Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BA-LS vs w/Psych Concentration vs BA in Psych.
Re. BA plan options: Question: 
Which one of these will be quickest and easiest, for me?
I'm assuming so far that the BA options I'm deciding between above are listed in order of expected time/effort, lower to higher. I also assume it's subjective: relative to my background, existing knowledge and interests.

Context:
Ed. background: I don't have many RA/transfer credits on my TESU launch pad, and I'm not sure how many I'll get from Navy training, yet. That transfer credit intake and evaluation process should complete soon. Hopefully next week (mid Oct).

Personal/professional interests and personality:
I've long identified myself as a humanities and creative/artist type, very broadly. I used to read A LOT of literary fiction. Pretty much the entire American literary canon. Just from personal interest. At one point I wanted to be a writer/journalist. Translating that to a career in Silicon Valley, where I grew up, meant taking tech writing courses. But I soon switched to Graphic Design, in a trade/career school (not RA sadly), for career development. Timing was good as the web took off in the late 90s and I've been 100% all around web development guy ever since. Humanizing technology. Subjects I most naturally gravitate to are history, philosophy and mythology. Psychology is really an extension of that, and it crosses over in to my career in human factors/usability for web/software design, too. I do a lot of user interviews and other kinds of user research, professionally. I hope this adds context for your input about which program/plan of those above are most likely help me achieve my BA goal with least/time effort.  

Heart
___

Degree goal: BA LS. I think I’d like psychology concentration. But fastest=best so either way.
Current RA Credits: ~10? (Intake ongoing, no eval yet.)
Current ACE/CLEP/NCCRS Credits: 0
Any certifications or military experience?: Navy. 80’s. OTA3 (anti-submarine). No ACE certs. Two non-ACE:
  • Human Factors International, Certified Usability Analyst.
  • Norman Neilson Group (NN/g), Ux Management Certified.

Budget: ~8k?
Timeframe: 1 year!
Dedicated time to study: About 15 hours/week max. (TBD if all above jibes or it may take longer but this is my firm target.)
Tuition assistance/reimbursement: No external support yet. Private funds.
[-] The following 1 user Likes mbcummings's post:
  • staceydiane
Starting from zero the time difference is the same (TESU from zero plan at least 1 yr), and cost is near equal. Even at your GenX age you'd probably be better off with the BA Psychology vs Liberal Studies, but if you're already in a career any 'check box' bachelor works. Starting from nothing (without 24RA credits), you might want to consider UMPI. Even if it takes you a few extra sessions to complete it due to having less less hours to dedicate weekly than some here might to 'get it done!', it would likely still be faster and lower cost than TESU. If your military credits are indeed RA, or ACE, then UMPI would likely give you elective credits for them. Either way 10 credits won't slow you down even if they're not applied at either school. Are you still active military? If so that may sway me due to the TECEPS counting for residency (and they're RA), plus the reduced tuition. But back to UMPI, they offer a BA Psychology - although you might be a good fit for their 'BA in English – Professional Communication & Journalism Concentration', or their 'BA in History & Political Science – History Concentration' based on your stated interests. I'm a very proud TESU alumn, but for the type of degree(s) you're considering UMPI is what I would recommend.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • mbcummings
(10-11-2024, 03:00 PM)allvia Wrote: Starting from zero the time difference is the same (TESU from zero plan at least 1 yr), and cost is near equal. Even at your GenX age you'd probably be better off with the BA Psychology vs Liberal Studies, but if you're already in a career any 'check box' bachelor works. Starting from nothing (without 24RA credits), you might want to consider UMPI. Even if it takes you a few extra sessions to complete it due to having less less hours to dedicate weekly than some here might to 'get it done!', it would likely still be faster and lower cost than TESU. If your military credits are indeed RA, or ACE, then UMPI would likely give you elective credits for them. Either way 10 credits won't slow you down even if they're not applied at either school. Are you still active military? If so that may sway me due to the TECEPS counting for residency (and they're RA), plus the reduced tuition. But back to UMPI, they offer a BA Psychology - although you might be a good fit for their 'BA in English – Professional Communication & Journalism Concentration', or their 'BA in History & Political Science – History Concentration' based on your stated interests. I'm a very proud TESU alumn, but for the type of degree(s) you're considering UMPI is what I would recommend.

Thank you Allvia! Great recommendations. As others here have alluded, UMPI seems the rising star. Maybe we should add one to "big 3"? 
I'd love to see survey results here of enrollments vs graduates per school - I don't see many UMPI degrees denoted yet.
It can be extremely difficult to compare among the big 4 in terms of time, cost, and what I'll call operational and administrative maturity. TESC seems to me to have reasonably well functioning tech and ops/admin capabilities to support us remote types. Whereas UMPI is an unknown quantity, beyond anecdotes here and their (meh) website. More importantly, their next "session" (cohort?) doesn't start until Jan. 2025: https://apps.maine.edu/yourpace/apply/ I don't want to wait. Undecided

