Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metropolia UAS IT Programme changes after 31.7.2024
Hey guys, I got new info about the Degree Programme in Information Technology at Metropolia University of Applied Sciences available to those of us who are in EU.

The option to enrol in the old 180 ECTS programme expires today 31.7.2024 at 23:59 Finnish time. (catalogue link)
A similar 120 ECTS programme will be offered after that. The price stays the same at 579 € (catalogue link)

I made a little spreadsheet for myself to compare the differences between them. 
Attaching a pdf of it for your convenience. Hope I didn't make too many mistakes.

Quick facts/explanation:
  • 68 ECTS of core courses appear to be completely unchanged from the old programme (green on spreadsheet)
  • 24 ECTS of courses appear to be equivalent between the programmes but are labelled differently (yellow)
  • 55 ECTS of courses are removed from the programme, that are otherwise not separately available in the catalogue at the moment (orange)
  • One 6 ECTS course is removed from the programme, that is also available for a fee of 50 € (purple)
  • The old programme had 27 ECTS of courses that are available separately for free. The new programme has 28 ECTS of courses that are available separately for free. The courses are different between the two programmes. (blue)

The old programme was 2/3 of the entire 240 ECTS BEng degree, while the new one is 1/2.
This may be unfortunate or fortunate, depending on your needs and circumstances.
It's a slightly inferior deal than before in terms of cost per credit if you don't intend to pursue the full degree at Metropolia. Also the 'Advanced Usage of Office Programs' will cost you an extra 50 € if you really need that specific course for whatever reason.
I'm not entirely sure about how the 'Individual study plan' thing works when you enrol as a regular degree student with them, but fewer predetermined compulsory credits may (possibly?) mean more flexibility with the degree's content overall. I hope people who already completed or are continuing their studies at Metropolia can share their experience after the programme and thoughts about the changes.

Attached Files
.pdf   metropolia-openuas.pdf (Size: 53.58 KB / Downloads: 20)
[-] The following 1 user Likes cro-magnon's post:
  • Tomas
Somewhat unrelated, but possibly still of interest: You cannot enroll in XAMK Open University courses without a Finnish Social Security number any more EXCEPT the course "English communication skills in a multicultural work environment". 3 European credits (likely 1.5 US credits), 36 Euros. Instead of social security number you enter your date of birth.
Has anyone managed to transfer their credits from Metropolia through ACEI? ACEI are asking for Official Transcript of Records. Do you know if Metropolia provides these documents or are the ones you print from the OMA-Intranet the only option ?
(07-31-2024, 02:33 PM)YoooY Wrote: Has anyone managed to transfer their credits from Metropolia through ACEI? ACEI are asking for Official Transcript of Records. Do you know if Metropolia provides these documents or are the ones you print from the OMA-Intranet the only option ?

Email Student Services:
https://www.metropolia.fi/en/academics/g...t-services
It seems copies of degree and transcripts are available through their store https://store.metropolia.fi/en/product-c...documents/
Including delivery of certificate directly to foreign organization.
[-] The following 1 user Likes Tomas's post:
  • Pikachu
This information sounds a bit contradictory, as most EU citizens won't have a Finnish SSN, how would they be able to sign up at all?
In Progress:
Open University: BSc Cyber Security
Microsoft: AZ-104 Azure Engineer
Google: Associate Cloud Engineer
AWS: AWS Solutions Architect Associate
Cisco: CCNAv8

Completed: 
MS Certs: SC-300, MD-102, AZ-900, MS-900, AI-900, DP-900, PL-900, SC-900, MB-910, MB-920
AWS Certs: AWS Cloud Practitioner
Google: Cloud Digital Leader
GIAC Certs: GSEC
CompTIA Certs: Network+, Security+, Linux+
LPI Certs: LPIC-1 Linux Admin
Coursera: IBM Cyber Security, Data Analysis & Visualization, Google PM
TEEX: Cyber 101, 201, 301
Not sure which information you are refering to, I don't see SSN mentioned in this thread. If it's about signups in general, I might be wrong but IMHO it's possible SSN is not required anymore. There were some changes in their local laws that led to perhaps a little bit of confusion and succession of changes in the info posted on their website but now on a fast check I don't see any limitations on https://www.metropolia.fi/en/academics/o...technology anymore.
"Somewhat unrelated, but possibly still of interest: You cannot enroll in XAMK Open University courses without a Finnish Social Security number"

