Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Would TESU be the best place to get BSBA in HR Management?
Hi all, I started this journey not really knowing what I wanted and was just going to get a BALS at Excelsior just to get a degree. As I'm taking courses, I'm learning more about what I'm interested in and it's actually more in line with what I currently do. I'm leaning towards getting a BSBA in HR Management. SDC has been great so far in that, it actually works with my schedule. Even when scheduling the exam, I can schedule it at the crack of dawn when my kiddo and doggo are still asleep and it's quiet.

If I were to go to TESU, this would be the RA and AOS map that I'd follow. The rest I plan on getting at SDC and Sophia. 

RA Source  - 30 credits
  • TECEP ENC-101 English Composition I
  • TECEP ENC-102 English Composition II
  • TECEP Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics
  • TECEP Intro to Sociology
  • TECEP Principles of Statistics (STA-201-TE)
  • TECEP Intro to Microeconomics
  • TEL Learning - American Government
  • TESU Information Literacy: SOS-110 Critical Information Literacy
  • TESU BUS-421 Business Administration Capstone
  • UExcel (UL) Ethical Leadership
AOS:
  • Business 106: Human Resource Management (SDC) = HRM-231 Human Resource/Personnel Management
  • Business 313: Organizational Communication (SDC - UL) = COM-391 Organizational Communication - Completed
  • Sociology 305: Sociology of Work (SDC - UL) = SOC-362 Sociology of Work - Completed
  • Business 306: Strategic Human Resources Management (SDC - UL) = HRM-362 Human Resources Development
  • Business 107: Organizational Behavior (SDC) = MAN-212 Organizational Behavior
  • Business 323: Organizational Theory (SDC - UL) = PSY-360 Organizational Theory - In progress
To satisfy the rest of UL requirement:
  • FIN-301 Introduction to Finance (DAVAR – UL) = FIN-301 Principles of Finance
  • Business 324: Managerial Communication (SDC - UL) = MAN-373 Managerial Communication
Would TESU be the least expensive option for this? I'm also open to changing out some of the RAs to easier ones. To be honest I'm a bit nervous about the Eng Comp II, having to write a paper on the fly seems a bit nerve-racking but I've been reading about how awful this course is at Sophia.
COSC also has a BSBA in HR. However, they don't accept Davar so it might be difficult to get all of the required credits for that concentration.

For the TECEPs, I'm not sure that liberal arts math will work for the BSBA requirements. It might! But they might expect algebra and then the TECEP would go to gen ed electives. Also, I'd think that you'd need to have a really solid grasp of stats to take the stats TECEP. Also, with TECEPs, you have to pre-schedule exams. ProctorU is an entirely different beast than RPNow as used by SDC. So, if you schedule an exam for 5am but it turns out that your kid wakes up early and your dog starts rampaging around the house, too bad. You can reschedule but there may be a fee for this, IIRC. Too stressful, IMO. I would suggest substituting some of your TECEPs with classes from ONU. ONU has MTH-117 that should be at least as good as liberal arts math. They also have Intro to Sociology.

What I would recommend doing is scheduling English Comp II first (before even English Comp I). English Comp I at Sophia isn't so bad. If it turns out that you absolutely hate taking TECEPs, at least you've got that one out of the way. From there, you can decide if you want to continue with so many exams or if you'd rather do ONU.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
My thought is, get your degree from anywhere, be it the Big 3 or competency based degree. Your best option is to get a degree faster at the Bachelors level and work on a Masters level degree instead, such as a Masters in HR Management at Walden for $2700/term. If they have a cheaper term at 50% off like before, then that would be ideal. Example Masters - See here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Management
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
(03-22-2021, 06:18 PM)rachel83az Wrote: COSC also has a BSBA in HR. However, they don't accept Davar so it might be difficult to get all of the required credits for that concentration.

