Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Gates and Melinda foundation free college textbooks
https://openstaxcollege.org/

Saw a headline, haven't looked through the site just yet. Looks promising though will check out when I get off work. Thought yall might be interested
What a great and promising resource. I'm surprised no one else has commented. Bumping for exposure.
CLEPS Passed: 10 DSST Passed: 11 TECEPS: 1

PrLoko-isms
Don't waste time by trying to save time. The only sure way to complete your degree is to knock out credits quickly and efficiently.

Don't let easiness bite you in the rear. Know your endgame (where you want to be) and plan backward from there. Your education is a means to an end.

Be honest professionally, socially and academically. There are people (especially little ones) who look up to you and they're going by your example.

Be proud. Whether you're an Engineer or Fast Food worker, there is honor and dignity in hard work.

Picking on people weaker than you only proves that you are a weak person.
None of the Big 3 are doing this, although with TECEP's, none of the books are new and expensive - I've been able to find most used for less than $5.

I just took a community college course and the class was $155 but the book was $375 new! I bought the "international version" for $21 (soft cover rather than hardback, cheaper paper, cheaper ink, worked just fine though). Then, I took it to class to compare it with the regular textbook, and found that it contained the exact same information but in different chapter order. I just put sticky-notes on each chapter with the corrected chapter number.
TESU BSBA/HR 2018 - WVNCC BOG AAS 2017 - GGU Cert in Mgmt 2000
EXAMS: TECEP Tech Wrtg, Comp II, LA Math, PR, Computers  DSST Computers, Pers Fin  CLEP Mgmt, Mktg
COURSES: TESU Capstone  Study.com Pers Fin, Microecon, Stats  Ed4Credit Acct 2  PF Fin Mgmt  ALEKS Int & Coll Alg  Sophia Proj Mgmt The Institutes - Ins Ethics  Kaplan PLA
Twenty years ago a professor rolled in a video projector, much better than I expected the very cheap university to have. He explained that the textbook's publisher paid for it as part of a promotion based on how many copies of the publisher's books were sold at the school. That reminds me of how drug companies would pay for "medical training" vacation junkets to encourage doctors to push their pills. That has been largely outlawed. Maybe we need similar legislation for textbook publishers.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
Textbooks are a scam. Just when the Internet started to help us keep prices down (we each sold to each other), companies have now come up with a number to access electronic labs. For my accounting course, I paid over $300 for the book. It included a number so I could use a lab. (The Pearson's lab. NOT user friendly. They want students to advise them about the site. Excuse me? That would make me a consultant. How much will you be paying me?) Should I want to sell my book, and if the buyer needs access to the lab, s/he will have to pony up $150 for a new access card.

It's a racket. I hope that the concept of openstax is used by more colleges. Once someone comes up with a clear text book, why reinvent the wheel. Many courses don't change that much from year to year.
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker
Prloko Wrote:What a great and promising resource. I'm surprised no one else has commented. Bumping for exposure.

Saylor posted it on their FB page yesterday morning, so I think it made the rounds yesterday. I know I posted it yesterday too. Saylor wrote me a note that they're using these in more courses now, especially their credit-option courses. Very promising for sure!
That is neat! Thanks for sharing.
Non-Traditional Undergraduate College Credits (634 SH): *FTCC Noncourse Credits (156 SH) *DSST (78 SH) *CPL (64 SH) *JST Military/ACE (48 SH) *CBA (44 SH) *CLEP (42 SH) *FEMA IS (40 SH) *FEMA EM (38 SH) *ECE/UExcel (30 SH) *PLA Portfolio (28 SH) *EMI/ACE (19 SH) *TEEX/ACE (16 SH) *CWE (11 SH) *NFA/ACE (10 SH) *Kaplan/ACE (3 SH) *CPC (2 SH) *AICP/ACE (2 SH) *Sophia/ACE (2 SH) and *FRTI-UM/ACE (1 SH).
Non-Traditional Graduate College Credits (14 SH): AMU (6 SH); NFHS (5 SH); and JSU (3 SH).

LaterBloomer Wrote:Textbooks are a scam. Just when the Internet started to help us keep prices down (we each sold to each other), companies have now come up with a number to access electronic labs. For my accounting course, I paid over $300 for the book. It included a number so I could use a lab. (The Pearson's lab. NOT user friendly. They want students to advise them about the site. Excuse me? That would make me a consultant. How much will you be paying me?) Should I want to sell my book, and if the buyer needs access to the lab, s/he will have to pony up $150 for a new access card.

It's a racket. I hope that the concept of openstax is used by more colleges. Once someone comes up with a clear text book, why reinvent the wheel. Many courses don't change that much from year to year.

Everything is being converted to a profit margin.

Interesting
Millennials may not be able to send their children to college | USA TODAY College
:hurray:

[SIZE=2]it is a journey[/SIZE]
I may download the physics textbook, just to skim through when I'm bored.

Thanks for the post!!
MS CSIA From WGU - December 2018
B.S. Cybersecurity - COSC - August 2016
A.S. - COSC - May 2015
"...physics textbook, just to skim through when I'm bored."? People say it's not right to judge, but that's just weird. Now, if you said you'd downloaded a dictionary...
TESU BSBA - GM, September 2015

"Never give up on a dream just because of the time it will take to accomplish it. The time will pass anyway." -- Earl Nightingale, radio personality and motivational speaker

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  free certificates in China lilyuzimu 5 416 10-01-2024, 11:48 AM
Last Post: durain
  ACCUMULATING ACCOUNTING CREDITS for CPA - WHAT COLLEGE TO USE AND FROM WHOM? germ 9 2,805 09-27-2024, 06:03 PM
Last Post: turbotortuga
  Free College Hack - Italian or Hungarian Ancestry nykorn 8 742 09-27-2024, 03:37 PM
Last Post: naet
  Free Course Jacksonville State University a_dblu 61 12,414 09-26-2024, 08:26 PM
Last Post: BritStudent
  2025 - College Rankings, 5 ups and 5 downs bjcheung77 0 144 09-25-2024, 11:20 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 173,990 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Freshman College Comp w/essay mom2school 13 2,837 09-14-2024, 07:37 AM
Last Post: upgradelately
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 427 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Self-paced online college without essay? Nickinspace 18 2,222 08-27-2024, 07:19 AM
Last Post: wow
  any Cert-free schools? pluggingalong 2 324 08-24-2024, 09:44 PM
Last Post: pluggingalong