This was mentioned by homeschoolmom1 in this thread, has been a frequent theme in recent threads about Finnish studies - I'd love for it to be wrong though and I'll try and investigate further.
In Progress:
Open University: BSc Cyber Security
Microsoft: AZ-104 Azure Engineer
Google: Associate Cloud Engineer
AWS: AWS Solutions Architect Associate
Cisco: CCNAv8

Completed: 
MS Certs: SC-300, MD-102, AZ-900, MS-900, AI-900, DP-900, PL-900, SC-900, MB-910, MB-920
AWS Certs: AWS Cloud Practitioner
Google: Cloud Digital Leader
GIAC Certs: GSEC
CompTIA Certs: Network+, Security+, Linux+
LPI Certs: LPIC-1 Linux Admin
Coursera: IBM Cyber Security, Data Analysis & Visualization, Google PM
TEEX: Cyber 101, 201, 301
[-] The following 1 user Likes BritStudent's post:
  • Tomas
(08-06-2024, 01:52 AM)BritStudent Wrote: "Somewhat unrelated, but possibly still of interest: You cannot enroll in XAMK Open University courses without a Finnish Social Security number"

This was mentioned by homeschoolmom1 in this thread, has been a frequent theme in recent threads about Finnish studies - I'd love for it to be wrong though and I'll try and investigate further.

Xamk and Metropolia are different schools. To my knowledge, Metropolia still allows EU citizens to enrol for Open UAS courses. Though it looks like they don't explicitly mention that anymore on the website.

Metropolia changed their policy last year to only allow students with Finnish personal number to enrol at their Open UAS, but later they revised this policy, exempting European Union citizens from this requirement.

This section of the website lists Finnish social security number as a requirement for enrolment in Open UAS studies: https://www.metropolia.fi/en/academics/open-university
[-] The following 2 users Like cro-magnon's post:
  • BritStudent, Tomas
Part of the reason for the restriction is because of the need to prove your identity. Finnish social numbers have e-verification. But so do a lot of other EU countries, and a lot of Finnish OUAS offer to let you verify with another EU country's e-verification. For example, I can use my German Ausweiß (ID Card) to login at several OUAS.

For those who care to: you can apply for Finnish ID at an embassy if you say you want to move to Finland and apply for a visa. You don't have to go ahead with the application, but you need the number to apply so it's an easy way to get one.
[-] The following 3 users Like sarahmac's post:
  • BritStudent, cro-magnon, Pikachu

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  March 2024 - News, News, and more News! bjcheung77 6 896 09-04-2024, 10:10 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Metropolia onboarding Sherwood 2 627 08-27-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: vaughna2
  Metropolia Open UAS Failed Enrollment? MissRN 12 1,594 07-31-2024, 11:20 AM
Last Post: cro-magnon
  The 100 Most Popular Accredited Online Colleges for 2024 LevelUP 7 1,944 06-13-2024, 11:36 PM
Last Post: Tedium
  The American Dream Academy (TADA) coming to an end in April 2024 Vle045 55 9,542 05-10-2024, 07:43 PM
Last Post: lisarox
  10 Certificates To Put On Your Resume In 2024 LevelUP 0 477 03-27-2024, 09:15 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Metropolia University Common Problems Resolved mariobros1985 21 3,684 02-24-2024, 06:39 AM
Last Post: therightstuff
  Feb 2024 - Acquisitions and News bjcheung77 1 376 02-15-2024, 06:24 PM
Last Post: ss20ts
  Newsweek: America's Top Online Colleges 2024 Ares 6 892 02-14-2024, 06:48 AM
Last Post: ltw900rr
  Alternative to Metropolia fcfcfc 6 961 02-05-2024, 05:04 PM
Last Post: Tomas