Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Best B.A. degrees to test out of @ TESC?
Hello--

I've been searching through these forums for a while and just wanted some recommendations. I'm completing a B.A. via TESC and have about 30 credits left and I could potentially have a B.A. degree.

I'm curious as to which B.A.s are the easiest/quickest/most affordable to test out of, take ALEKS, or SL out of other than Liberal Studies/Humanities/Social Sciences, as I am aware that these seem to be the most obvious options.

My main concern is UL credits. I believe, at this point, I'll need all 18 UL credits and that's the one thing that won't be flexible for me. I'm trying to avoid taking 12-week courses if possible....or keep them at an absolute bare minimum.

I'm guessing Psychology, History, English....? Some degrees I haven't read too much about, on here, seem to be Communications, International Studies and Labor Studies.

Liberal Studies/Social Sciences/Humanities aren't out of the question, I just wanted to see if these were the only options. My goal is to complete my B.A. with as few headaches as possible. Hoping I won't have to jump all over the places to fill in classes...crossing my fingers for streamlining the process. Smile

-Thor Wink
Hi there and welcome!

Yes, you've guessed correctly. Part of the key to understanding which degrees are possible to test out of is to look at the list of available tests, CLEP/DSST/ECE/TECEP, in addition to other ACE approved options.

There are tons of people here that have Liberal Arts degree plans. I have also seen psych, individualized studies, history, and business. I completed my BS at COSC with a concentration in Bus Admin, but I have seen TESC plans on here as well.

What is your goal? Do you just need a degree, any degree, as soon as possible? Would any specific area suit your skill sets or your interests more? Do you have graduate plans? Part of the reason I chose a Bus Admin major was because I had a list of prerequisites that I had to fulfill for my dream MBA program. By the time I finished those, I was halfway through the Bus degree. You don't want to rush through a degree only to find out that you still need to take 5 classes in order to be accepted to your ideal masters.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
ISSA Certified Nutritionist
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
burbuja0512 Wrote:Hi there and welcome!

Yes, you've guessed correctly. Part of the key to understanding which degrees are possible to test out of is to look at the list of available tests, CLEP/DSST/ECE/TECEP, in addition to other ACE approved options.

There are tons of people here that have Liberal Arts degree plans. I have also seen psych, individualized studies, history, and business. I completed my BS at COSC with a concentration in Bus Admin, but I have seen TESC plans on here as well.

What is your goal? Do you just need a degree, any degree, as soon as possible? Would any specific area suit your skill sets or your interests more? Do you have graduate plans? Part of the reason I chose a Bus Admin major was because I had a list of prerequisites that I had to fulfill for my dream MBA program. By the time I finished those, I was halfway through the Bus degree. You don't want to rush through a degree only to find out that you still need to take 5 classes in order to be accepted to your ideal masters.

Hi and thanks.

Actually still up in the air about it, but my main concern was whether or not one can complete the UL requirements for a B.A. such as Psychology, Labor Studies, Communications, etc.

I just don't know which tests, ALEKS, SL, Dantes would cover UL requirements for those 3, for example. I gave them as examples, but I'm open to other B.A. degrees as well. Probably would want to shy away from Math or Economics, however. lol Wink

Not sure what I will do in regards to a Masters, etc. At this point, I would say yes--I just need a degree. Really would like to see what's out there other than Liberal Arts/Studies. That's all Smile.

Thanks for replying. By your signature it looks like you sped through your BSBA. Great job. I have only 30 credits, so I hope I can be a college grad soon as well.
So.. I am not a TESC expert at all, but I have put together the following degree plan for my DH, who is majoring in psych. This should fulfill your UL credits:

Area of Study - with 18 at UL
A. General Psych II LL

B. Experimental Psych: UL
ECE Research Methods in Psych

C. Statistics: LL
ALEKS Stats

D. Psych Electives:
DSST Organizational Behavior UL
DSST Substance Abuse UL
ECE Psych of Adulthood & Aging UL
ECE Abnormal Psychology UL
Fundamentals of Counseling CLEP LL
ECE Social Psychology UL
General Psych I LL

The only problem with this plan is that my DH already has a general Psych I and Psych II class taken so he does not need to take a test for this. I'm not sure how to test out of psych II.
Regis University, ITESO, Global MBA with a focus in Emerging Markets 4.0 GPA, Dual-university degree (Spanish/English) 
ISSA Certified Nutritionist
COSC BS, Business Admin

My BS Credits:
Spanish 80 | Humanities 67 | A & I Lit 72 | Sub Abuse 452 | Bus Ethics 445 | Tech Writ 62 | Math 53 | HTYH 454 | Am. Govt 65 | Env & Humanity 64 | Marketing 65 | Micro 61| Mgmt 63| Org Behavior 65| MIS 446|Computing 432 | BL II 61 | M&B 50 | Finance 411 | Supervision 437| Intro Bus. 439| Law Enforcement 63|  SL: Accounting I B | Accounting II C+| Macro A | ECE: Labor Relations A | Capstone: A| FEMA PDS Cert 
burbuja0512 Wrote:So.. I am not a TESC expert at all, but I have put together the following degree plan for my DH, who is majoring in psych. This should fulfill your UL credits:

