Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Do universities and employers discriminate against people with an online degree?
I guess I have a different spin on it than others. First of all, most of my credits were from Brick and Mortar colleges that I acquired throughout different periods of my life. I pulled them all together through TESU, so that I could complete the degree. Who says I did it all online? Who says it is an online degree? Here are a few points :

1) Most colleges throughout that nation now have online courses, if not complete degree programs online. Neither their transcripts nor their diplomas distinguish if you went to class and sat in a seat, or whether you did the coursework online.

2) Most teachers that I know require continuing education to keep up their teaching certs. My sister in law went to traditional school for her Bachelor. After 10 years of teaching, she required her Master's. She did it all online through a big school. If public schools are accepting online for their teachers to maintain certs and promotions, it should be good enough for everyone else.

3) My wife is an Administrator of a large college. Brick and Mortar college with NO online offerings. Many of their employees are working on their Master's and are taking them from other colleges. All online. If a major college accepts online for their own employees, well.........

4) We are in a wired age. The internet and alternative education is WAY more accepted than it used to be. It is only going to grow in popularity. The college that my wife works for is in a panic because they do not have an online program yet. Students and parents are starting to DEMAND online offerings. Anymore, if a college can't keep up with online schools, they are bound to fail.

5) Community Colleges and Online classes have been heavily promoted by many Philanthropists and even the previous President as a way to increase STEM training, build our country's pool of educated workers, while simultaneously decreasing student loan debt. Sorry for those who don't see it this way, but OUR method is becoming more fashionable and also prudent. Expect more to follow our lead.

I work in software development, and most everyone I work with is college educated. I would say that a large portion of the younger crowd with degrees have had experience with online schooling at some level. As time passes, and younger managers take over, online schooling will be more and more prevalent and accepted. Sure, there may still be some older, more traditional managers out there, that may look down at an online education, but you will see less and less of that with time.

FORGE AHEAD! You are doing the right thing.
Western Governor's University
MSCSIA - Completed 2020.  Program completed in 8 months.
Cybersecurity Scholarship Recipient
Thomas Edison State University
B.A.L.S 2019 
ASNSM - Computer Science - 2018 
Pierpont College
Board of Governor's AAS, AOE Information Systems - 2017

[-] The following 4 users Like ChilliDawg's post:
  • allvia, davewill, Ideas, Kev

Messages In This Thread
RE: Do universities and employers discriminate against people with an online degree? - by ChilliDawg - 12-21-2017, 03:06 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 4 82 4 hours ago
Last Post: rickrick
  Clackamas Courses - Online or Remote (set schedule) bjcheung77 8 1,614 09-07-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 7 1,310 09-01-2024, 10:13 AM
Last Post: Fred78
  Degree plan help RajSingh 8 296 08-29-2024, 11:11 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,581 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 1,931 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  Affordable online community colleges for non-residents nomaduser 30 6,662 08-21-2024, 05:25 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  New online degrees from top Indian universities Robson 8 516 08-20-2024, 07:36 AM
Last Post: Robson
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,082 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Taking exams for online courses stats-time 4 332 08-04-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: Duneranger