Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Flash cards here and clep study guide doesn't match up
I agree, I'm not sure who said that this was not illegal, but it certainly IS illegal, not to mention unethical. Test material is copyrighted, and is treated the same as if someone went and published a book you wrote on the internet without your permission (or in this case, expressly against your stated wishes).

"No copyrighted material or other Content may be performed, distributed, downloaded, uploaded, modified, reused, reproduced, reposted, retransmitted, disseminated, sold, published, broadcast or circulated or otherwise used in any way whatsoever except as expressly stated either in such materials or in this Agreement without express written permission of the College Board or permission of the copyright owner."
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
alzee Wrote:Umm... no.

Umm...yes!

That would mean that someone had the exact material and copied it onto their own website. Illegal.
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
alzee Wrote:Yes it would be. That does not make it "illegal". Collegeboard or any particular school have no authority over IC or any other site on the internet. Plenty of sites other than IC do have many of the exact questions available. Getting a complete list is of course difficult -- but again, not "illegal."

Anyone who writes something and copyrights it has authority over the material. They do have the right to sue you and make you take it off the internet if they so choose (and can prove that you copied it).

If I wrote a book and copyrighted it, and you took parts of the text out and put it on your website without giving me credit, or with my saying that you were not allowed to copy it onto your website, I could sue you to get it taken off, and I would win.

Why would you think that someone doesn't have the rights to their own intellectual property?
At no point did anyone say or even suggest the questions were copied verbatim, and as long as they were not, then there can't possibly be any copyright violation. It was stated that if the questions were "the same" that it would be illegal. For most people, that's not true, because most people do not mean "an illegal verbatim reproduction" when they say "the same."

Also just FYI, simple questions & facts do not have copyright protection. If a history exam asks "who was president in 1931", they cannot copyright that question nor the answer to it. Nothing produced by the (US) government has copyright protection either.
TESU BSBA/GenMgmt, Graduation approved for March 2017
CR Sources: 75cr(StraighterLine), 15cr(Saylor), 6cr(ALEKS), 6cr(Kaplan, TESU), 12cr(PF), 6cr(CLEP)
alzee Wrote:At no point did anyone say or even suggest the questions were copied verbatim, and as long as they were not, then there can't possibly be any copyright violation. It was stated that if the questions were "the same" that it would be illegal. For most people, that's not true, because most people do not mean "an illegal verbatim reproduction" when they say "the same."

Also just FYI, simple questions & facts do not have copyright protection. If a history exam asks "who was president in 1931", they cannot copyright that question nor the answer to it. Nothing produced by the (US) government has copyright protection either.

??? the government? What?

This is a ridiculous thread. Discussing hypothetical copyright infringement scenarios doesn't apply to this forum. IC test questions are representative of the type of questions you can expect on a CLEP exam. Nothing more. If someone wants to buy stolen questions, create a website, or some create some other business (legitimate or shady) it has nothing to do with this forum. The integrity here is exceptional, let's work to keeping it that way instead of concocting ways to do otherwise.
Don't use the flash cards as your sole source of study. I used them to learn the subjects well enough to be able to make a good educated guess on the topic being covered. But even then, I used other sources to pass the exam. I used the IC flashcards, Wikipedia for the terms I didn't know, REA CLEP study books, etc. Don't rely on just one source. I didn't score too high on the test, but as they say..."A Pass is a Pass!"
Keep studying and good luck on your test.
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="3"][SIZE="2"]Excelsior College - DONE[/SIZE][/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]AAS-[SIZE="1"]2009[/SIZE], BSLS-[SIZE="1"]2010[/SIZE] [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][B][SIZE="2"]Thomas Edison State College - DONE[/SIZE]
[SIZE="2"]BA in History[/SIZE]-[SIZE="1"]2011[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

[SIZE="2"]Texas A&M University Central Texas[/SIZE]
Master of Arts in History - 18/36 SH

CLEPs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Spanish, Freshman Comp, English Comp w/ Essay, Social Science & Hist, Info Sys & Comp App, Intro Sociology, Prin of Mngmt, American Gov , US History I, US History II, Western Civ I, Western Civ II[/SIZE][/SIZE]
DSSTs Passed
[SIZE="1"][SIZE="1"]Civil War & Reconstruction, Rise & Fall of Soviet Union, History of Vietnam War, Intro Modern Middle East, Western Europe Since 1945, Drug and Alcohol, Here's to Your Hlth, Intro To Comp, Prin of Sup, Technical Writing, Prin of Physical Science I[/SIZE][/SIZE]

Quote: There are no stupid questions, only stupid people. "Mr. Garrison"[/SIZE]
The College Board, CLEP, DSST, SAT, it's all the same company. The FBI thinks stealing questions is illegal. Exclusive: FBI raids home of ex-College Board official in probe of SAT leak | Reuters
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
Alright, I'll look for new souces. Quizlet, moocs, and open courses seem good. I could also to to a college bookstore and get the textbook. I thought this would fully prep me for the test but, I guess not. How would I know if I'm ready to clep a test though?
I also don't cheat on exams. I understand that it's self defeating. I enjoy learning.
anthonyfleming Wrote:I also don't cheat on exams. I understand that it's self defeating. I enjoy learning.

I like this site (he was/is a member here from what I understand). Some of the tests are outdated, but you still get lots of helpful suggestions: Clep Exams - Free CLEP Study Guides at Free-Clep-Prep.com
BA.SS: TESU '17
AA.LS, with Honors: CC '16
CHW Certification: CC '15
ΦΘΚ, Alumna Member

"It does not matter how slowly you go as long as you do not stop."― Confucius

B&M University: '92-'95
CC: '95-'16
CLEP: A&I Lit; '08
DSST: HTYH; '08
FEMA: unusable at TESU
IIA: Ethics & CPCU; '15
Kaplan: PLA course; '14,
NFA: 2 CR; '15
SOPHIA: Intro Soc; '15
Straighterline: US History II, Intro Religion, Bus. Ethics, Prin. Mgmt, Cult. Anthro, Org Behavior, American Gov't, Bus. Comm; '15
Study.com: Social Psych, Hist of Vietnam, Abnorm Psych, Research Methods in Psych, Classroom Mgmt, Ed Psych; '16
TECEP: Psych of Women, Tech Writing, Med Term, Nutrition, Eng Comp I; '16
TESU: BA.SS Capstone course; '16

Ended with a total of 170 undergrad credits (plus lots of CEUs). My "I'm finally done" thread

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 175,166 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Seeking interviewees with non-accredited/non-traditional degrees for Ohio State Study mitchell1857 0 201 09-10-2024, 02:36 PM
Last Post: mitchell1857
  Large study of over 10,000 participants showed the top 5 careers for millionaires LevelUP 7 634 08-31-2024, 12:53 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  Decide your path of study... bjcheung77 2 299 07-25-2024, 02:11 AM
Last Post: nyvrem
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,962 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  A Guide to Jesuit Colleges LevelUP 4 815 05-11-2024, 02:45 PM
Last Post: jg_nuy
Question How can I Study on my own pace and online like a european? justmemyself 6 896 03-25-2024, 09:14 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  How to Study Deetzin 3 519 03-12-2024, 02:43 PM
Last Post: LevelUP
  Study.com --- courses midnite123 9 1,177 02-24-2024, 01:22 PM
Last Post: EE-AE-Engineer
  Major Study: Unproctored Online Exams Provide Meaningful Assessment Jonathan Whatley 0 572 11-16-2023, 02:48 PM
Last Post: Jonathan Whatley