Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Metropolia Transition to Bachelor of Engineering in Information Technology
(11-04-2023, 02:02 PM)Tyler_ Wrote:
(10-31-2023, 04:38 AM)aleksa Wrote: Hello everyone,

Thank you for recommending Finland's universities for cheap source of RA credits. For someone like me who is an EU citizen there is an option to transition from Metropolia's 180ECTS to a full 4 year Bachelor of Engineering degree free of charge. This was mentioned on this forum's wiki here https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Me...d_Sciences

Quote:From there, students are able to apply to the Bachelor's in Information Technology. This can be completed online, from anywhere, but there is an internship/work experience requirement. Students who are already working in Information Technology may be eligible to have this portion waived. This would leave 15-30 ECTS that must be completed at Metropolia. The final year of this Bachelor's degree is free for EU/EEA students, but 10000€ for everyone else.

I'm interested in pursuing this path but the problem is that I can't find that option anymore. I've sent emails to couple of professor but haven't yet received any reply so I'm hoping maybe someone from the forum already took this path.

So, I am currently enrolled in the Open UAS path for the Degree Programme of Information Technology, online studies, with 180 ECTS credits.

I found a link (https://www.metropolia.fi/en/academics/a...as-studies), but it only mentions the Bachelor of Engineering in Electronics and the Master of Engineering in Information Technology. I couldn't find information about the specific program I'm interested in, which is the Bachelor of Engineering in Information Technology, online studies.

Does anyone know  if this program is available and provide guidance on how I can transition from Open UAS to this Bachelor's program? I'm keen to understand the requirements and application process.

Thanks for the wonderful forum, I've learned a lot from you all. You are changing people's lives for the better.

Hello aleska, 

I was looking out for some info about this Open UAS course in IT since after that I would like to apply to get a full Bachelor degree as you - I was trying to find out some more info from the University itself, but it does not seem that I get many responses and then I stumbled in your post in this forum!

Would you mind sharing your experience so far and clearing some of my doubts please? Your help would be much appreciated! Big Grin

- How did you find the course in general?
- Are there for each subjects video lectures or is it mainly "text-based"?
- Do they provide some learning materials (like books in pdf)? Going through the subjects, sometimes they mention that you can find some materials on different platform like: "Study Enviroment", "LabSim", "Viope", or they simply mention "Online". Sometimes they don't mention anything at all.. do you need to get credentials for any of them? 
- When you enroll as a OUAS student, can you have access to the Metropolia's online library for ebooks/materials? 
- Do they give you an official university student email address?

Regarding the exams:
- Do you know how many times can you resit an exam if you fail it? In some subjects it's not specified, in others it says 2 times and in others it says 3.. so I'm a bit confused..

Regarding the transition:
- Did you find out whether it's possibile to complete the degree online after the transition?
- I went through the curriculum of the degree and when you sit an exam, they will mark it only as passed/failed. 

Since after finishing the course I would like to apply to get a full degree like you, do you know how the grades (failed/passed) will be translated to get the final grade of the Bachelor? I have looked at the "traditional" Bachelor's curriculum in IT, and each exams is marked between 1 - 5, so at the end of it, I guess they calculate an average of your grades and give you a final grade for your degree, but I can't figure it out how this would work if we do the OUAS path first. 

I've asked clarifications about this, but I did not get an answer yet.. I was wondering whether they explained this to you and how it works?

- I've seen that for applying for transitioning, you need to go through the application based on the Finnish HES and it seems compulsory to have a Finnish ID number (which I haven't since I'm not from Finland - maybe you are, I don'know..). If you are not from Finland, how did you manage to get this resolved? Smile 

Community:
I 've looked online whether there was a community on Telegram or a discord server for the Metropolia University for this degree, but I couldn't find any. Did you find anything by chance?  Shy

Thanks a lot in advance for your help!  Big Grin

Hi Tyler,

That's a lot of questions that unfortunately I'm not the best person to answer. I only have completed one course so far.

Tomas seems to have covered most aspects well. I would echo his sentiments. Additionally, I've noticed that there aren't many videos provided, and I haven't looked for an access to the online library (if it exists). However, personally, it hasn't posed an issue for me as I tend to find additional resources online or refer to my own books. In my perspective, this program appears to be well-suited for individuals already familiar with the topics, seeking formal recognition from an accredited university. 

Wishing you the best in your studies!
[-] The following 1 user Likes aleksa's post:
  • Tyler_

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Metropolia onboarding Sherwood 2 632 08-27-2024, 02:37 AM
Last Post: vaughna2
  Metropolia UAS IT Programme changes after 31.7.2024 cro-magnon 11 770 08-06-2024, 11:53 AM
Last Post: cro-magnon
  Metropolia Open UAS Failed Enrollment? MissRN 12 1,600 07-31-2024, 11:20 AM
Last Post: cro-magnon
  Online Electrical Engineering Degree OtterDen 5 743 07-09-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  A new program in Colorado recognizes students who didn’t complete their bachelor’s de davewill 4 705 07-06-2024, 11:22 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Admission to associate/bachelor programs without a high school diploma David1477 10 1,012 06-19-2024, 07:00 PM
  Systems Engineering Certification NotJoeBiden 3 642 03-31-2024, 02:11 AM
Last Post: Chimera
  Prompt Engineering Course by Vanderbilt University on Coursera LevelUP 2 613 03-23-2024, 05:28 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  So... I decided doing a UK Level 5 on Information Technology, here's why elcastor21 15 2,002 03-09-2024, 11:54 AM
Brick Want a bachelor's degree in 3 years? University of Minnesota, Morris is trying... Ares 8 1,029 02-24-2024, 06:04 PM
Last Post: natshar