PS. Not active. I only did 4 years in the Navy. Many many moons ago.
UMPI has been a top choice here for a few years now, it may not be a Big 3  - but that is due to the rare characteristics of what makes the Big 3 'The Big Three'. UMPI starting their next session in Jan 2025 would actually be ideal for you to start now, since you don't have anything and would need to start acquiring credits through sources that are not UMPI (Sophia is the most logical, as you may not need another) - https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/UM...quivalents UMPI is heavy on the writing (no exams) but that certainly won't be an issue for you given your background. And just because it is all writing based does not equal it being more difficult that any courses at TESU (it has not been TESC 2016); it has even been reported that taking 10 required courses at UMPI for the BABA M&L is less writing than the TESU BSBA Capstone alone. This comparison is for example, as I know it is not a business degree you're look at - but there has been similar statements made about the TESU BA capstone to UMPI BA options. The biggest reason for this is the the UMPI program is CBE (work at own pace, showing what you know for credit) vs TESU is traditional format (designed to teach you what you'll need to know - it is a much longer drawn out process, even if you already know the material). I'm not sure what would make you say that UMPI is an unknown here. It is a state school (ME) as TESU is (NJ), they have been extremely active here since 2020 and they are probably the easiest to plan out on what will transfer in from outside (alternative credit or RA). Sure UMPI hasn't offered remote programs as long as TESU, but that isn't a realistic comparison here in 2024. TESU, when TESC, offered 'remote' courses long before the internet (1972) by way of written correspondence options. As far as opportunities for graduate school, a degree from either would be equal; although in some cases UMPI may have an edge with having more required graded credits. Graduate school is about more about the full package of an applicant than any one bachelor degree - but that would be an entirely different conversation in a different thread section Smile

Final thoughts to share on this: my recommendation to UMPI for you is based on YOUR degree interests, your budget, and your timeline based on the information provided. TESU does offer your interests, but your budget (starting from near zero credits as you are, and needing RA) is low, and your timeline goal tight (if even possible). Starting Sophia now for transfer credits and starting UMPI in Jan you'd probably be done with the degree before you could even sign up for the TESU capstone (which itself is 3 months long). With that said, whichever option you choose you'd be looking at starting with Sophia.
Amberton University
- MS Human Relations and Business - 2022
Thomas Edison State University (TESU)
- BSBA General Management - 2018
- ASNSM Computer Science -2018

[-] The following 1 user Likes allvia's post:
  • mbcummings
Basically, I also would vouch for UMPI as they have exactly what you are looking for, BLS with a minor, or BA Psych, here's a previous post of mine in your other thread, get started with Sophia.org and when you get to Study.com, use my bio or signature link for a discount: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...#pid428795
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • mbcummings
(10-12-2024, 07:51 AM)allvia Wrote: UMPI has been a top choice here for a few years now, it may not be a Big 3... I'm not sure what would make you say that UMPI is an unknown here. ...my recommendation to UMPI for you is based on YOUR degree interests, your budget, and your timeline based on the information provided. TESU does offer your interests, but your budget (starting from near zero credits as you are, and needing RA) is low, and your timeline goal tight (if even possible). Starting Sophia now for transfer credits and starting UMPI in Jan you'd probably be done with the degree before you could even sign up for the TESU capstone (which itself is 3 months long). With that said, whichever option you choose you'd be looking at starting with Sophia.

Superb response, questions and rebuttals. Much appreciated! UMPI less known to me personally. Not less here overall (I haven't spent much time here until very recently). Inertia counts and I have some "traction", at long last, with TESU. But points well taken! Sofia > accumulate > transfer/aggregate. I'm trying to get a baseline for latter to crystalize goals from. I'll get that from TESU before I enroll. And I should 1) be more patient - not easy 2) do same with UMPI before deciding on which to enroll in, toward BA plan.

Yes, I think I would relish in the writing activities as described for UMPI. Thanks again!
Based on your experience have you considered the WGU BS in UX Design? It seems to align very well with what you do professionally (unless the BS Psych is more about personal interest than professional utility). It also looks like you can transfer in up to 90 credits from alt credits and then just focus on the design core. You might be one of those who can complete in one six month session given your level of expertise in the subject matter.
Working Toward: ME-EM, CU Boulder (Coursera)
Completed: TESU - BA Computer Science, 2023; TESU - AAS Applied Electronic Studies, 2012; K-State -BS Political Science, 2016
[-] The following 1 user Likes spohara's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
Another option is to work on the balanced mix/match trifecta of certs, degree, experience... Basically, Coursera certs in Data Analytics, IT/PM, UX Design, etc. Add that towards your UMPI Bachelors elective credit and get some experience to round out the trifecta... You determine what you need and want in life, how to get the desired mix/match, and how to obtain experience.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU BA Psych experimental psychology requirement wow 7 390 09-19-2024, 03:22 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  B.S Bio to B.A Psych fthlee08 10 642 07-16-2024, 11:16 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Tough Dual Concentration BS Degree Possible??? GameSlinger 7 949 02-28-2024, 04:31 AM
Last Post: GameSlinger
  Confusion about BALS with concentration transcript Raine 5 648 08-23-2023, 08:13 PM
  BALS Concentration/GE Questions PLEX 3 589 06-30-2023, 11:25 AM
  Psy352 psych personality Akegge 0 405 03-13-2023, 09:05 PM
Last Post: Akegge
  BA Management Concentration Equivalencies smohrs@gmail.com 9 1,036 02-19-2023, 08:31 PM
  90 credit limit - dual concentration Kones 6 1,141 02-02-2023, 04:35 PM
Last Post: Kones
  upper level psych courses.....suggestions? CM1999 2 845 01-02-2022, 02:40 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Easy associate degrees at TESU, while obtaining Psych degree. OliviasDad 4 968 11-16-2021, 05:22 AM
Last Post: rachel83az