Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Need Help Finding MBA in Healthcare Admin/Management
The school I am currently attending, the University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, offers an MBA with Specialization in Health Care Administration. It is reasonably priced and AACSB accredited. https://www.utrgv.edu/accelerated/progra.../index.htm

Some professors use Respondus Lockdown Browser, some do not. You can download that browser for a Chromebook: https://support.respondus.com/hc/en-us/a...-Higher-Ed

No live proctoring, scheduled proctoring, or anything beyond Respondus at UTRGV. Worth asking what constitutes "proctoring" at the schools you are considering; all proctoring is definitely not created equally!

If you are still looking for programs, I find geteducated.com a great starting resource, not least because they rank programs by price. Note that these are from 2022 and prices may have increased a bit, but for most of the programs, they are still in the ballpark of what is quoted. They have a page of Healthcare MBAs: https://www.geteducated.com/online-colle...-online/#/

Good luck!
Master of Accountancy (taxation concentration), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress. 
Master of Business Administration (financial planning specialization), University of Texas Rio Grande Valley, in progress.

BA, UMPI.  Accounting major; Business Administration major/Management & Leadership concentration.  Awarded Dec. 2021.

In-person/B&M: BA (history, archaeology)
In-person/B&M: MA (American history)

Sophia: 15 courses (42hrs)
[-] The following 1 user Likes freeloader's post:
  • reeko0830
(06-13-2024, 10:59 AM)reeko0830 Wrote:
(06-13-2024, 10:41 AM)Stonybeach Wrote: How do you beat Eastern at $9900? https://www.eastern.edu/academics/gradua...management
add a Healthcare concentration! https://www.eastern.edu/academics/gradua...nistration

I was just on the phone with them.  The way to beat them is to offer this program in 30 hours vs 42.  With 42 credit hours, it is 15,500 per the academic advisor I just spoke with.  The fastest track for this program would be around 14-16 months.  He also said that the program underwent some changes and now it is about 15 hours of studying per week per class.

This is why U of I springfield is interesting but they stated they proctor.  I just found Youngstown State, I have reached out awaiting a call.

I would go with the Eastern University General MBA (2nd tier school with good enough name recognition and ACBSP) for $9900! 1.5 years will go by quickly! If you are going to settle for less, then go for the RA accredited Hellenic American University for $3000 to check the box or a fast online MBA program (If it exists)! Just my take since you have years of healthcare leadership experience and the positions you are applying for probably have your name on them regardless. If those positions are highly competitive, frankly, I don't see any of these mentioned schools making a difference.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Stonybeach's post:
  • ss20ts
(06-13-2024, 11:32 AM)Stonybeach Wrote:
(06-13-2024, 10:41 AM)Stonybeach Wrote: How do you beat Eastern at $9900? https://www.eastern.edu/academics/gradua...management
add a Healthcare concentration! https://www.eastern.edu/academics/gradua...nistration

I was just on the phone with them.  The way to beat them is to offer this program in 30 hours vs 42.  With 42 credit hours, it is 15,500 per the academic advisor I just spoke with.  The fastest track for this program would be around 14-16 months.  He also said that the program underwent some changes and now it is about 15 hours of studying per week per class.

This is why U of I springfield is interesting but they stated they proctor.  I just found Youngstown State, I have reached out awaiting a call.

I would go with the Eastern University General MBA (2nd tier school with good enough name recognition and ACBSP) for $9900! 1.5 years will go by quickly! If you are going to settle for less, then go for the RA accredited Hellenic American University for $3000 to check the box or a fast online MBA program (If it exists)! Just my take since you have years of healthcare leadership experience and the positions you are applying for probably have your name on them regardless. If those positions are highly competitive, frankly, I don't see any of these mentioned schools making a difference.

I checked all of our internal listings and it states a Master's degree in related field.  A general MBA would not tick that box unfortunately.  I have a callback with Youngstown State later today.
(06-13-2024, 11:41 AM)reeko0830 Wrote:
(06-13-2024, 11:32 AM)Stonybeach Wrote:

I checked all of our internal listings and it states a Master's degree in related field.  A general MBA would not tick that box unfortunately.  I have a callback with Youngstown State later today.

Ah! I'm sorry, I was thinking of Northeastern University. I'm unfamiliar with Eastern.

