Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
BACIS/BSSC TESU Class Advice
I recently decided to go back to school and came across these forums randomly.  After reading through rachel83az and LevelUP’s dual CS/CIS degree wiki’s I’ve decided I’d like to take a shot at it.  So, due to my situation I have 15 free credits a year at TESU I can use.  I already know that I’ll be taking SOS-110, LIB-495, BUS-421, and CIS-351.  Is there anything anyone would recommend I take outside of those 4 classes?  I do not need RA or electives.  I still need to complete the GE classes and have completed the AOS classes below.

General Education: Need to be completed
Oral Communication
Ethical Leadership
Civic Engagement

AOS: Already completed
CIS - Business Law
CIS – Computers
CS- Calculus
CS-Natural Sciences (6)
What about Network Technology? Despite the difficulty of the TECEP, the actual class is/was rumored to be significantly easier (if outdated). That would be more UL credits for the BACS.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • dernsaw
You are going to want to take all 15 of those free TESU credits and add on at least one extra credit so you don't have to pay the residency waiver. Could be the good old Medical Terminology TECEP for $50. Of course it can't be the TECEP, what was I thinking? Thanks, @rachel83az

I enjoyed the AI course and Discrete Math.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • dernsaw
The TECEPs don't count for residency. However! Taking the 1-credit classes PLA-100, ENG-298, or APS-100 would count towards residency and would still be cheaper than the waiver.

Of course, if you're fine spreading your degree out over slightly more than 12 months, just take an extra class or two. You'll still graduate faster than the average American student if you finish in 18 months.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 1 user Likes rachel83az's post:
  • dernsaw
@davewill I guess I should have added a little more input, I don't need the TESU credits for residency since I'm still in the military. It's been a bit since I've taken a legit math class, so I was worried about discrete math, but I'll check it out.

@rachel83az Thank you for that awesome wiki you put together. I did check out CMP-354 Network Technology and it looks like it's been updated. The syllabus course layout actually looks kind of interesting as it has you build a project throughout the class via TestOut. The 200-level course uses the same concept, so I'm actually tempted to just take both.
(12-12-2022, 11:06 PM)dernsaw Wrote: @davewill I guess I should have added a little more input, I don't need the TESU credits for residency since I'm still in the military.  It's been a bit since I've taken a legit math class, so I was worried about discrete math, but I'll check it out.

Military students still have to meet residency to avoid the residency waiver fee. The difference is that you need 24 credits instead of 16 credits, BUT those credits can be TECEPs in addition to regular courses, guided study and ePacks.

https://www.tesu.edu/military/tuition-fees

As far as the math course, the one helpful thing is to get the solutions guide as well as the textbook. The solutions guide has step-by-step solutions for the same even problems that the text just has answers for. When you run into a problem that you can't solve, you can find a similar even and look at the solution to figure out how it was done. Invaluable when studying mostly on your own.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Biology Bachelor kakasahib 1 62 Today, 12:09 AM
Last Post: jg_nuy
  Any reason not to drop BSBA CIS from the old TESU catalog? jazzcat 2 142 09-24-2024, 10:23 AM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  TESU Dual CS/CIS Degree Help! comatose95 13 420 09-24-2024, 10:15 AM
  Google Cloud Data Analytics- UL credits for TESU charfife 10 894 09-24-2024, 01:12 AM
Last Post: jazzcat
  TESU BA Psych experimental psychology requirement wow 7 274 09-19-2024, 03:22 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  TESU computer science and information systems are the same degree Chann 9 705 09-19-2024, 10:29 AM
  Does TESU take Saylor Software Engineering as UL or LL? Jwheels27 7 527 09-18-2024, 07:54 AM
Last Post: Chann
  TESU Evaluation Chann 2 251 09-18-2024, 07:44 AM
Last Post: Chann
  Pausing Enrollment at TESU bradonomics 6 320 09-18-2024, 01:09 AM
  2024 TESU Commencement - October 5th jch 1 368 09-12-2024, 10:13 PM
Last Post: Vin