Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metropolia Open UAS Failed Enrollment?
I tried enrolling to Metropolia as back up for Comp Sci credits. Received an email this morning stating this:

Quote:Dear student,

starting from 1.1.2024, our Open University courses are not available for the students who do not have a Finnish social security number. This is due to change of law. This means that we cannot accept your enrollment. Thank you for understanding! 

Kind rgds,
Virve Prami
ICT School's Programme Coordinator
So this may be an issue for future students trying to get alternative credits via Metropolia.
[-] The following 1 user Likes MissRN's post:
  • lucillegyl
Oh snap, it seems only for those that are Finnish nationals now, the ship may have sailed... I wonder if there is a workaround for this without being a national...
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
Not only Finnish nationals, but asking for their ID requires personal visit (and maybe some more like some reason for residency, funding etc..., on the other hand long stay is not needed they also give it to those who plan to stay less than 3 months upon demand), so still almost impossible.
Couldn't find any info on websites of other Open Universities in Finland (except FiTech but I think they were closed to foreigners even before this...not quite sure now)
That's unfortunate to hear. I guess the Bachelor Degree in IT from Metropolia won't be feasibly cheaper or faster anymore. I also won't be able to recommend Metropolia or probably any other Finnish school for their online Open UAS/Nonstop courses to my relatives or friends anymore.
I can confirm, that no further enrollment is possible.
I've Emailed Ms Prami and she gave me this Info.

She activated my Student Account so i can complete a enrolled course.

I really can't put in words how disappointed I am.
I'm registered at the OpenUAS but can't do the 180ECTS course, since i haven't enrolled for it yet. As I Was waiting for an e-mail response with some answers regarding the program and payment... What a pity, they didn't give any notice and now its to late. ..

Btw. The Info can be found on the following link:

https://www.metropolia.fi/en/academics/o...technology
I think it is still possible to do courses through Viope, correct?
(01-15-2024, 08:00 AM)EGS Wrote: I can confirm, that no further enrollment is possible.

I'm registered at the OpenUAS but can't do the 180ECTS course, since i haven't enrolled for it yet. As I Was waiting for an e-mail response with some answers regarding the program and payment... What a pity, they didn't give any notice and now its to late. ..

what if we paid the full payment fee? can we still enrolled in other courses?
In Progress:
BS Statistics + BS Physics, Indonesia, 2023
MSc ML/AI (LJMU, UK), 2022
Completed:
PGDip ML/AI (IIITB, India), 2021
BE Civil Engineering, Universitas Pelita Harapan, 2017
[-] The following 1 user Likes asianphd's post:
  • Tomas
(01-15-2024, 09:30 AM)homeschoolmom1 Wrote: I think it is still possible to do courses through Viope, correct?
I think you can do as many viope courses as viope offers you, as it's just in their platform.

I think you can only further use the OpenUAS courses you enrolled with metropolia..

You shouldn't be able to enroll in any (new) openUAS courses from metropolia website
without finnish ID according to the new "law", which btw. I couldn't find any info to.

Only if you've enrolled in the 180ECTS course and paid before 01.01.2024, then you're in.
This is the latest info I've just gotten.

I was unlucky, that I haven't signed up for the 180ECTS course yet, as I was awaiting the reply
and therefore just enrolled up for Engineering Algebra I, to start in the mean time..
(01-15-2024, 10:11 AM)asianphd Wrote:
(01-15-2024, 08:00 AM)EGS Wrote: I can confirm, that no further enrollment is possible.

what if we paid the full payment fee? can we still enrolled in other courses?

If you wish to study for credits, you can only enroll into what you have ordered in 2023. 
It doesn't depend on status (ie. whether you are Metropolia student already), it is more connected to financing I believe - since 2024 they will not longer get funds from government for that. Government will pay 2023 enrollments but not those since 2024. At least that is the little I understood, there is not very much of easily available info about those changes.
I plan to check how other universities will react, for example on the website of University of Helsinki I could not find any info about limitations as to who can enter their Open uni yet.
Change of availability of Metropolia open courses: they have again changed info on the website, it's now possible to study without Finnish social security number for EU citizens:
"NOTE! Since 01.01.2024 you can't enrol to our courses without Finnish Social Security number, unless you are EU citizen."
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tomas's post:
  • Sherwood

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Metropolia payment scare Bosnian_Slovenian 0 206 09-22-2024, 06:28 AM
Last Post: Bosnian_Slovenian
  Metropolia onboarding Sherwood 2 671 08-27-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: vaughna2
  Metropolia UAS IT Programme changes after 31.7.2024 cro-magnon 11 840 08-06-2024, 11:53 AM
Last Post: cro-magnon
  Metropolia University Common Problems Resolved mariobros1985 21 3,850 02-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: therightstuff
  Alternative to Metropolia fcfcfc 6 997 02-05-2024, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  College enrollment rises after pandemic lull LevelUP 0 346 01-25-2024, 04:44 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Metropolia UAS ACEI Evaluation mariobros1985 18 2,213 01-17-2024, 07:08 PM
Last Post: Tomas
  Cheapest Dual Enrollment For Advanced Math the_epic_man 3 675 01-11-2024, 10:10 PM
Last Post: Yenisei
  Upper-level credit via XAMK, Metropolia or U of Helsinki jg_nuy 0 732 12-09-2023, 04:19 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Santander Becas changes to Open Santander Avidreader 0 404 11-22-2023, 05:16 PM
Last Post: Avidreader