Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question for Graduate Students
ShotoJuku Wrote:Two Words: [COLOR="Red"]Writing Intensive!!

I'd type more however I'm only at page 20 on a paper that I'm writing for a employee training and devlopment class; five more pages ought to do it! banghead[/COLOR]

I would add READING INTENSIVE and RESEARCH INTENSIVE as well. ShotoJuko's point about "only" being at page 20 in his writing assignment is a realistic example of a week in the life a graduate student!
[SIZE="4"]Terry[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][B][SIZE="2"]How do you eat an elephant? One bite at a time![/SIZE][/SIZE][/SIZE][/B]

[SIZE="3"]
AS and BS completed
MBA - In Progress[/SIZE]
motuterry Wrote:I would add READING INTENSIVE and RESEARCH INTENSIVE as well. ShotoJuko's point about "only" being at page 20 in his writing assignment is a realistic example of a week in the life a graduate student!

:iagree: I just fainted!!! I'm dying just writing 1200-word papers once a week. If the MBA is in my future, I guess I better learn to write and speal? hilarious

Good luck all you masters people. I hope to join you someday (and thus I can't give you any relevant information right now).
BSBA in Finance from TESC by fall 2011
Total: 147 credits
I just submitted my 2nd paper today. It was over 7 pages and I had to edit and revise content to get it under 7.

My third paper is already at 5 pages and needs to grow a little but I am having trouble adding more to it. Its funny like that some times.

I don't look forward to writing papers but I think that with each paper I will become more and more fluent in APA citation style, developing a thesis etc. After a few papers it may even become rote. Lets hope.

The good news is that I have previewed the syllabi for the computer centric courses in my mba and they are going to be a piece of cake for me. Its equivalent to the work you would do your second year on the job. I am considering asking if I can take some doctorate (7000) level computer courses instead of the 5000 level courses in the program. This would put me in a better position if I were to do a DBA.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Thank you.. I really appreciate all of the responses. I love writing (as you can tell by my constant posting lol Smile) However, I am very new to the APA style and TERRIFIED by it! I just did a long homework assignment for the capstone and did something totally different than what I wanted to do just so I wouldn't have to cite any sources. On the plus side, I think all that creativity to avoid citation actually made a much better paper than what I had originally intended.

I think that while all of my CLEPping has made for an enjoyable, faster pace to graduation, it's made me very afraid of citing. Hmm... do they offer citation classes?
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
ISSA Certified Nutritionist
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
burbuja0512 Wrote:Thank you.. I really appreciate all of the responses. I love writing (as you can tell by my constant posting lol Smile) However, I am very new to the APA style and TERRIFIED by it! I just did a long homework assignment for the capstone and did something totally different than what I wanted to do just so I wouldn't have to cite any sources. On the plus side, I think all that creativity to avoid citation actually made a much better paper than what I had originally intended.

I think that while all of my CLEPping has made for an enjoyable, faster pace to graduation, it's made me very afraid of citing. Hmm... do they offer citation classes?
My psych professor gave this to us in class...it's the APA guidelines...maybe it can help you Smile

Attached Files
.docx   Less than 1 minute ago">APA_Guidelines.docx (Size: 57.93 KB / Downloads: 34)
- [SIZE="2"]STG[/SIZE]
[COLOR="Plum"][SIZE="1"]Intro to Sociology 51|Biology 54|Intro to Psychology 61
College Algebra A[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]124 credits: B.A Social Sciences [B]DONE in 14 months; August 2011[/COLOR][/B]
"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty"- [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Winston Churchill[/COLOR]
purpleteen Wrote:My psych professor gave this to us in class...it's the APA guidelines...maybe it can help you Smile

:hurray: :hurray: :hurray:

YEAH!!! Love it!! Thank you.

I just need to read and re-read. Then I have to suck it up and make sure that I cite a bunch of sources in my next paper. The only way I'm going to conquer this fear is through practice... and lots of it!
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
ISSA Certified Nutritionist
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
Lol you're lucky I saved it... hilarious
- [SIZE="2"]STG[/SIZE]
[COLOR="Plum"][SIZE="1"]Intro to Sociology 51|Biology 54|Intro to Psychology 61
College Algebra A[/SIZE][/COLOR]
[COLOR="DarkOrange"]124 credits: B.A Social Sciences [B]DONE in 14 months; August 2011[/COLOR][/B]
"The pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. The optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty"- [COLOR="DarkOrchid"]Winston Churchill[/COLOR]
Ncu has a writing center with a whole bunch of material on content development, thesis creation, structure, style and apa formatting.
They also give you 1800 minutes of smarthinking tutoring. The tutor will help you clean up your apa format and help among other things.

