Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Changes in our Society...good or bad? Thoughts for discussion.
I took my kids to Comic-Con last year, mostly because we had just moved to the area the year before and saw all the celebrities on the news, and thought we'd like to see some celebs too. There is a very broad spectrum of Comic-Con fandom. From people we steered clear of because they were a little too scary/made us uncomfortable....to people like us, who obviously had no clue what was going on, and probably in many fervent Comic-Con attendeees' minds, had no right to be there. It was a delicate balance between laughing at what we saw and trying not to judge, lol. There was one uncomfortable moment when I had to explain to my 16 year old daughter who/what "furries" were. I wasn't expecting to see any there, but my daughter is a big CSI fan and they had done a show on furries a while back (which is how I learned about them) so she may even have been exposed before and forgot.
One thing we did experience, without exception, was that every single person we interacted with was nice to us. It's a community within itself and just being in the building, or walking out in the city with your "swag bag" made you a part of that community. One couple we met, and waited in line with for 4 hours to get into panel rooms, actually gave us their sold out tickets to a private, 200 person panel with Zachary Levi. A $40 value and they had been sold out since the morning they went on sale. They did this simply because we were new and had arrived way too late to get into the public panel, and because they had seen Zachary Levi "sitting in" on another private panel they had purchased tickets to. These strangers wouldn't take any money, and wouldn't even tell us their last names or give us any information that would allow us to repay them in any way. We were completely blown away by the kindness and acceptance into the Comic-Con world. We are going back again this year, but rather than purchasing tickets to the convention, we are just going to hang out in the restaurants surrounding the convention center and go to the "supplemental" events.
As far as the topic...I think these kinds of alternative lifestyles have always been around, but the world is just a little more open to allowing people to be more public about it. It may simply be economical. Perhaps in the past, convention space would be denied to a group because the venue owners disapproved. It may be social. Perhaps today's venue owners aren't afraid that no one else will book their venue because of what kind of groups had previously been there. I might even venture to say....without trying to offend, that maybe the perception of having things forced on us is a reflection of our own feelings about whatever is becoming socially acceptable. Using myself and my family as an example: My parents were not thrilled that my husband isn't exactly like me. I hesitate to say race because there is no such thing as race. When I was born, it was illegal in this country for my husband and I to marry. When my parents met, their families and their churches objected to the union because they were of different faiths. My dad feels that "homosexuality" is being forced on him because he is forced to see gay characters on some of his favorite TV shows. IMO, he's just not ready for it. He was ready for interfaith marriage when he met my mom, he had to accept inter-racial (ugh, there's that word again) marriage when I met my husband, and if either of my brothers was gay, he would have had to accept that too.

As for the attendees themselves, I think many of them need psychological help. I personally don't think it's healthy to detach so completely from "real life", whether it be into anime, video games, or anything else. Even sports. I see grown men crying/abusing their loved ones/becoming violent because the Giants or the Red Sox lost and I feel they need some help too.
Lyanne

DSST (27)
Personal Finance - 448 Astronomy - 61 Civil War and Reconstruction - 68 History of Vietnam War - 68 Substance Abuse - 59 World Religions - 473 Rise and Fall of the Soviet Union - 55 Environment and Humanity: Race to Save the Planet -61 Intro to Modern Middle East - 58
CLEP (48)
American Literature-73 American Government-62 U.S. History I - 64 U.S. History II -73 A&I Literature - 75 Western Civ I - 58 Western Civ II - 61 English Literature - 67 Humanities -76 Intro Sociology - 62 Social Sciences & History - 69
Other (43)
English Composition, Literature & Composition, Art Appreciation, General Psychology, Intro to Anthropology, Abnormal Psychology, Travel Agency Operations, Advanced Hospitality (7 credits), Intro Computer Software, Digital Photography, War and American Society, TESC Capstone
ALEKS (3)
Intermediate Algebra

**Not official, but BA History at Thomas Edison State College!!!!!!*

Messages In This Thread
Changes in our Society...good or bad? Thoughts for discussion. - by Lyanne - 05-28-2012, 12:39 PM

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Happy Mother's Day! Life is Good! Vanity Update Charles Fout 4 832 10-14-2023, 02:17 PM
Last Post: Charles Fout
  Living the Good Life on $24,000 a Year? Retire in Your 20’s or 30’s? LevelUP 34 7,124 03-26-2022, 12:28 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  What is Good Advice for Future Expats? Kal Di 3 838 03-13-2022, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Messdiener
  Windows 11 Home Upgrade - Pretty Good bjcheung77 3 1,009 03-06-2022, 06:05 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Specific college discussion request: WGU MNomadic 2 916 05-26-2020, 11:27 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Shocker - Common Core not giving good outcomes dfrecore 16 3,098 04-24-2020, 02:18 AM
Last Post: PrettyFlyforaChiGuy
  where's a good place to relocate if you're in tech ? nyvrem 9 2,255 03-03-2019, 09:23 AM
Last Post: alab21
  Thoughts on Unions? MNomadic 2 1,099 10-04-2018, 04:40 PM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Seemed like a good deal, Name Brand assoc. School low tuition Unv. of Ark. but not frank.f.franky 9 3,232 06-17-2018, 03:39 PM
Last Post: ReyMysterioso
  Thoughts? Regards 4 1,213 05-31-2018, 05:27 PM
Last Post: dfrecore