Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
UMPI BLS Education or Management ???
Hi everyone, I am hoping someone can enlighten me on which UMPI minor might be the right fit for me. A little bit about me, 38. Been out of school for a long time. Taking a lot of Sophia classes. Haven't written a lot of long papers in my life. I used to own a summer day camp for kids for several years.

I always wanted to be a substitute teacher, hence why I want to minor in education. But I have been told a minor in management is easier (compare to education). Does anyone have any information on a BLS with an Educational Studies minor? is it difficult? Lots of long writing assignments?
Why not do both? That's what I chose to do. I chose Management since it has only two UL courses, then added the Educational Studies since it has four UL courses. Those 4 ULs mean you will only need another 4 to complete the 24 UL credit requirement.
[-] The following 1 user Likes dsec2013's post:
  • galileom
You need to complete at least 24 UL credits outside of the minor. So, I agree with dsec2013: both. If it turns out that you absolutely can't stand one or the other, you can drop the unwanted minor and just take what you want from the UL list.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • galileom
Review your previous thread: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...nning-help
Pierpont BOG AAS with Info Systems emphasis and then ladder to the UMPI BLS, add the management minor too, you can do the education minor, you will need extra UL, add the MIS minor last.  The template I have is for a triple minor, it'll be very similar to that thread post.
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
[-] The following 1 user Likes bjcheung77's post:
  • galileom
(10-20-2022, 10:15 PM)galileom Wrote: Hi everyone, I am hoping someone can enlighten me on which UMPI minor might be the right fit for me. A little bit about me, 38. Been out of school for a long time. Taking a lot of Sophia classes. Haven't written a lot of long papers in my life. I used to own a summer day camp for kids for several years.

I always wanted to be a substitute teacher, hence why I want to minor in education. But I have been told a minor in management is easier (compare to education). Does anyone have any information on a BLS with an Educational Studies minor? is it difficult? Lots of long writing assignments?

I'm very similar to you. I'm interested in being a sub, maybe a teacher, and going to UMPI with my array of credits. I'm looking at the BLA or BLS and doing the management and/or the education minors. Considering both. How are things going for you now, what direction did you go since this original post?
I'm hoping someone can give me insight into this as well as im helping my friend plan out her degree program. She is currently working towards a AAS at Pierpont in early childhood education so she will have the 15cr required through study.com and straighterline. The problem is she wants to continue onto UMPI hopefully a BAS in education but i can not figure out where those additional education credits will come from. Even if its not UMPI are there any schools that will accept upwards of 90+ credits, are affordable and offer a BA, BS etc
Do both. It's not difficult to double minor.
Current
University of Illinois Urbana Champaign (Gies School of Business) - MS Management

Completed
2023 UMPI Bachelor of Liberal Studies - Summa Cum Laude, Minors: Management & Political Science
2022 Pierpont BOG AAS, Area of Emphasis: Graphic Design
Udacity Nanodegree - Digital Marketing
Google Career Certification - Digital Marketing & E-Commerce, UX Design
(10-20-2023, 12:30 AM)glammie83 Wrote: I'm hoping someone can give me insight into this as well as im helping my friend plan out her degree program. She is currently working towards a AAS at Pierpont in early childhood education so she will have the 15cr required through study.com and straighterline. The problem is she wants to continue onto UMPI hopefully a BAS in education but i can not figure out where those additional education credits will come from. Even if its not UMPI are there any schools that will accept upwards of 90+ credits, are affordable and offer a BA, BS etc

I'm confused. What additional education credits? Are you following the Pierpont & UMPI plans on the wiki?
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
(10-20-2023, 01:52 AM)rachel83az Wrote:
(10-20-2023, 12:30 AM)glammie83 Wrote: I'm hoping someone can give me insight into this as well as im helping my friend plan out her degree program.  She is currently working towards a AAS at Pierpont in early childhood education so she will have the 15cr required through study.com and straighterline.  The problem is she wants to continue onto UMPI hopefully a BAS in education but i can not figure out where those additional education credits will come from.  Even if its not UMPI are there any schools that will accept upwards of 90+ credits, are affordable and offer a BA, BS etc

I'm confused. What additional education credits? Are you following the Pierpont & UMPI plans on the wiki?

Yes AAS in early childhood education from Piermont is in progress i'm just trying to figure out how to best ladder up for a bachelors in early childhood education, education or human services and if UMPI is even an option or stick with TESU (BS in Human Services). The goal is to become a director of daycare in pennsylvania i've attached the states criteria.

Attached Files
.pdf   Director-Credential-Requirements-Document.pdf (Size: 179.07 KB / Downloads: 11)
Okay, so, UMPI's BLS probably wouldn't count as a "Bachelor's in Early Childhood Education" and Pierpont's probably won't count either. But they might count as a degree in an approved related field? It doesn't list what the approved related fields are. Do you have a list of approved related fields?

For the 18 credits, your best bet is probably to stick with TESU and use Coopersmith. They have a ton of Education credits, most of which are ECE. Even if they're only used in the electives, or simply listed on the transcript, they should count. https://www.coopersmithcc.net/shop/ UMPI doesn't (usually) accept NCCRS credits, so I wouldn't count on being able to use Coopersmith courses at UMPI.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  7 Bus & Psy Courses Left - UMPI vs study.com??? radicallena 8 496 10 hours ago
Last Post: radicallena
  Framed UMPI Diploma joshua27 33 10,427 Yesterday, 09:43 AM
Last Post: Hackingat40
  UMPI Admission Requirements/Plan. svnkid 5 200 10-17-2024, 02:56 PM
Last Post: svnkid
  New UMPI Academic Catalog 2024-2025 turbotortuga 14 1,596 10-17-2024, 11:50 AM
Last Post: ss20ts
  UMPI YourPace BA History & Political Science - transfer questions. Patchouli_Skoal 7 310 10-17-2024, 09:31 AM
  bjcheung77 - UMPI BAS Progress Thread bjcheung77 33 4,789 10-16-2024, 08:48 AM
Last Post: Bikingrox211
  UMPI Class Review Master Thread RbxFunRocks 128 97,006 10-14-2024, 10:35 AM
Last Post: Konny08
  Majoring in hospitality, tourism, or event management—any advice? lumina 11 392 10-13-2024, 04:27 PM
Last Post: lumina
  BUS 325 - Financial Management on Brightspace MikeyJeff 11 1,927 10-11-2024, 12:43 PM
  UMPI Accounting Assistance - Degree Plan NewbieLearner 17 1,266 10-10-2024, 11:47 AM
Last Post: NewbieLearner