For the TECEPs, I'm not sure that liberal arts math will work for the BSBA requirements. It might! But they might expect algebra and then the TECEP would go to gen ed electives. Also, I'd think that you'd need to have a really solid grasp of stats to take the stats TECEP. Also, with TECEPs, you have to pre-schedule exams. ProctorU is an entirely different beast than RPNow as used by SDC. So, if you schedule an exam for 5am but it turns out that your kid wakes up early and your dog starts rampaging around the house, too bad. You can reschedule but there may be a fee for this, IIRC. Too stressful, IMO. I would suggest substituting some of your TECEPs with classes from ONU. ONU has MTH-117 that should be at least as good as liberal arts math. They also have Intro to Sociology.

What I would recommend doing is scheduling English Comp II first (before even English Comp I). English Comp I at Sophia isn't so bad. If it turns out that you absolutely hate taking TECEPs, at least you've got that one out of the way. From there, you can decide if you want to continue with so many exams or if you'd rather do ONU.

That pre-scheduled live proctored exams is what I was afraid of. I figured I could try dropping off my kid and dog and grandma's house on a Saturday and do it then.

I looked at this thread for ONU https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ght=olivet This might be a good option for in between SDC courses. But I'm confused because it says that it's "your way" but at the same time the website also says that you "...must read, study and engage with faculty and peers to complete the learning objectives and pass the course." How could that be based on your own time? Is ONU live proctored or is it something that I can schedule in my own time?

(03-22-2021, 06:57 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: My thought is, get your degree from anywhere, be it the Big 3 or competency based degree.  Your best option is to get a degree faster at the Bachelors level and work on a Masters level degree instead, such as a Masters in HR Management at Walden for $2700/term.  If they have a cheaper term at 50% off like before, then that would be ideal.  Example Masters - See here: https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...Management

Oh wow, I never even considered getting a Masters just a few months ago I though a Bachelors was out of the question for me. I'm still taking baby bites of that  Big Grin. I'm not really sure how much faster I could make this. I think you might remember that I signed up for the year of SDC. It took me 3 weeks to do 2 UL courses. Based on that I figured I could probably crank out some courses in between my SDC breaks before I can take another final exam at SDC (without needing to pay the extra $70).
Don't you only need 24 RA credits to transfer into TESU because you earn 6 RA credits at TESU between the Capstone and Info Lit?
(03-22-2021, 07:43 PM)ss20ts Wrote: Don't you only need 24 RA credits to transfer into TESU because you earn 6 RA credits at TESU between the Capstone and Info Lit?

I included those there too. Towards the bottom.
TESU will work, although it's certainly not your cheapest option.  I might consider COSC, EC, UMPI and WGU as well.

For TESU, the only UL requirement for the BSBA is 12cr in the AOS - and the capstone.  So you don't have to take:
FIN-301 Introduction to Finance (DAVAR – UL) = FIN-301 Principles of Finance - REPLACE WITH FIN 104: Financial Management
Business 324: Managerial Communication (SDC - UL) = MAN-373 Managerial Communication - REPLACE WITH BUS 113: Business Communication

AOS:
Business 106: Human Resource Management (SDC) = HRM-231 Human Resource/Personnel Management
Business 313: Organizational Communication (SDC - UL) = COM-391 Organizational Communication - Completed - THIS WON'T WORK FOR THE HR AOS
Sociology 305: Sociology of Work (SDC - UL) = SOC-362 Sociology of Work - Completed - THIS WON'T WORK FOR THE HR AOS
Business 306: Strategic Human Resources Management (SDC - UL) = HRM-362 Human Resources Development
Business 107: Organizational Behavior (SDC) = MAN-212 Organizational Behavior
Business 323: Organizational Theory (SDC - UL) = PSY-360 Organizational Theory - In progress

REPLACE ABOVE WITH ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:
BUS 311: Project Management
PSY 301: Industrial/Organizational Psychology
BUS 319: Negotiations & Conflict Management
BUS 307: Leadership and Organizational Behavior

The best thing to do is apply and see where they place your courses.  I have a feeling Business 313: Organizational Communication and Sociology 305: Sociology of Work will go into Knowledge of Human Cultures.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COSC will be the cheapest of the Big 3, and is doable via your same methods.  For the Core, you need the following:

FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING          ACC 101: Financial Accounting (ACC 101)
MANAGERIAL ACCOUNTING       ACC 102: Intro to Managerial Accounting (ACC 102)
BUSINESS LAW                         BUS 103: Intro to Business Law (BUS 120)
PRINCIPLES OF MANAGEMENT   BUS 101: Principles of Management (MGT 101)
MANAGEMENT INFO SYSTEMS    BUS 303: Management Info Systems (ITE 101)
PRINCIPLES OF MARKETING       BUS056: Marketing Principles (MKT 220)
FINANCE MANAGEMENT             FIN 104: Financial Management (FIN 210)
ORGANIZATIONAL BEHAVIOR     BUS 307: Leadership and Organizational Behavior (MGT 315)

For the HR Concentration, you can use any of these 4 courses:
BUS 306: Strategic Human Resources Management (HRM 310)
BUS 314: Employment Law (HRM 312)
HRM Elective    BUS 319: Negotiations and Conflict Management (HRM Elective)
BUS 325: Union & Labor Relations (MGT 425)

For the Organizational Management concentration, you can use any of these 4 courses:
BUS 302: Foundations of Leadership (MGT 450)
BUS 313: Organizational Communication (COM 326)
BUS 323: Organizational Theory (MGT 326)
BUS 304: Leading Organizational Change (MGT 327)

Also, I thought the English Comp II TECEP was easy, you don't have to write an essay, it's more like a couple of paragraphs.  It can't hurt to try, it's certainly easier than doing a course, even on Sophia.

TECEP Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics will count in the GE electives, but not as your Quant Lit requirement, which has to be College Algebra.  You can take that via TECEP, Study.com's MAT 105: Precalculus Algebra, or Sophia.  You'll also need Statistics (TECEP, Study.com or Sophia).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

At COSC, for math you only need Business Statistics, you can take it at Saylor I think, or Study.com (BUS 212: Business Statistics, although it hasn't been evaluated), or Straighterline.

You do need 30cr of UL at COSC, so you'll need 5 UL courses of liberal arts: BUS 313: Organizational Communication and Sociology 305: Sociology of Work will both work there, so you'd just need 3 more UL courses.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The UExcel exam for Ethics is fine if you want to take an UL course, esp if you end up at COSC (then I'd suggest it), but not necessary at TESU.

Last, you may want to consider ONU for your RA courses, they are cheaper than TEL.  $50/cr, and I've heard good things.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
[-] The following 2 users Like dfrecore's post:
  • BigDaddy1, StoicJ
What have you already taken? I ask because UMPI does offer a BA in Business Administration. They don't have HR as a concentration but they have accounting, management & leadership, and project management. You do have to pick one for their program. Here's something that might work for you because currently they don't proctor exams. There are very few exams anyway. It's almost all papers or projects for the courses. As in 1 paper/project for a class. There's quizzes which aren't graded. I know it's not TESU, but it may give you an alternative that works better with your life.

You do have to complete a minimum of 30 credits at UMPI. But tuition is $1400 for an 8 week term and you complete as many courses as you can during the term. UMPI is a state university like TESU. Feel free to pm me a list of the courses you've completed and I'll let you know what else you should complete to transfer to UMPI. I completed 48 credits in 3 terms. 12 in term 1, 24 in term 2, and 12 in term 3. I took an extra class to keep my financial aid package intact. I did the BLS with 3 minors. I took a bunch of the business courses. The application is free so you can even apply in the future and see where you stand.

https://online.umpi.edu/programs/ba-busi...rship.aspx
(03-22-2021, 08:13 PM)dfrecore Wrote: TESU will work, although it's certainly not your cheapest option.  I might consider COSC, EC, UMPI and WGU as well.

