Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
onlinedegree.com course difficulty/completion times?
Another Q for a friend who is working on his degree: How do onlinedegree.com courses compare with SDC or sophia, for example, as far as how quickly they can be completed and how difficult the tests are?

It seems like there are fewer lessons, but you have to watch the entire videos to unlock the exams.  General thoughts? It seems like you probably can't beat free unless there are some significant downsides.
OnlineDegree courses are more similar to SDC than they are to Sophia. I haven't fully completed one of their courses but they do seem pretty thorough. I would definitely just go ahead and start working on one to see if the format "works" because it is free to do so!
In progress:
TESU - BA Computer Science; BSBA CIS; ASNSM Math & CS; ASBA

Completed:
Pierpont - AAS BOG
Sophia (so many), The Institutes (old), Study.com (5 courses)
ASU: Human Origins, Astronomy, Intro Health & Wellness, Western Civilization, Computer Appls & Info Technology, Intro Programming
Strayer: CIS175, CIS111, WRK100, MAT210
I did two online degree courses because they seemed interesting. I did a cosmology course and biology. I really enjoyed the cosmology course.

The challenge for me is that there was no way for the lecture to be “complete” unless you watched the whole thing in one sitting and they were normally over an hour. The next challenge was there was no real way to see your quizzes to gauge if you were understanding the material. The material was great - I thoroughly enjoyed the cosmology course but the quizzes were a bit mismatched as it seemed the quizzes were for different lectures

Sent from my iPhone using DegreeForum.net
(07-10-2021, 04:12 AM)studyingfortests Wrote: Another Q for a friend who is working on his degree: How do onlinedegree.com courses compare with SDC or sophia, for example, as far as how quickly they can be completed and how difficult the tests are?

It seems like there are fewer lessons, but you have to watch the entire videos to unlock the exams.  General thoughts? It seems like you probably can't beat free unless there are some significant downsides.

The quality of the courses is good however the quizzes are hard and the videos take a long time to do.  You will often end up taking 2-4x longer than say a Sophia course on the same subject.

It is possible to go a bit faster watching videos at 2x speed.  Also, the first video of each lesson is the only one worth watching, other videos just repeat information and none of the information is going to be on the quizzes.
Degrees: BA Computer Science, BS Business Administration with a concentration in CIS, AS Natural Science & Math, TESU. 4.0 GPA 2022.
Course Experience:  CLEP, Instantcert, Sophia.org, Study.com, Straighterline.com, Onlinedegree.org, Saylor.org, Csmlearn.com, and TEL Learning.
Certifications: W3Schools PHP, Google IT Support, Google Digital Marketing, Google Project Management
I like having videos to watch, so I’ve gone through a few. I can play them while I work sometimes (I work from home). I’ve picked some that go along with whatever other classes I’m taking. I haven’t done the tests from there at all.
MBA, starting July 2022
BA, Sociology 
Certificate, Paralegal Studies
Certificate, Diversity, Equity and Inclusion in the Workplace
Certificate, Global Entrepreneurship & Innovation Virtual Bootcamp - (Thunderbird)
Sophia: 17 credits

LawShelf affiliate (NCCRS credits)
Buy one, get one free with my affiliate code: VK375
https://lawshelf.com/videocoursesview

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Speed of Completion of Sophia.org Courses colonelcamp 5 211 04-26-2024, 06:23 PM
Last Post: colonelcamp
  Degrees available with Saylor Academy and OnlineDegree cvalor 21 3,421 07-03-2023, 02:24 AM
Last Post: rachel83az
  Sophia touchstone grading times? Insert Name 6 2,294 06-26-2023, 01:35 PM
Last Post: Infinite-Telephone52
  Sophia Intro to Chemistry Lab course difficulty level EducationSeeker 6 1,282 01-09-2023, 11:33 PM
Last Post: EducationSeeker
  Study.com completion time? him22 6 1,423 09-15-2022, 11:18 AM
Last Post: lisarox
  OnlineDegree.com final exam vs quizzes jsd 7 1,537 04-26-2022, 06:54 AM
Last Post: carrythenothing
  SDC and Completion Date doom 14 1,741 02-04-2022, 01:50 PM
Last Post: doom
  OnlineDegree cosmetic update rachel83az 4 935 01-09-2022, 07:25 PM
Last Post: rachel83az
  onlinedegree.com transcripts not showing up? studyingfortests 6 1,025 10-31-2021, 06:59 PM
Last Post: studyingfortests
  COS 101 Onlinedegree.com cizzie 3 963 10-19-2021, 03:18 PM
Last Post: cizzie