Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Three ECEs in a day.. doable?
I am thinking of scheduling three ECEs for the same day.. Adulthood and Aging, Social Psychology, and Research Methods in Psychology. Is this realistic, and how much time on average does it take to finish an ECE? I've taken plenty of CLEPs and I hardly broken a sweat over most of them, but I've never taken an upper level exam. Also, is a month's worth of study enough time to pass these, for someone with an average understanding of psychology?
droog Wrote:I am thinking of scheduling three ECEs for the same day.. but I've never taken an upper level exam. Also, is a month's worth of study enough time to pass these, for someone with an average understanding of psychology?

BEWARE: ECEs are tough to pass. The time allow is 3 hours, I have read here some people use less time depending on the subject, but most of the ime (and I am talking also about me) takes the whole 3 hours. They are mostly over 130 questions. So, you are talking about a whole day testing, and these are hard to pass even TAKING ONE at a time!

If you don't want to risk wasting your time and money, try giving its time to each one separately.
------------------------------------
Excelsior BS - Business, Cum Laude

120/120 Credits
(106 traditional credits, 63 transferred)

Month, Subject, credits, grade:
May, Intro to World Religions, 3, 66
June, MIS, 3, 51
July, Drug and Alcohol Abuse, 3, 60
July, Fundamentals of Counseling, 3, 55
July, Intro to Business Law, 3, 56
Aug, Business Law II, 3, 60
Sept, Intro Psychology, 3, 71
Oct, ECE Business Ethics, 3, B
Nov., ECE Organizational Behavior, 3, A
Courses:
PF, English Composition, 3, 88 (Jul-Sept.)
EC: Bus. Strategy, 3, A (Jul.-Oct.)
PF: Principles of Finance, 3, 95 (Oct-Nov.)
-----------------------------
NEXT/PENDING (my goal is to finish by Nov. 2008)

NONE! Mission completed! Big Grin

Total Undergraduate SH = 162
jorai Wrote:BEWARE: ECEs are tough to pass. The time allow is 3 hours, I have read here some people use less time depending on the subject, but most of the ime (and I am talking also about me) takes the whole 3 hours. They are mostly over 130 questions. So, you are talking about a whole day testing, and these are hard to pass even TAKING ONE at a time!

If you don't want to risk wasting your time and money, try giving its time to each one separately.

I agree, and to add to this, if you are enrolled at EC the exams will count towards your GPA. Make sure you prepared to take them. I would suggest on taking one per day.
Just my 2 cents
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
I passed 35 exams in the space of two months, including nine ECEs. I did three exams a day on three occasions during that period. So I didn't shy away from an aggressive exam schedule. But I would definitely not advise you to attempt three ECEs in one day, especially if you have not taken ECEs before. I found the ECEs considerably more stressful than DSSTs and CLEPs. I wouldn't necessarily say harder -- if you know the material, you should pass the exam. But my experience was that were more taxing, and I would not have attempted two, let alone three, on the same day.

-Gary-
I seem to recall hearing of people attempting two ECEs in one sitting, but it's pretty rare. As previous posters mentioned, ECEs are more taxing. If you want an aggressive testing schedule and can do two a day, fine, but it sounds like three would be a bit much for just about anybody.
Thanks for the advise people, I appreciate it. I’m a fairly confident test taker, and I usually end up using only half or 2/3 of the time allowed on the CLEPs.. however, since there are more questions on these, and my GPA is involved with them, I’m sure I’ll take longer on these ECEs. For anyone who has actually taken THESE tests.. how long did they take you, and how hard did you feel they were? I may just end up taking two at once, but I’m trying to feel it out. Smile

Thanks again!
Time was not an issue, except on the English Composition exam -- I used every minute I had on that one, but frankly, I'd have dragged my feet through twice as much time and probably not have delivered a significantly better result. I completed the other exams with plenty of time to spare, but by the middle of each one, I was wishing I was somewhere else, and just plain tired.

Also, the fact that you need to formally register an appointment for each exam would dissuade me from taking more than one per day. With CLEPs and DSSTs, I could take another or stop for the day whenever I felt like it (at least at the testing center I was using). With ECEs, if I schedule two or three on the same day, I have to take them all. No thanks.

-Gary-
I took Research Methods in Psych. and it took about 1:45 - 2:00 hours. I would say that if you are dead set on taking more than 1 per day, for whatever reason, I would try to schedule them where I have at least an hour break in between.
[SIZE="1"]AAS (Electronics), TESC-Done
BA Psychology, TESC-Done & waiting
Tests- Eng. Comp. w/ Essay-51, Principles of Mgmt.-59, Intro. to Soc.-62, US History I-66, US History II-61, Intro. to Psych.-68, Biology-55, A&I Lit.-62, Ed. Psych.-63, Soc. Sci. and History-63, Human Growth & Development-65, American Gov't-64, Tech. Writing-63, HTYH-64, Drug & Alc. Abuse-58, Org. Behavior-67, Prin. of Statistics-62, Intro. World Religion-68, Intro to Computing-403, Ethics-439. Research Methods in Psych.-A, Psych. of Personality TECEP-73, Abnormal Psych TECEP-74, Industrial Psych-71
Next-???[/SIZE]
Again, thanks for the advise. I am thinking I'll aim for two at a time, even if it'll mean an extra trip.. I've been handling two CLEPs on the same day, four in the same week, perfectly fine so far, so I think I can do this. I'm in upstate NY, and I have to take a trip down to NYC for each of these, which is a nuisance, and can be difficult to work out with work. But I'd rather have to take an extra trip rather then adding risk to failing one of them.. ECEs are just too damn pricey! Big Grin

Thanks again for the help!
droog Wrote:Again, thanks for the advise. I am thinking I'll aim for two at a time, even if it'll mean an extra trip.. I've been handling two CLEPs on the same day, four in the same week, perfectly fine so far, so I think I can do this. I'm in upstate NY, and I have to take a trip down to NYC for each of these, which is a nuisance, and can be difficult to work out with work. But I'd rather have to take an extra trip rather then adding risk to failing one of them.. ECEs are just too damn pricey! Big Grin

Thanks again for the help!

REALLY???? There's NOTHING in upstate NY. Heck, EC is right there in Albany. They won't give them there?
My Excelsior Journey
Bachelor of Science in General Business, cum laude
Excelsior College

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What is the most doable science test for someone horrible in science? RaeRae 14 1,617 09-09-2016, 08:25 PM
Last Post: Life Long Learning
  Did you work and go to school full time for graduate studies? Is this doable? soliloquy 14 1,386 07-14-2014, 10:45 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Where to take ECEs? anonymouse 6 833 08-06-2013, 03:46 PM
Last Post: BGSU_Alum_86
  ECEs? Elinor 7 1,315 03-17-2011, 06:48 AM
Last Post: Elinor
  Paper based ECEs blu2blu 0 634 12-29-2010, 11:25 PM
Last Post: blu2blu
  CLEPs DSSTs and ECEs Oh My! MommyIsGettingHerDegree 7 1,186 11-03-2010, 02:44 PM
Last Post: cframe
  Doable? Elinor 4 1,171 08-13-2010, 05:23 PM
Last Post: Elinor
  Two ECEs in a day? eyrobinson 3 872 03-01-2010, 08:21 PM
Last Post: Anastasia
  Question about Approval to Test Letters/ECEs a4tunatemom 2 848 07-24-2009, 06:33 PM
Last Post: marianne202
  Microbio & A&P ECEs study material? argentnox 3 1,187 07-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Last Post: derrickfl