Area of Study - with 18 at UL
A. General Psych II LL

B. Experimental Psych: UL
ECE Research Methods in Psych

C. Statistics: LL
ALEKS Stats

D. Psych Electives:
DSST Organizational Behavior UL
DSST Substance Abuse UL
ECE Psych of Adulthood & Aging UL
ECE Abnormal Psychology UL
Fundamentals of Counseling CLEP LL
ECE Social Psychology UL
General Psych I LL

The only problem with this plan is that my DH already has a general Psych I and Psych II class taken so he does not need to take a test for this. I'm not sure how to test out of psych II.

Thanks a lot. Is your husband completing a Psych degree via TESC?
It's possible to test out of Psychology, History and General Management (Business). You can almost test out of English if you are willing to take some Ohio University exams (this is also the case for History) which are more difficult than CLEP and DSST exams.

Math and Economics definitely cannot be tested out of.
Yenisei Wrote:It's possible to test out of Psychology, History and General Management (Business). You can almost test out of English if you are willing to take some Ohio University exams (this is also the case for History) which are more difficult than CLEP and DSST exams.

Math and Economics definitely cannot be tested out of.
Thanks Yenisei,

Do you know if above tests, for Pysch, are correct for TESC? Very nice of burbujas to give me that list. Are you a TESC student?

It looks like I'll be going for Psychology if I can test out of it completely.
I also noticed this forum sells a product called InstantCert. Does anyone have any Psych experience with that?

I recently bought a CLEP book that was suggested to me by a good friend of mine, but I would say it's more of a general book with all of the subjects.
If you go to this web site and scroll down it tells you what course equivalency TESC puts on what exams. Undergraduate Ways to Earn Credit - Thomas Edison State College - acalog ACMSâ„¢
If you do a search on this site you might also find where SandraNC broke everything down and added some course equivalencies for ECE exams.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12
Incredibly helpful Linda!

So if I'm right, it doesn't really like I'm going to be able to get away with a Psych degree by testing out completely. The UL is what has me in a bind. Sad

I also looked at TESC BA Psych and this was listed at bottom:

Thomas Edison State College | BA in Psychology Credit Distribution

Note 1:
The following TECEP® exam, DANTES exam or Guided Study course may be used as an elective in the psychology area of study.

SOS-301-TE Alcohol Abuse: Fundamental Facts (3 credits)
SOS-303-TE Substance Abuse: Fundamental Facts (3 credits)
SOS-305-DE Drug and Alcohol Abuse (3 credits)
SOS-304-GS Drugs and Society (3 credits)

That's 12 credits of UL and I could do this other one for a total of 15:
PSY-361-DE Organizational Behavior (3)**

Now I just need another 3 credit UL & I'm all set. It looks like I'll be going for a Psychology degree Smile...unless there are other BAs out there that I can almost completely test out of. I wouldn't mind taking 1-2 classes, but would prefer the flexibility.
The Excelsior exams Burbuja suggested could fill out your plan. TESC usually takes the Excelsior course number if not appeal it. I did that and got the 6 upper level credits. They are more expensive then CLEP/DSST but they are still not as expensive as a class.
Linda

Start by doing what is necessary: then do the possible; and suddenly you are doing the impossible  St Francis of Assisi

Now a retired substitute Teacher in NY, & SC

AA Liberal Studies TESC '08
BA in Natural Science/Mathematics TESC Sept '10
AAS Environmental safety and Security Technology TESC  Dec '12

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  TESU Degrees and Middle East Countries laoshijeff 5 3,073 09-01-2018, 12:46 PM
Last Post: teacher2
Question Can I send CLEP/DSST scores for 2 Bachelor Degrees? elenlushk 3 1,991 08-16-2018, 11:07 AM
Last Post: MNomadic
  Finance by test out clarkin16 5 2,088 08-10-2018, 12:37 AM
Last Post: dfrecore
  California teaching credential w/ a test-out degree 12save 3 1,757 08-03-2018, 04:39 PM
Last Post: kevinmane
  Intro + Degree advice, looking at TESU for multiple degrees, BSBA + BSAST coloradocale 14 4,621 08-02-2018, 08:53 PM
Last Post: coloradocale
  Test Out Business Degree plan Bk2Skool 13 5,020 07-23-2018, 06:56 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  First Post - TESC Academic Evaluation Questions npk32 34 6,455 07-18-2018, 01:03 PM
Last Post: npk32
Thumbs Up TEST ASBA yayowonder 4 1,981 07-16-2018, 09:04 PM
Last Post: Mab81
  TESU MULTPLE DEGREES docmarvin 24 5,222 06-26-2018, 09:59 PM
Last Post: docmarvin
  Where can you find UL credit in STEM areas to test out of for credit miah 8 2,361 06-23-2018, 07:04 PM
Last Post: dfrecore