Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NUMSS DBA in one year
mccatm Wrote:The number/type of courses seem very similar. The main difference is that SMC is accredited and NUMSS isn't, right?

That's, uh.... a pretty important difference.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
I have two questions:
1) Atlantic International University states they are not accredited by the US, but they are accredited by the ASIC. Is the ASIC recognized?

2) I have a coworker who calls himself "Dr" because he got his PHD from Bristol University. Is this University accredited? And if it's not accredited in the US, can he technically call himself a "Dr"?
mccatm Wrote:I have two questions:
1) Atlantic International University states they are not accredited by the US, but they are accredited by the ASIC. Is the ASIC recognized?

2) I have a coworker who calls himself "Dr" because he got his PHD from Bristol University. Is this University accredited? And if it's not accredited in the US, can help technically call himself a "Dr"?

Why not look at American schools that are accredited by an organization recognized by CHEA or the U.S. Department of Education or foreign schools authorized to operate by their governments? ASIC is recognized in the UK, but its recognition is dubious. UK schools don't need to be accredited by a private organization. Non-UK schools that advertise that they are accredited by ASIC are just trying to get around local regulations. There is no legitimate reason why an American school should get ASIC accreditation over an accreditation that is recognized in the U.S. Being a member of CHEA's International Quality Group is not the same as earning recognition from CHEA.

If you went to a UK school that is recognized by the government, then it will be recognized in the U.S. You'll likely be able to transfer credits to an American school after an evaluation from an organization such as ECE or WES. If you attend a school that is simply accredited by ASIC, it is going to be worthless in the U.S. ASIC is supposed to be added quality control on top of the UK government granting a school authority to issue degrees. ASIC, alone, does not allow a UK school to issue degrees. Atlantic International University, a school based in Hawaii, has a dumb excuse for not seeking accreditation from a recognized accrediting body in the U.S.

https://www.gov.uk/check-a-university-is...sed-bodies

If you want a cheap, foreign school, take a look at South African universities (UNISA is the most popular).
Graduate of Not VUL or ENEB
MS, MSS and Graduate Cert
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
Fed Inc Tax, Sci of Nutr, Micro, Strat Man, Med Term, Pub Relations
CSU
Sys Analysis & Design, Programming, Cyber
SL
Intro to Comm, Microbio, Acc I
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
Macro, Intro to Fin, Man Acc
There's a University of Bristol in the UK, and there's also a Bristol University in California. If you're referring to the California school, their accreditation renewal was denied by ACICS, but has been temporarily reinstated pending a lawsuit.

Keep in mind that as of later 2016, ACICS itself lost its Department of Education status as a recognized accreditor (and when it was an approved national accreditor, they weren't the most respected, I'd say.)

So if this is the school in question, it likely was accredited and recognized by the DoE when your coworker attended, depending on when that was. But the accreditation isn't the most well regarded, even when it was more legitimate.
Northwestern California University School of Law
JD Law, 2027 (in progress, currently 2L)

Georgia Tech
MS Cybersecurity (Policy), 2021

Thomas Edison State University
BA Computer Science, 2023
BA Psychology, 2016
AS Business Administration, 2023
Certificate in Operations Management, 2023
Certificate in Computer Information Systems, 2023

Western Governors University
BS IT Security, 2018

Chaffey College
AA Sociology, 2015

Accumulated Credit: Undergrad: 258.50 | Graduate: 32

View all of my credit on my Omni Transcript!
Visit the DegreeForum Community Wiki!
UNISA does seem like a good option, but there tuition/curriculum is not clear on their website. Plus you have to meet with them in person towards the end of the program right? And I do not have time to travel to South Africa at this time or the future due to family/work.

I do not need a PHD, it's more of a want and to add to my credentials. I am looking for a cost efficient program since I still owe lots of debt to my BBA from a brick and mortar school. What intrested me about the Atlantic International University was the lump sum payment of about 7K. And they are ASIC accredited. Does anyone know what the current UNISA PHD tuition is now? And can the PHD programs be completed online without going to South Africa?
I'll put it this way. AIU (Atlantic International University) does not have degree-granting authority in the UK. That is all that matters. The UK does not have an accreditation system like the U.S. AIU is an American school that lacks accreditation from an organization that is recognized in the U.S. For all practical purposes, AIU is unaccredited.

When I get the opportunity, I will link you to the organization that helps American and Canadian students enroll at UNISA.
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
Intro Psych 70, US His I 64, Intro Soc 63, Intro Edu Psych 70, A&I Lit 64, Bio 68, Prin Man 69, Prin Mar 68
DSST
Life Dev Psych 62, Fund Coun 68, Intro Comp 469, Intro Astr 56, Env & Hum 70, HTYH 456, MIS 451, Prin Sup 453, HRM 62, Bus Eth 458
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
sanantone Wrote:I'll put it this way. AIU (Atlantic International University) does not have degree-granting authority in the UK. That is all that matters. The UK does not have an accreditation system like the U.S. AIU is an American school that lacks accreditation from an organization that is recognized in the U.S. For all practical purposes, AIU is unaccredited.

When I get the opportunity, I will link you to the organization that helps American and Canadian students enroll at UNISA.

Thank you for the information. And that would be great if you could send me the link! Thanks!
IACI offers UNISA university distance learning courses up to Doctoral
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar
sanantone Wrote:IACI offers UNISA university distance learning courses up to Doctoral

That's the one, they're a one man operation and they had a US office as well, apparently it was closed for some reason or another.
Anyways, a DBA is lengthy process, it's at least $2500/year for a year or two, if there are flights involved, add a grand or two.
I don't recall, but the DBA might be 3-4 years total! Hmm, if you can finish it quickly, that would be ideal.
Another final option is the one at Herot-Watt, $27000 for a UK DBA - it's very well regarded in the industry.

One other recommendation is a DBA at Anaheim University, it's Nationally Accredited and in Hawaii.
I think they have a special going for $4995 MBA, $10975 for DBA. That's less 1/3 their price on their PDF brochure.
For the first 100 people who get accepted into the program, otherwise you're looking at $35 grand for a DBA.
There are 4 tracks for the DBA, two are very similar as it's just 1 course that is different... but it's 20 terms.

https://www.anaheim.edu/schools-and-inst...ip/tuition
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
OP might be interested in this thread. They're going through and finding legitimate, African universities with online programs.

African Counsil of Distance Education
AAS, AS, BA, and BS
CLEP
DSST
ALEKS
Int Alg, Coll Alg
TEEX
4 credits
TECEP
CSU
SL
Uexcel
A&P
Davar

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The First 3-Year Degree Programs Win Approval Ares 10 1,872 02-07-2024, 03:40 PM
Last Post: NotJoeBiden
  No degree, no worries - 50 years at AT&T for 68 year old engineer bjcheung77 6 1,133 10-20-2023, 06:59 PM
Last Post: nykorn
  These associate degree majors lead to higher incomes than a 4-year bachelor's. LevelUP 4 1,250 10-07-2023, 04:35 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Cardinal Stritch - Closing by year end bjcheung77 6 956 08-22-2023, 07:01 PM
  PASSHE Freeze tuition for the fifth year in a row Vle045 7 987 08-01-2023, 07:10 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  16 year old - $50K reward bjcheung77 0 509 06-18-2023, 02:30 PM
  13 year old college grad bjcheung77 1 628 05-27-2023, 10:03 AM
  Two 16 year old students are recognized... bjcheung77 0 463 05-14-2023, 04:10 PM
  ACE/Sophia Learning - Student of the year 2022 winners! bjcheung77 9 1,231 05-08-2023, 08:12 PM
Last Post: ashkir
  JD & Masters History - 22 year old bjcheung77 0 589 04-24-2023, 12:13 PM