Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No degree, no worries - 50 years at AT&T for 68 year old engineer
Hmm, interesting to say the least, here are some jobs or positions that may work for those who don't have a degree, but I would still suggest at least an associates or bachelors, depending on how you want to work your upward mobility in the future.

Link: No degree, no worries: 9 high-paying jobs that don't require a college degree (msn.com)

Here's an engineer who has worked for the same company for a whopping 50 years, he's been there since high school graduation, I don't think he has a degree to go with his experience, but it's not needed (ever, for him). Sometimes it's working your way upwards...

Link: 68-year-old engineer spent 50 years at one company and 'always' told his bosses to 'leave me alone': 'Let me learn the job' (msn.com)
Study.com Offer https://bit.ly/3ObjnoU
In Progress: UMPI BAS & MAOL | TESU BA Biology & Computer Science
Graduate Certificate: ASU Global Management & Entrepreneurship

Completed: TESU ASNSM Biology, BSBA (ACBSP Accredited 2017)
Universidad Isabel I: ENEB MBA, Big Data & BI, Digital Marketing & E-Commerce
Certs: 6Sigma/Lean/Scrum, ITIL | Cisco/CompTIA/MTA | Coursera/Edx/Udacity

The Basic Approach | Plans | DegreeForum Community Supported Wiki
~Note~ Read/Review forum posts & Wiki Links to Sample Degree Plans
Degree Planning Advice | New To DegreeForum? How This Area Works

[Image: e7P9EJ4.jpeg]
The world was a vastly different place 50 years ago than it is today.
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
[-] The following 3 users Like rachel83az's post:
  • ltw900rr, origamishuttle, TwinMom
(10-15-2023, 06:56 PM)bjcheung77 Wrote: Hmm, interesting to say the least, here are some jobs or positions that may work for those who don't have a degree, but I would still suggest at least an associates or bachelors, depending on how you want to work your upward mobility in the future.

Link: No degree, no worries: 9 high-paying jobs that don't require a college degree (msn.com)

Here's an engineer who has worked for the same company for a whopping 50 years, he's been there since high school graduation, I don't think he has a degree to go with his experience, but it's not needed (ever, for him). Sometimes it's working your way upwards...

Link: 68-year-old engineer spent 50 years at one company and 'always' told his bosses to 'leave me alone': 'Let me learn the job' (msn.com)

You can still build a career without a degree. However that does not mean you don't need skills, and being able to prove that is sometimes all you need. I left the military with skills in fixing equipment, and that took me around the world several times without a degree. I did study along the way and took classes for credit, most of them for no credit, or used tutoring if I needed to know something. I know people today who started as a janitor and worked their way up to the top person in their field with no degree.

Now times have changed, and I think it would be more difficult now but people still get hired without degrees every day, and I have personally hired a few in the last few years.
ENEB MBA - Project Management and International Trade 
ENEB Post Graduate Program in Project Management 
TESU BALS Social Sciences 2019
UAF & Taiwan Foreign Languages German & Mandarin Programs
City of Ur - 2019 Capstone is here
Full-time ex-pats, our blog is here. ExploreTraveler.com Also, our Travel Vlog is here  ExploreTraveler Vlog.
I remember reading "Reminiscences of a Stock Operator" by Edwin Lefèvre in 1923, where the author talks about how he started working for the company as an errand boy and then went up.

It was very funny for me, as here you would need a bachelor to even pass the first screening for an assistant position. And it´s interesting to compare, as I read you mentioning how so many of the posters have got different careers without any degree (being stopped at some point because of the lack of a degree, that´s why they end here in most cases), but in Peru I wouldn´t even be able to start in most cases.
(10-17-2023, 09:18 AM)MrPanda Wrote: I remember reading "Reminiscences of a Stock Operator"  by Edwin Lefèvre in 1923, where the author talks about how he started working for the company as an errand boy and then went up.

It was very funny for me, as here you would need a bachelor to even pass the first screening for an assistant position. And it´s interesting to compare, as I read you mentioning how so many of the posters have got different careers without any degree (being stopped at some point because of the lack of a degree, that´s why they end here in most cases), but in Peru I wouldn´t even be able to start in most cases.