For TESU, the only UL requirement for the BSBA is 12cr in the AOS - and the capstone.  So you don't have to take:
FIN-301 Introduction to Finance (DAVAR – UL) = FIN-301 Principles of Finance - REPLACE WITH FIN 104: Financial Management
Business 324: Managerial Communication (SDC - UL) = MAN-373 Managerial Communication - REPLACE WITH BUS 113: Business Communication

AOS:
Business 106: Human Resource Management (SDC) = HRM-231 Human Resource/Personnel Management
Business 313: Organizational Communication (SDC - UL) = COM-391 Organizational Communication - Completed - THIS WON'T WORK FOR THE HR AOS
Sociology 305: Sociology of Work (SDC - UL) = SOC-362 Sociology of Work - Completed - THIS WON'T WORK FOR THE HR AOS
Business 306: Strategic Human Resources Management (SDC - UL) = HRM-362 Human Resources Development
Business 107: Organizational Behavior (SDC) = MAN-212 Organizational Behavior
Business 323: Organizational Theory (SDC - UL) = PSY-360 Organizational Theory - In progress

REPLACE ABOVE WITH ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:
BUS 311: Project Management
PSY 301: Industrial/Organizational Psychology
BUS 319: Negotiations & Conflict Management
BUS 307: Leadership and Organizational Behavior

The best thing to do is apply and see where they place your courses.  I have a feeling Business 313: Organizational Communication and Sociology 305: Sociology of Work will go into Knowledge of Human Cultures.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

COSC will be the cheapest of the Big 3, and is doable via your same methods.  For the Core, you need the following:

FINANCIAL ACCOUNTING          ACC 101: Financial Accounting (ACC 101)
MANAGERIAL ACCOUNTING       ACC 102: Intro to Managerial Accounting (ACC 102)
BUSINESS LAW                         BUS 103: Intro to Business Law (BUS 120)
PRINCIPLES OF MANAGEMENT   BUS 101: Principles of Management (MGT 101)
MANAGEMENT INFO SYSTEMS    BUS 303: Management Info Systems (ITE 101)
PRINCIPLES OF MARKETING       BUS056: Marketing Principles (MKT 220)
FINANCE MANAGEMENT             FIN 104: Financial Management (FIN 210)
ORGANIZATIONAL BEHAVIOR     BUS 307: Leadership and Organizational Behavior (MGT 315)

For the HR Concentration, you can use any of these 4 courses:
BUS 306: Strategic Human Resources Management (HRM 310)
BUS 314: Employment Law (HRM 312)
HRM Elective    BUS 319: Negotiations and Conflict Management (HRM Elective)
BUS 325: Union & Labor Relations (MGT 425)

For the Organizational Management concentration, you can use any of these 4 courses:
BUS 302: Foundations of Leadership (MGT 450)
BUS 313: Organizational Communication (COM 326)
BUS 323: Organizational Theory (MGT 326)
BUS 304: Leading Organizational Change (MGT 327)

Also, I thought the English Comp II TECEP was easy, you don't have to write an essay, it's more like a couple of paragraphs.  It can't hurt to try, it's certainly easier than doing a course, even on Sophia.

TECEP Applied Liberal Arts Mathematics will count in the GE electives, but not as your Quant Lit requirement, which has to be College Algebra.  You can take that via TECEP, Study.com's MAT 105: Precalculus Algebra, or Sophia.  You'll also need Statistics (TECEP, Study.com or Sophia).

At COSC, for math you only need Business Statistics, you can take it at Saylor I think, or Study.com (BUS 212: Business Statistics, although it hasn't been evaluated), or Straighterline.

You do need 30cr of UL at COSC, so you'll need 5 UL courses of liberal arts: BUS 313: Organizational Communication and Sociology 305: Sociology of Work will both work there, so you'd just need 3 more UL courses.

The UExcel exam for Ethics is fine if you want to take an UL course, esp if you end up at COSC (then I'd suggest it), but not necessary at TESU.

Last, you may want to consider ONU for your RA courses, they are cheaper than TEL.  $50/cr, and I've heard good things.
Aww really? I thought for sure the Business 313: Organizational Communication (SDC - UL) = COM-391 Organizational Communication and Sociology 305: Sociology of Work (SDC - UL) = SOC-362 Sociology of Work would satisfy:
H - III - Area of Study: Elective - Organizational Communication OR Managerial Communications
H - III - Area of Study: Elective - Sociology of Work Organizations 

The 30 UL plus the RA credit requirement is what was deterring me from COSC. It's like, Excelsior and TESU requirements combined. I'll have to see how much I'd be saving financially. Thanks for the breakdown, that'll be enough for me to generate a map for COSC too!

