Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
percentage of correct answers to pass tests?
What mark do I need to get on these tests in order to pass and what percentage of correct answers does that come to?
Nobody knows. CLEP and DSST and ECE are all different testing systems by different organizations, and they all score their own way. CLEPs are weighted so the "average C student" gets about 50% of the questions right.

We think. Based on evidence, hearsay, and rumour.

Plus CollegeBoard (CLEP makers) periodically change their formula and change their tests. And there are different versions of each test, so one version may be easy so the "average C student" may answer many more right which means you do too, and another may be hard and the "average C student" tanks so you don't have to get as many to pass. On that version anyway.

Again, we think. And nobody knows which version is which. It's all based on trial and error, and the Specific Feedback forums are where the intel is at.

Google search of the forums here reveals much the same.
Community-Supported Wiki(link approved by forum admin)

Complete: TESU BA Computer Science
2011-2013 completed all BSBA CIS requirements except 4 gen eds.
2013 switched major to CS, then took a couple years off suddenly.
2015-2017 finished the CS.

CCAF: AAS Comp Sci
CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems
DSST (4): Public Speaking, Business Ethics, Finance, MIS

ALEKS (3): College Algebra, Trig, Stats
UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Warning: BA Capstone is a thesis, mine was 72 pages about a cryptography topic

Wife pursuing Public Admin cert via CSU.
[SIZE="4"]
Something Else To Know
[/SIZE]

FACT: The lowest possible score is a 20. The highest possible is an 80.

FACT: Approx. 1/2 the questions on the test must be successfully answered to get a 50, or a pass.

THE HYPOTHESIS: In a 100 question test, such as Sociology and many others, there are only 60 possible points (between 20-80) for 100 questions.

60 points divided by 100 questions = .6pts

If each questions is worth .6 points, 50 correct questions = 50q X .6pts = 30pts

You must add 20 since 0 correct questions = 20pts.

30 points + 20 points = 50 points, or a pass.

Now: If each point in a 100 question test is worth .6 points, 100 questions X .6 points = 60; 60 + 20 = 80.

By this formula, answering 75 questions correctly would translate to a score of 65.
ShotoJuku +
A.S., B.S., M.S., MBA
IC Forums Senior Super Moderator  
Passing It On & Paying It Forward To All Just Starting or Completing Their Educational Journey!

Shoto's Passing Your Exam Advice Here --->   http://www.degreeforum.net/general-educa...#post59179
God Bless The USA :patriot:
That's assuming each question is given equal weight.
Yes you must remember that is the theory, based on outside observations and reports from students who have taken the test.

It's not a guarantee, but in practice it is a pretty good rule of thumb. But the bottom line is we don't really know which score is which for any version of any test because of the way they weight the scoring between versions.

Another good rule of thumb I've seen tossed around is that getting 60-65+ on a Petersons is generally a sign you will do well on the real test. But there are exceptions, as always... Rolleyes

Just do what most of us do: Read the Specific Feedback forums for the particular test and then plan your strategy from there. The posts there will tell you what the real test was like compared to the various practice tests, so you have a heads-up.

CLEP (10): A&I Lit, College Composition Modular, College Math, Financial Accounting, Marketing, Management, Microecon, Sociology, Psychology, Info Systems

UMUC (3): Comparative programming languages, Signal & Image Processing, Analysis of Algorithms
TESU (11): English Comp, Business Law, Macroecon, Managerial Accounting, Strategic Mgmt (BSBA Capstone), C++, Data Structures, Calc I/II, Discrete Math, BA Capstone

Well...I think that a passing score on the Clep is close to 50 percent correct, give or take. Upon taking tests the other day I feel my scores reflected that. Of course my opinion is super biased, and dcan's advice is very wise, except for the social sciences and history, in which I felt the petersons was way tougher than the Clep
Goal - BA Mathematics Major at TESC
Plan: International AP Calculus Teacher

COMPLETED: [B]123/B]
B&M (Philosophy, Psychology, Calculus I/II, Physics I/II, Discrete Structures I/II, Comp Sci, Astronomy, Ethics)*42 credits
Athabasca (Nutrition, Globalization)*6 credits
ALEKS (Stats, Precalculus)*6 credits
CLEPS (College Math 73, A&I Lit 73, French 63, Social Sciences and History 59, American Lit 57, English Lit 59)*42 credits
TECEP (English Composition I, II)*6 credits
TESC Courses (MAT 270 Discrete Math A, MAT 321 Linear Algebra B, MAT 331 Calculus III B+, MAT 332 Calculus IV B-,
MAT 361 College Geometry B+, MAT 401 Mathematical Logic B, LIB-495 Capstone B)*21 credits
DSST (MIS, Intro to Computing)*6 credits*(not using)
OE800_85 Wrote:Of course my opinion is super biased, and dcan's advice is very wise, except for the social sciences and history, in which I felt the petersons was way tougher than the Clep

Thank you for the kind words. cheersmate

Yes, peterson's generally is far tougher, but like I said there are exceptions. I can't recall the particular test(s), but I do remember seeing one or two tests in the feedback forum that mentioned the test actually being harder than the peterson's. That's why it's so important to read the feedback for the test and plan your strategy appropriately.

I know I sound like a pimp/shill for IC, but that forum is fantastic.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Anyone Do IQ Tests or a Part of an IQ Society? dewisant 9 1,164 05-13-2022, 06:34 PM
Last Post: creationstory
  Looking for EQ & IQ Tests online: Anyone? bjcheung77 6 1,145 10-12-2021, 05:40 PM
Last Post: sanantone
  [CC] Opportunity to change B- into PASS/FAIL credit Lightorb333 5 1,265 09-24-2021, 04:43 PM
Last Post: Lightorb333
  Which degrees accept the most CLEP type tests? Sorbik 5 2,785 08-01-2020, 08:27 AM
Last Post: nomaduser
  Peterson's Practice Tests mseldomridge 9 3,800 11-20-2019, 11:46 AM
Last Post: Heisrisen2916
  Like To Know simple Way To Pass Western Civilization MidtownNYC 2 1,573 07-29-2019, 07:06 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Can't find my Peterson's tests! studyandpass5 0 917 06-29-2019, 11:47 AM
Last Post: studyandpass5
  Can we get access to Peterson's tests through TESU? studyandpass5 4 1,709 05-08-2019, 07:46 PM
Last Post: cookderosa
  Intro to Psychology CLEP - Peterson's practice tests S.Tesla 0 1,413 04-08-2019, 03:38 PM
Last Post: S.Tesla
  Only two CLEP tests per day Jenniferinfl 6 2,139 02-12-2019, 08:42 PM
Last Post: Jenniferinfl