Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
want a regional B.A. degree
davewill Wrote:I assure you we would love to find another school where it was possible to come close to graduating with alternative credit. I don't think anyone here is against the idea, we just don't know of anywhere besides the Big3 where that is possible.

NAU was suggested to the OP because they do have the option to complete a degree online or through personalized learning.
The main reason I didn't fully recommend it is because of the amount of credits you'll be doing. It's all about the OP time here.
Take it anyway you want to complete your degree, I did so much work prior to what I've done now because before, I thought NA was better than RA.
:confused: Doesn't Nationally sound better than Regional accreditation? Until I did some research on that, I was like, uh oh... oh yeah... whatever.

A bit about my past/studies, I went to a local private college, but practically failed everything as I wasn't meant to go to school.
Took my A+/Net+ training, got a helpdesk job, decided to go to another private college, it went under while I was taking courses.
Looked up schools for BCIS/BEET, found a NA DETC school CIE/WC with a long history, and the school LOST accreditation!
So after all these circles and hoops I've been going through, I was back at square one earlier in the year, starting from scratch.
Strange enough, I was adamant NOT to do the PLA, and I wanted to "relearn" what was though properly and quickly (go figure eh?).

You do your bit the way you want it, there's two more schools I will recommend to you as well, but. Just one question.
Where are you from, which state? As these two schools do NOT take ACE/NCCRS nor CLEP/DSST/TECEP or UEXCEL, CSU-Global CBE's.
They will only accept RA community college or 4 year college/university B&M school credit for transfer. Would you accept a BGS?
Bachelors of General Studies, or a BA/BS with a major (they only have 15 credits that are required for residency).
Secondly, they're not as easy or competency based as NAU are, but you have the option of taking courses online (it's more expensive too).
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
wannafinish Wrote:I have no issues with someone obtaining a degree from the Big 3. Someone as in someone else, not me. I want a degree from a school that has dorms and a sports team. It is a fact that some people don't consider a degree to be real unless it comes from a school with a sports team and dorms. I might even take a miniterm or summer school course at NAU just so I could talk about what campus life was like there. Assuming, of course, that I could complete the degree as easily as I hope. I want to do what I intended to do at TESU. Start with only one course or less to go. It's much easier to start a degree program when you're already done before you start! I completely respect differences of opinion and realize that this is not the path others would choose.

I'm going to contact NAU and find out how they apply the rules.

I sort of feel like for some people, the problem is one subject area. If they can just figure out a way past that obstacle, then they will be okay. I have two obstacles, foreign language and writing a long paper. I'm more motivated to overcome the foreign language obstacle.

I am listening, though. Please tell me more about the Excelsior Capstone. Is it just papers or is it part of an internship? I don't want to have to find an internship and a project to be done at a workplace.

I just had a lightbulb moment.....any chance your dad and I are acquaintances?
cookderosa Wrote:I just had a lightbulb moment.....any chance your dad and I are acquaintances?

You know what, that would be the perfect pickup line... haha, that was a lightbulb moment that I just had!

I'm back. I'm in the same position at two schools, TESU and Excelsior. One capstone course away from a degree. I just can't make myself do a capstone. I don't understand what to do. I stare at the computer screen for hours and accomplish nothing other than getting depressed. Excelsior wasn't as generous as TESU and I had to test out of some additional hours using DSST and UExcel. Is there any school now allowing testing out of a capstone? If I went the BSBA route with TESU, I'd have to complete Strategic Management. My fear is that I'd once again end up 3 hours short of a degree. I'm not clear about using Penn Foster to satisfy Strategic Management at TESU. If that's allowed, it seems like I should do that first so that all I'd be left with are CLEP, DSST, TECEP, UExcel, Straighterline, and Saylor. I need to get a degree to improve my employment options. I feel like not having a degree will hold me back in life. How can I finish a degree?