(03-22-2021, 08:31 PM)ss20ts Wrote: What have you already taken? I ask because UMPI does offer a BA in Business Administration. They don't have HR as a concentration but they have accounting, management & leadership, and project management. You do have to pick one for their program. Here's something that might work for you because currently they don't proctor exams. There are very few exams anyway. It's almost all papers or projects for the courses. As in 1 paper/project for a class. There's quizzes which aren't graded. I know it's not TESU, but it may give you an alternative that works better with your life.

You do have to complete a minimum of 30 credits at UMPI. But tuition is $1400 for an 8 week term and you complete as many courses as you can during the term. UMPI is a state university like TESU. Feel free to pm me a list of the courses you've completed and I'll let you know what else you should complete to transfer to UMPI. I completed 48 credits in 3 terms. 12 in term 1, 24 in term 2, and 12 in term 3. I took an extra class to keep my financial aid package intact. I did the BLS with 3 minors. I took a bunch of the business courses. The application is free so you can even apply in the future and see where you stand.

https://online.umpi.edu/programs/ba-busi...rship.aspx

So far, I've completed Business 313 Organizational Communication and Sociology 305: Sociology of Work at SDC. I'm currently working on Business 323: Organizational Theory. If UMPI's writing requirements in anything like SDC, it takes me roughly 1.5-2 weeks to do 1 UL class. I'm not sure how tough those courses are, I might be able to do 4 or 5 in one term. but If I want to keep it at only 2 terms I'd have to make sure that I definitely do 5 courses. I'll have to explore UMPI some more. I'm guessing it's better to save the easy courses for UMPI to be able to pump out the courses?
(03-22-2021, 08:59 PM)carebear_007 Wrote: So far, I've completed Business 313 Organizational Communication and Sociology 305: Sociology of Work at SDC. I'm currently working on Business 323: Organizational Theory. If UMPI's writing requirements in anything like SDC, it takes me roughly 1.5-2 weeks to do 1 UL class. I'm not sure how tough those courses are, I might be able to do 4 or 5 in one term. but If I want to keep it at only 2 terms I'd have to make sure that I definitely do 5 courses. I'll have to explore UMPI some more. I'm guessing it's better to save the easy courses for UMPI to be able to pump out the courses?

At UMPI, you need to complete most of your UL courses at UMPI. UMPI courses are much LESS work than Study and take way less time. I'd recommend a bunch of Sophia courses, a few from InstantCert and then apply to UMPI. The courses at UMPI are more like Sophia, but with a Final Assessment at the end. The classes that do have exams, you don't need to schedule. You open the exam and take it whenever it works for you.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU BA PSY xBless 10 462 09-18-2024, 07:53 AM
Last Post: allvia
  EU Bachelor of Professional Studies in Technology Management tonyend2001 2 151 09-16-2024, 10:41 PM
Last Post: tonyend2001
  TESU BA Math and CS Degree Planning thornytumbleweed 9 416 09-13-2024, 02:42 PM
Last Post: MrPanda
  UMPI BA Project Management Billyjoe2308 5 299 09-02-2024, 06:02 PM
Last Post: Billyjoe2308
  Help - Math Credits for TESU Frederico.Sandoval 2 182 08-21-2024, 05:15 PM
Last Post: Frederico.Sandoval
  List of Lingering Questions (BSBA Journey) SlowReader 4 389 08-21-2024, 11:03 AM
Last Post: artidiotic
  Please advise on my next classes for a TESU BSc kt320 2 228 08-19-2024, 08:02 PM
Last Post: kt320
  Planning a BA in Communications from TESU NJgirl 13 1,399 08-14-2024, 05:22 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  TESU BA in Computer Science, help with planning and advice Whiskazo 8 857 07-16-2024, 12:00 PM
Last Post: davewill
  Degree Plan UMPI Bachelor of liberal studies-management minor Elchavo 9 722 07-03-2024, 02:48 AM
Last Post: B_Faust42