BTW, Youngstown program looks great! https://online.ysu.edu/degrees/business/...anagement/

I like it!
1. State School
2. AACSB accredited
3. Online
4. Price is right!
5. MBA with HCA
(06-13-2024, 10:59 AM)reeko0830 Wrote: I was just on the phone with them.  The way to beat them is to offer this program in 30 hours vs 42.  With 42 credit hours, it is 15,500 per the academic advisor I just spoke with.  The fastest track for this program would be around 14-16 months.  He also said that the program underwent some changes and now it is about 15 hours of studying per week per class.

Something to keep in mind....the folks on the phone typically haven't been in the program. 

Define 15 hours of studying. 
15 hours of reading?
15 hours of researching?
15 hours of writing?

Everyone works at a different speed so 15 hours according to whose abilities? 

I'd be more focused on exams - are there any? Proctoring? 

Textbooks included? If not, can I rent digital books from Amazon? I don't buy physical textbooks because they're far too expensive. I prefer digital books so I can read wherever I go and I can use search functions.

How often are the required courses offered?

What courses have prerequisites? How often are they offered? 

How long is a term? 

How are holidays treated? This is important because some programs ignore holidays and have due dates on holidays. This happened at CSU Global to me. We had a discussion due on Thanksgiving and a paper and discussion responses due that Sunday. It was a ROUGH week.

Are faculty adjuncts? How long have they been with the college? I'm seeing 1 college in particular rotate through professors faster than one can change their socks. Its' creating a lot of problems for students.

Can I see the syllabus before I register for classes? Amberton does this and it's had a HUGE impact on the courses I take. I don't do group projects anymore after a bad experience so I avoid all classes with a group project. I also avoid certain professors because of their workload and ridiculous expectations.

Are discussions a common occurrence? At some schools, every classes has these and many students do not enjoy them. 

What is the college's stance on AI usage? This has been interesting to watch unfold! 

Does the college have a digital library for students to use?

What platform are classes taught on? They're not all the same. Some are definitely better than others. 

How many times a year does graduation take place? Some colleges only confer degrees once a year. Others after every term or semester. Definitely something to find out. 

What services does the school offer? Tutoring? Writing lab? Resume help? Job services?
[-] The following 1 user Likes ss20ts's post:
  • Jonathan Whatley
(06-13-2024, 02:33 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-13-2024, 10:59 AM)reeko0830 Wrote: I was just on the phone with them.  The way to beat them is to offer this program in 30 hours vs 42.  With 42 credit hours, it is 15,500 per the academic advisor I just spoke with.  The fastest track for this program would be around 14-16 months.  He also said that the program underwent some changes and now it is about 15 hours of studying per week per class.

Something to keep in mind....the folks on the phone typically haven't been in the program. 

Define 15 hours of studying. 
15 hours of reading?
15 hours of researching?
15 hours of writing?

Everyone works at a different speed so 15 hours according to whose abilities? 

I'd be more focused on exams - are there any? Proctoring? 

Textbooks included? If not, can I rent digital books from Amazon? I don't buy physical textbooks because they're far too expensive. I prefer digital books so I can read wherever I go and I can use search functions.

How often are the required courses offered?

What courses have prerequisites? How often are they offered? 

How long is a term? 

How are holidays treated? This is important because some programs ignore holidays and have due dates on holidays. This happened at CSU Global to me. We had a discussion due on Thanksgiving and a paper and discussion responses due that Sunday. It was a ROUGH week.

Are faculty adjuncts? How long have they been with the college? I'm seeing 1 college in particular rotate through professors faster than one can change their socks. Its' creating a lot of problems for students.

Can I see the syllabus before I register for classes? Amberton does this and it's had a HUGE impact on the courses I take. I don't do group projects anymore after a bad experience so I avoid all classes with a group project. I also avoid certain professors because of their workload and ridiculous expectations.

Are discussions a common occurrence? At some schools, every classes has these and many students do not enjoy them. 

What is the college's stance on AI usage? This has been interesting to watch unfold! 

Does the college have a digital library for students to use?

What platform are classes taught on? They're not all the same. Some are definitely better than others. 

How many times a year does graduation take place? Some colleges only confer degrees once a year. Others after every term or semester. Definitely something to find out. 

What services does the school offer? Tutoring? Writing lab? Resume help? Job services?
Could you answer any of these questions. I would prefer no group work, I literally just told Youngstown that I would prefer zero networking and to never have to speak to another person during the entire duration.  I just want to get the work done and get the diploma.  They use ProctorU so they are off the list.  Open for suggestions for schools.  Right now I am between University of Illinois Springfield which is 36 hours, uses canvas, and has respondus through canvas or eastern which is 42 hours and does not have any proctoring.
(06-13-2024, 03:59 PM)reeko0830 Wrote: Could you answer any of these questions. I would prefer no group work, I literally just told Youngstown that I would prefer zero networking and to never have to speak to another person during the entire duration.  I just want to get the work done and get the diploma.  They use ProctorU so they are off the list.  Open for suggestions for schools.  Right now I am between University of Illinois Springfield which is 36 hours, uses canvas, and has respondus through canvas or eastern which is 42 hours and does not have any proctoring.

I can answer all of these questions about where I completed my MBA, but you're not looking at that university. These were things I asked before I applied. I met with admissions, joined a Zoom admissions info session, had another meeting with admissions. All before I even applied. I wouldn't expect to never have to speak to another person throughout this process. Even with applications you often have to talk to someone. 

I don't know that I would be hung up on the number of credits. It sounds like no proctoring is important to you so I would focus on finding program that doesn't have proctoring. I understand how proctoring can be challenging. I had to deal with it at LSU and WGU. It made me nuts!
(06-13-2024, 10:11 PM)ss20ts Wrote:
(06-13-2024, 03:59 PM)reeko0830 Wrote: Could you answer any of these questions. I would prefer no group work, I literally just told Youngstown that I would prefer zero networking and to never have to speak to another person during the entire duration.  I just want to get the work done and get the diploma.  They use ProctorU so they are off the list.  Open for suggestions for schools.  Right now I am between University of Illinois Springfield which is 36 hours, uses canvas, and has respondus through canvas or eastern which is 42 hours and does not have any proctoring.

I can answer all of these questions about where I completed my MBA, but you're not looking at that university. These were things I asked before I applied. I met with admissions, joined a Zoom admissions info session, had another meeting with admissions. All before I even applied. I wouldn't expect to never have to speak to another person throughout this process. Even with applications you often have to talk to someone. 

I don't know that I would be hung up on the number of credits. It sounds like no proctoring is important to you so I would focus on finding program that doesn't have proctoring. I understand how proctoring can be challenging. I had to deal with it at LSU and WGU. It made me nuts!
Thanks. I am getting a bit overwhelmed in this process. I have probably spoken to 15 schools this week and am no closer to a decision. There are literally no mba programs in Healthcare admin that fit whst I'm looking for. Pittsburgh state just came back saying they use respondus.
Does it have to be an MBA in healthcare? Would a regular MBA be fine? Or an MBA in something like strategic management, accounting, management, or general business work?
(06-13-2024, 10:58 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Does it have to be an MBA in healthcare? Would a regular MBA be fine? Or an MBA in something like strategic management, accounting, management, or general business work?

All job postings within my hospital system for director or vp state, masters degree in a related field, which would be healthcare. This makes it difficult. I am applying to UIS right now. I am reaching out to Augusta University and Morehead State tomorrow.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  $900 Patten Elmwood Master of Leadership and Management (NA DEAC) Jonathan Whatley 180 17,807 3 hours ago
Last Post: Bingbong
  Seeking Advice on Increasing Financial Aid and Finding Competency-Based Marketing or asdfasd78 15 753 08-27-2024, 08:47 PM
Last Post: Hotdogman1
  Journey - UK Level 7 Diploma in Strategic Management and Leadership OtterDen 12 1,390 08-05-2024, 04:35 PM
Last Post: Imbanewbie
  Masters in Risk Management CBE Jeff7 1 427 06-18-2024, 02:34 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  WGU Masters in Human Resource Management newdegree 0 283 05-22-2024, 02:46 PM
Last Post: newdegree
  Master's in Security Management CBE Online Jeff7 8 1,016 02-27-2024, 08:07 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  WGU MS Information Technology Management quigongene 22 8,353 09-05-2023, 09:17 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  CBE Masters in IT Management from South College EverSpinning 14 1,409 08-13-2023, 05:31 PM
Last Post: EverSpinning
  Augusta University Msc InfoSec Management <7k durain 13 1,599 07-11-2023, 10:40 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  UCMO: Online MS Occupational Safety Management 30-36 credit, $11.8K-$14.2K bjcheung77 6 983 05-18-2023, 09:04 PM
Last Post: sanantone