Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Math overlap
While I have been waiting for my local test centre to finish enrolling to do clep and dsst testing I have been doing Aleks math courses. Over the past month or so I have banged off beginning algebra, intermediate algebra, college algebra, business stats and pre-calculus. My hope was to be able to fill the math, and some of the additional credit slots that would be needed to complete a business degree. My question is are any of the Big 3 to likely to give me credit for all of these courses, or is there too much overlap between some of them? If I can get credit for each one I will probably keep plunking away at Aleks and do a few more until I am able to begin clepping. If I have maxed out what Aleks can do for me I will begin studying double time for the next phase of things.

Thanks for reading.

SM
lidel Wrote:While I have been waiting for my local test centre to finish enrolling to do clep and dsst testing I have been doing Aleks math courses. Over the past month or so I have banged off beginning algebra, intermediate algebra, college algebra, business stats and pre-calculus. My hope was to be able to fill the math, and some of the additional credit slots that would be needed to complete a business degree. My question is are any of the Big 3 to likely to give me credit for all of these courses, or is there too much overlap between some of them? If I can get credit for each one I will probably keep plunking away at Aleks and do a few more until I am able to begin clepping. If I have maxed out what Aleks can do for me I will begin studying double time for the next phase of things.

Thanks for reading.

SM

TESC is generous with ALEKS. In addition to what you have, you can also do the Intro Stats and the CLEP College Math to extract the full amount of math credit. Here is the breakdown:

001 Beginning Algebra- TESC MAT089 (NO CREDIT)

002 Intermediate Algebra- TESC MAT115 - 3 credits

CLEP college math TESC MAT102/103 - 6 credits

**Choose 1** 3 credits
003 College Algebra- MAT121 *TESC Duplicate College Algebra w/trig
004 College Algebra with Trig- MAT121 *TESC Duplicate College Algebra

**Choose 1** 3 credits
005 PreCal- MAT129 *TESC Duplicate Trig
006 Trig- MAT129 *TESC Duplicates PreCal

**Choose 1** 3 credits
007 Intro Stats- STA201 *TESC Duplicates all other stats
009 Stats for Beh. Science- STA201 *TESC Duplicate all other stats

**Business also choose this** 3 credits
008 Business Stats- OPM351 *TESC Duplicates all other stats except business
Thank you for the excellent input. I will take your advice and maximize what Aleks can do for me. Intro Stats here I come!
do these courses overlap? Excelsior says you can only get one or the other???? So i get 6hrs of Clep College Math and none for the 3hr college algebra course i took.......... strange????

so that makes me need another 3hr lower level to replace it

Help.
bella2011 Wrote:do these courses overlap? Excelsior says you can only get one or the other???? So i get 6hrs of Clep College Math and none for the 3hr college algebra course i took.......... strange????

so that makes me need another 3hr lower level to replace it

Help.

The liberal arts faculty at Excelsior should award the maximum of 12 credits/4 courses through ALEKS if you were to take them all and submit them. EC only awards credit for one of the three stats courses.

The last iteration of the faculty handbook states that up to three maths courses below the level of calculus will be awarded credit. Unfortunately, the 6 credit CLEP counts as two of these courses (going on previous reporting), so really, this means that 9 credits will be awarded below calculus.

edit: If you are actually asking about the CLEP College Maths (6 credits) and CLEP College Algebra (3 credits), then these two tests could give you the maximum 9 credits for pre calculus.

If you are asking about the CLEP College Maths test and a course in College Algebra you took elsewhere, then it depends on the syllabus. Hopefully, it shouldn't be required but EC might ask to see it in order to check what was actually in the course.
[SIZE="1"]
Bachelor of Science in Psychology, Excelsior College 2012
Master of Arts in International Relations, Staffordshire University, UK - in progress

Aleks
All courses taken, 12 credits applied
CLEP
A&I Literature (74), Intro Sociology (72), Info Systems and Computer Apps (67), Humanities (70), English Literature (65), American Literature (51), Principles of Mangement (65), Principles of Marketing (71)
DSST
Management Information Systems (469), Intro to Computing (461)
Excelsior College
Information Literacy, International Terrorism (A), Contemporary Middle East History (A), Discrete Structures (A), Social Science Capstone (A)
GRE Subject Test
Psychology (93rd percentile, 750 scaled score)
Straighterline
English Composition I&II, Economics I&II, Accounting I&II, General Calculus I, Business Communication

Progress history[/SIZE]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Affordable Math degree for non-US (international) citizen OtterDen 22 1,587 07-17-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Reasonably priced upper-division RA math courses Ivo Lah 5 576 06-18-2024, 11:20 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cheapest Dual Enrollment For Advanced Math the_epic_man 3 637 01-11-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  CSM Math - what's it like? CircleT7 25 3,115 11-14-2023, 09:58 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  online RA undergrad discrete math course nomaduser 12 1,403 09-08-2023, 12:56 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  CSM course as a math req natshar 13 1,632 07-20-2023, 04:14 PM
Last Post: staceydiane
  Need Statsitics, but hate all the Math? The Statisistics TECEP may be your answer. Prloko 9 4,595 05-23-2023, 02:39 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  RA math option? Insert Name 7 1,276 02-20-2023, 09:02 PM
Last Post: Insert Name
  Is It Worth the Money to Get a College Degree? Lets Do the Math and Find Out! LevelUP 20 2,643 02-08-2023, 07:27 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Math Help! splirow 16 1,963 09-01-2022, 02:39 PM
Last Post: splirow