The key to getting started without a degree is usually very small companies, who either can't hire top talent, or simply trade more on relationships than qualifications (Great job, I'm going to recommend you to my cousin who needs the same thing...) It also helps if your field is conducive to project work. After you've finagled 5-10 years of experience, the lack of degree comes up less.
NanoDegree: Intro to Self-Driving Cars (2019)
Coursera: Stanford Machine Learning (2019)
TESU: BA in Comp Sci (2016)
TECEP:Env Ethics (2015); TESU PLA:Software Eng, Computer Arch, C++, Advanced C++, Data Struct (2015); TESU Courses:Capstone, Database Mngmnt Sys, Op Sys, Artificial Intel, Discrete Math, Intro to Portfolio Dev, Intro PLA (2014-16); DSST:Anthro, Pers Fin, Astronomy (2014); CLEP:Intro to Soc (2014); Saylor.org:Intro to Computers (2014); CC: 69 units (1980-88)

PLA Tips Thread - TESU: What is in a Portfolio?
It depends on the field whether or not a degree is needed. What I tell people is a degree gives you options. It’s nice to have options, Whether you exercise those options or not. Not saying you don’t or won’t have options without a degree. I’m just saying more than likely you will have more open doors. Education is freedom. That’s what I tell my kids. 

What I mean by degree is some kind of formal training. Apprenticeships ect.
[-] The following 2 users Like Pats20's post:
  • origamishuttle, rachel83az
You can do some language teaching work, restricted to online, without any sort of degree, if anything for teaching English you need a "120 hour TEFL certificate" to get hired (which I actually finished in 7 hours online). If you can somehow wrangle up 3 or more years of experience and 3-5 work references, some workplaces and countries will waive the degree requirement, but it is almost impossible to get an actual official teaching job (not a "tutoring" job, which may not count) without any degree. Some countries don't count any sort of self-employment or part-time jobs as real work experience, you need to have documented full-time work. And, most teaching jobs pay peanuts and treat teachers terribly, I wish it weren't the case. I know a few teachers who make big bucks, one's been teaching for over 20 years in ghettos (which pay much more), another is a Hungarian who moved to teach English in a poor area of Vietnam but is also getting free board, rent and a small salary to be the live-in teacher for a Vietnamese family there on top of her normal teaching job, and a third is an Icelander who moved to China to teach English and learned fluent Chinese so ended up getting paid more than double after proving Chinese proficiency.

You can often get a job in translation without a degree, but the standards have risen to an insane degree since the 80s and 90s, now they basically want native level speakers for any position, and the job market is shrinking thanks to machine translation (the big bucks are in medical and legal translation, which at least where I live you need to be a certified nurse, doctor or lawyer to do).

As for completely educationless jobs in the self-employment field, I get paid more per hour to dogsit than I've ever gotten paid at any other job. However it requires that you live in an area with people who own dogs.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Degree plan help RajSingh 9 399 09-12-2024, 04:26 PM
Last Post: RajSingh
  OSU Post-Bacc BSCS degree name about to change sialiblo 8 1,462 09-11-2024, 01:43 AM
Last Post: elytrarowlock
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 339 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Online Ivy League degree programs that require less than a week on campus sanantone 32 8,696 08-29-2024, 06:52 PM
Last Post: ifomonay
  Already a software engineer, degree worth it? mahaganapati 40 6,170 08-16-2024, 03:32 AM
Last Post: Leojames26
  Spanish courses for Spanish degree rachel83az 19 2,346 07-24-2024, 07:46 PM
Last Post: Avidreader
  Affordable Math degree for non-US (international) citizen OtterDen 22 1,581 07-17-2024, 09:36 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Online Electrical Engineering Degree OtterDen 5 739 07-09-2024, 10:01 PM
Last Post: OtterDen
  Associates at 11 years old... bjcheung77 2 448 05-30-2024, 03:13 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  U.S. Department of Education considers a degree as a high school equivalency ArshveerCheema 15 1,883 05-25-2024, 03:14 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema