Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Computer Science, then Masters
(09-09-2023, 03:44 PM)rachel83az Wrote: You did check out https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Sources_of_Credit yes? Of course, not all of those accept international students.
Absolutely. That page is fantastic. I've been through practically all the links, just some of the courses I was looking for were a little obscure, like UL statistics and linear algebra, that sort of thing.

(09-09-2023, 08:18 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Yes, I would recommend trying those sources of credit or even the institutions for obscure ones here: https://degreeforum.miraheze.org/wiki/Obscure_Credits  Basically, I would focus on the community college options first before you move up to the universities, the main reason is the price, but the other is the option to do 6-8 weeks terms versus the 12-16 week terms at the universities... You might want to create an action plan/degree spreadsheet and post those updated courses you want to take so we can review to make sure it fits your degree and prerequisites for the Masters.
O.k. CC options, then university ones. Gotcha. And yep, I plan to create an action plan pretty soon. Thanks again.
UL statistics is something you can get on Coursera, unless you absolutely need it to be graded credit for a Master's program. Linear Algebra would be Coopersmith. Again, unless you need it to be graded credit.

It's usually not necessary for these credits to be graded, unless the graduate program specifically specifies it.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 2 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • origamishuttle, to-the-Masters!
(09-10-2023, 07:21 AM)rachel83az Wrote: UL statistics is something you can get on Coursera, unless you absolutely need it to be graded credit for a Master's program. Linear Algebra would be Coopersmith. Again, unless you need it to be graded credit.

It's usually not necessary for these credits to be graded, unless the graduate program specifically specifies it.
I get that. A few of the masters I looked at did mention it, so I'm leaning towards playing it safe. I may just leave them to the end-ish and see how everything has worked out.

I'm still working on a final plan, but I came across Central Methodist University which seems to have pretty relatively cheap individual classes in computer science and maths. You know anything about these?
I've not come across Central Methodist University before. It looks like they're $260/credit + assorted fees. There may or may not be an online access fee. https://cges-catalog.centralmethodist.ed...0Fees.html doesn't list it, but https://centralmethodist.edu/admissions/...index.html does. Sometimes the online fee is per credit, just as a warning, so it might be $310/credit + more fees. Or it could be a one-time per semester fee of $50. It's hard to tell.

You're not looking at https://centralmethodist.edu/academics/d...urses.html right? Dual Credit is for HS students and doesn't apply to people who aren't high school students.

If you're looking at a page like https://undg-ston-catalog.centralmethodi...index.html then that seems to be a good selection.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • to-the-Masters!
(09-10-2023, 11:27 AM)rachel83az Wrote: I've not come across Central Methodist University before. It looks like they're $260/credit + assorted fees. There may or may not be an online access fee. https://cges-catalog.centralmethodist.ed...0Fees.html doesn't list it, but https://centralmethodist.edu/admissions/...index.html does. Sometimes the online fee is per credit, just as a warning, so it might be $310/credit + more fees. Or it could be a one-time per semester fee of $50. It's hard to tell.

You're not looking at https://centralmethodist.edu/academics/d...urses.html right? Dual Credit is for HS students and doesn't apply to people who aren't high school students.

If you're looking at a page like https://undg-ston-catalog.centralmethodi...index.html then that seems to be a good selection.R
Thanks. I sent them an email, asking how much it would cost. They haven't gotten back to me yet.
For ASU and other common sources of credit, do I need to get them preapproved, or just go for them and transfer in after?

And which calculus do you recommend from ASU - brief calculus or calc for science and engineering?

Thanks

Well, this throws a spanner in the works. It seems that not all the DuPage courses I wanted to take (such as C++ data structures, discrete mathematics) are available online. At least not this term. Not sure if there is a way to check if they will be available in upcoming terms, I think its too early to see the summer courses options.
(09-12-2023, 01:29 PM)to-the-Masters! Wrote: For ASU and other common sources of credit, do I need to get them preapproved, or just go for them and transfer in after?

And which calculus do you recommend from ASU - brief calculus or calc for science and engineering?

Thanks

For TESU, no pre-approval is needed. You can send in new transcripts anytime. You may find it useful to ask advising to "plan" the courses, which puts them in your academic eval so you can see where they fit. Don't bother doing so for alt-credit, I don't think they do that anymore, but RA credit shouldn't be a problem.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • to-the-Masters!
(09-10-2023, 09:54 AM)to-the-Masters! Wrote: I'm still working on a final plan, but I came across Central Methodist University which seems to have pretty relatively cheap individual classes in computer science and maths. You know anything about these?

That's great find! Pretty affordable at $260/cr. Plus I like 8-week session it's fast-paced as opposed to 16-week session which I tend to get burned out towards the end
(09-12-2023, 01:29 PM)to-the-Masters! Wrote: For ASU and other common sources of credit, do I need to get them preapproved, or just go for them and transfer in after?

Thanks

For TESU, both Calculus classes count as Calculus I. Brief Calculus will theoretically be easier.

I wouldn't bother to get ASU classes pre-approved. For most of them, we've got a pretty good idea where they'll go (though, this can also change from time to time). But things like Calculus are, and will always be, Calculus. For Oakton, College of DuPage, etc., I would definitely get them pre-approved. For instance, TESU has: Fundamentals of Modern Operating Systems (ITS-1600) and Operating Systems (COS-2400). The ITS classes, for whatever reason, generally cannot be used in the Comp Sci degree. Only COS-2400 (or equivalent from elsewhere), AFAIK, will fill that requirement. If another school's Operating Systems class comes in as ITS-1600, then that'd be pretty useless and you'd want to take a different one elsewhere.
In progress:

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • to-the-Masters!

Thanks

One of my GT OMSCS classmates got his CS degree from ASU online completely FREE. Uber pays for up to 130(?) credit hours for any driver who had >2000 trips under their belts and maintain 100 trips every month afterwards. Check whether Uber UK offers the same benefits to their drivers.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  SNHU Masters Degree RoliJoli 3 296 09-11-2024, 10:42 AM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Computer Science Bachelor for a non-US resident michaela 10 641 08-23-2024, 12:06 PM
Last Post: davewill
  STEM masters degrees for non-STEM majors Robson 12 884 08-20-2024, 11:55 AM
Last Post: Duneranger
  TESU BA in Computer Science, help with planning and advice Whiskazo 8 855 07-16-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: davewill
Question Help - Computer Science Degree Plan International Student JohnnyBazzinga 15 1,912 07-03-2024, 12:01 PM
Last Post: animuscerebri
  Health Science, AAS leaannrillorta@gmail.com 3 287 06-27-2024, 02:37 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Advice for my 17 year old daughter with over 100 credits done... Computer/IT Focused. EDUxplorer 15 3,125 06-04-2024, 03:38 AM
Last Post: Mint Berry Crunch
  Engineering/Physics/Applied Science Bachelors NotJoeBiden 7 845 05-18-2024, 11:44 PM
Last Post: karehiro
  have ENEB masters, no bachelors or other degree? Times 11 1,562 04-08-2024, 04:44 PM
  UMBI Political Science Advice XNutty98 4 533 04-07-2024, 01:50 PM