6 hours of AP
39 hours of CLEP
27 hours of DSST
3 hours of UExcel
39 community college hours
24 university hours
(09-09-2017, 02:33 PM)wannafinish Wrote: I'm back. I'm in the same position at two schools, TESU and Excelsior. One capstone course away from a degree. I just can't make myself do a capstone. I don't understand what to do. I stare at the computer screen for hours and accomplish nothing other than getting depressed. Excelsior wasn't as generous as TESU and I had to test out of some additional hours using DSST and UExcel. Is there any school now allowing testing out of a capstone? If I went the BSBA route with TESU, I'd have to complete Strategic Management. My fear is that I'd once again end up 3 hours short of a degree. I'm not clear about using Penn Foster to satisfy Strategic Management at TESU. If that's allowed, it seems like I should do that first so that all I'd be left with are CLEP, DSST, TECEP, UExcel, Straighterline, and Saylor. I need to get a degree to improve my employment options. I feel like not having a degree will hold me back in life. How can I finish a degree?

6 hours of AP
39 hours of CLEP
27 hours of DSST
3 hours of UExcel
39 community college hours
24 university hours

Unfortunately you can't transfer in the capstone to TESU. The only Option now is to take the Capstone Class BUS421 from TESU.
Errr... I just hit a lightbulb moment again! Reread this entire thread of yours and then the following:
1) http://degreeforum.net/mybb/showthread.p...pid=176954
2) http://degreeforum.net/mybb/showthread.p...pid=187989
3) http://degreeforum.net/mybb/showthread.php?tid=23006
4) http://degreeforum.net/mybb/showthread.php?tid=23407
5) http://degreeforum.net/mybb/showthread.p...pid=202488
Most important point is, in one of the threads - Read SuZQ2's comments over again.

I don't know if those posts answer my question about testing out of the Excelsior capstone or not. I think not is the answer. There was a reference to testing out of the capstone in 2016. 2016 is long gone and 2017 isn't far behind. I couldn't find anything current about testing out of the capstone.

You posted in http://degreeforum.net/mybb/showthread.p...#pid240254 that "Study.com also drops the price down by removal/waiving of the Cornerstone requirement." Does this mean it's possible to enroll with study.com and skip the TESU capstone? That's all I had left at TESU for a liberal studies degree.

Can I get a nationally accredited degree and then get into a regionally accredited master's program in history or something else?
TESU CORNERstone is not the TESU CAPstone. Study.com gets the cornerstone waived.
Up next:  WGU MSCSIA - Early 2023
Dropped:  WGU MSITM - Wasn't my cup of tea
Completed:  WGU BSCSIA (started 10/1/2018, finished 01/11/2019), Pierpont BOG AAS (5/2018)
Journey Thread (MSITM): https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...TM-Journey
Journey Thread (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/Thread-...ersecurity
Degree Spreadsheet (BS):  https://www.degreeforum.net/mybb/attachm...p?aid=2602

Let's make this simple. There is no longer any way to test out of the capstone at either school. Nor can you transfer it in from elsewhere. What exactly bothers you about doing the capstone? It's really just a big research paper, and the course walks you through the process. For the TESU liberal arts capstone, the first module helps you pick a subject. The second one is an introductory chapter. If you can write at all and follow directions, you can pass this course.

It's easy to psych yourself out worrying about it. Just make sure to pick a good mentor and you'll be fine.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
[-] The following 1 user Likes davewill's post:
  • jsd
The main point I actually wanted to point out was, SuZQ2 also was stuck at the Excelsior Capstone. Once she was done with it, it wasn't as "hard" as she thought it was... Basically, any degree from Nationally Accredited to Regionally Accredited will require a capstone, and yes, some Regionally Accredited schools will take an NA, but you are just one "capstone" off.

Why not plug in the extra effort to do it like SuZQ2 did! If you're taking so long to convince yourself, you can use that time to write ONE sentence towards your "paper" each hour or two, and then do the same thing repeatedly for the next 3-4 months, you'll have THAT paper!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree plan help RajSingh 9 445 09-12-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: RajSingh
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 8 1,529 09-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: elytrarowlock
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 418 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,929 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,444 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Spanish courses for Spanish degree rachel83az 19 2,449 07-24-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Affordable Math degree for non-US (international) citizen OtterDen 22 1,627 07-17-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Online Electrical Engineering Degree OtterDen 5 773 07-09-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 15 1,984 05-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Teen walks at graduation after completing doctoral degree at 17 lisarox 9 894 05-17-2024, 11:09 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy