life experiences.  They are 3D whereas sometimes a teenager may have very little to fill up an application with- making things like high school transcripts/SAT scores very important.  Wherever you apply, they'll be looking at much more than whether or not you studied online, so taking care to meet all the requirements exactly as they've asked and then filling in all the blanks with robust and positive reasons they should let you in would be my plan.  Volunteer, letters of rec, etc. - these are all good ways to make a good impression.  I wish you all the best, and for now, let's get that bachelor's degree!

I had the same thought, but I read online that they discriminate against people with distance degrees—yeah, being distance education themselves doesn't make that illogical at all (sarcasm), haha. Smile 

I could send them an email and see what they say. Thanks for the idea!

(12-25-2017, 02:37 AM)blaczkowitz Wrote: I would assume yes they do discriminate - as to how much is hard to say, but some of the discrimination is sometimes legitimate.  I've met some people who only had 'online classes' who...  might have the technical knowledge taught in the class but seem to lack some of the social unwritten rules and such also learned in class.  Just like sometimes homeschooled kids can be extremely intelligent but lack some of the practical skills learned in school with others.  (note I said sometimes, and this isn't meant as a slight - just my experience)  Sometimes that experience is literally learning how to deal with totally unfair bullsh_t believe it or not... bullies in class, teachers that take some random mislike to you (the same way that some boss or manager might and then youre dealing with office politics - which is not taught online) and crap nobody should have to deal with, but everyone usually does anyways.  If nothing else starting online then transferring and graduating from somewhere more physical might help mitigate that.

I dont know the specifics of your field but I do know that the more work experience you have, the less the degree matters - just that you have one - because after the first job or two you're sort of considered proven and it's more important what your work history is.  So in the worst case be prepared for a tough first job or two (be really sure you make the employer happy and get good references) and after that it's probably much less of a deal.

Yes, people pay 50K+ for a degree in general life lessons! Big Grin Paying 1/5 of that for only the knowledge, when you already have had a lot of life lessons, is a lot better. Smile

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do universities and employers discriminate against people with an online degree? - by Kev - 12-31-2017, 05:11 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 4 82 4 hours ago
Last Post: rickrick
  Clackamas Courses - Online or Remote (set schedule) bjcheung77 8 1,614 09-07-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 7 1,310 09-01-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: Fred78
  Degree plan help RajSingh 8 296 08-29-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,581 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 1,931 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  Affordable online community colleges for non-residents nomaduser 30 6,662 08-21-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  New online degrees from top Indian universities Robson 8 516 08-20-2024, 07:36 AM
Last Post: Robson
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,082 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Taking exams for online courses stats-time 4 332 08-04-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Duneranger