I have used it for both of my papers and will continue to do so.

Apa scared the crap out of me at first but I am getting used to it.
BSBA CIS from TESC, BA Natural Science/Math from TESC
MBA Applied Computer Science from NCU
Enrolled at NCU in the PhD Applied Computer Science
Also, you can buy APA software that works with your Microsoft Word or whatever program you use. It essentially keeps you're paper compliant and helps with citing and formatting. It's on my Christmas list. Smile
I'm in an MHA program and on average in our regular 6 wk classes we have about 2-4 chapters to read in 1-3 texts, then we have to write two 800-1800 word discussion board post all in full APA format with usually a minimum of 4 references. Then we have to respond to at least two other students posts for each topic with a miniumum of 200-400 words of substantive content with a minimum of 2 references, again all in full APA format. We also have to do a learning journal entry each week.

This current term had our capstone start that will run through 3 consecutive terms. So while we do the other work listed above we have to formulate a 30-50 page paper in full APA format including all elements. We also have to submit this in sections along with a power point presentation. This capstone is based on us actually working for a healthcare facility and performing some problem solving service for them which they will give feedback for that we will submit in summary form. This will take a total of 36 weeks to complete in phases with the final paper, powerpoint and summary submitted in total at the end. This is termed a research project. Every step even the basic breakdown of the business structure of our facilty being used has to be in APA format.

I hate writing and didn't realize this was part of the requirement for this program. I would love to do my doctorate, but the dissertation and all the required writing has me shying away, so needless to say when this was revealed to us a few weeks ago I was gobsmacked! If I survive this it will be a miracle! At my age I think this will take a few years off my life. Up to this point my other 4 classes were fun and doable with working full-time and having kids still at home. This extra work load and a teacher that seems very unreasonable has several of us A students contemplating our options as we are all now barely getting B's in her class. She is our regular class instructor and our capstone instructor so we are stuck with her for 36 weeks instead of just 6. I can take anyone for 6 weeks, but 36 may be a challenge.

I agree that the program rigor is different for different majors. This is an accelerated cohort program that is completed in 18 months so it may be more work on a faster pace. Your mileage may vary!

I hope this helps.
Completed 2/09 - 5/13

RHIA Post-Bac Cert - Stephens - 5/13
MHA - Bellevue Univ - 3/12
BSHS - Excelsior 12/10
BSLS - Excelsior 3/10
ASLS - Excelsior 4/09

ECE - A&P - B
ECE - Found. of Gerontology - B
ECE - Ethics: Theory & Practice - B
ECE - Psych. of Adulthood & Aging - A
ECE - Social Psych. - B
ECE - Abnormal Psych. - B
ECE - HR Management - B
ECE - Research Methods of Psych. - B
ECE - Pathophysiology - A

CLEP - American Govt - 58
CLEP - Intro. to Sociology - 63
CLEP - A & I Lit - 70
DSST - Fund. of Counseling - A (65)
DSST - Org. Behavior - A (67)
DSST - Environment & Humanity - A (62)
DSST - Found. of Education - A (64)
DSST - Here's to Your Health - 461 (Pass)
DSST - Substance Abuse - 460 (Pass)
DSST - Principles of Supervision - A (61)
DSST - Lifespan Developmental Psych - A (59)
DSST - Criminal Justice - 443 (Pass)
DSST - MIS - 415 (Pass)
UExcel - Intro. to Psych (Beta)- Pass
ALEKS - College Alg, Stats
Straighterline - Medical Term, Pharmacology I & II
FEMA - PDS + more

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Fun Viral TikTok Question Riddles LevelUP 18 1,709 05-10-2024, 08:34 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
Thumbs Down Perpetual Students burbuja0512 36 6,242 03-27-2024, 08:19 AM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley
  To defend or not to defend, that is the question! bjcheung77 4 780 02-21-2023, 01:57 PM
Last Post: Pats20
  How should I structure my CV as a UMPI Graduate? atmoex 8 1,253 02-12-2023, 08:21 PM
Last Post: tsgreer
  Homeschooled Students? Stacie 8 1,344 08-25-2022, 03:25 AM
Last Post: MitchellHolst
  Resume Question ROYISAGIRL 11 1,376 07-12-2022, 08:38 PM
Last Post: jsd
  Teacher Has Personalized Handshakes With His Students danivalero 1 671 07-02-2022, 10:15 AM
Last Post: millaterns2
  Program to educate incarcerated people costs 40K per graduate?! studyingfortests 25 2,311 05-11-2022, 06:29 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  Another job application question carebear_007 4 792 04-11-2022, 02:41 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Storage Space Solutions - Students bjcheung77 2 1,253 01-16-2022, 01:46 AM
Last Post: bluebooger