Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
must be a current student to get CLEP credit
HEY EVERYONE, GUESS WHAT?!?!

It's picnic time at Eureka's castle!

(***This lighthearted distraction was brought to you by the letters M and C.***)
SMS, SGB, GEN, NG, TG16, NES, SNES

[Image: ccoDZ6X.png]

Maniac Craniac Wrote:HEY EVERYONE, GUESS WHAT?!?!

It's picnic time at Eureka's castle!

(***This lighthearted distraction was brought to you by the letters M and C.***)

I'll bring cookies....pending documentation of course :toetap:

CLEP3705, respectfully, I didn't respond to your pm because this is a very good issue that is asked here (repeatedly) and discussed (often) and I want to be sure no myths are perpetrated. It is a frequent issue about laundering CLEP credit, I'm sure you can find many threads about it. It's not a fight. You want me to be "wise" and I want me to be "wise" too, so show me a document from any RA college that allows 3rd party credit not rolled into a degree, certificate, or diploma- I WANT TO KNOW if I'm wrong.

In other words, you are looking for college policy that allows un-official transcripts to be accepted as transfer credit inside of a degree program. (which is exactly what attempted CLEP credit laundering is) Maybe members of this board can chime in if they have examples too- it would be great to start a list. All 6 regional accreditors mandate the publication of such policies, so it should be easy to find.
Thanks, Cook - all I know is your take is true here in South Florida! Only thing new is that if it is a state school there is a policy that has been established by the state on which CLEPs will be accepted and which course numbers they correlate. Also, each of the colleges will have the information in the "catalog" but you may have to dig to find it now that everything is online. Perhaps something similar is available in other states. By the way, the state list also shows AP classes, DSST and ECE - but they also list a maximum number you can use.

Enjoy the hunt!
cookderosa Wrote:In other words, you are looking for college policy that allows un-official transcripts to be accepted as transfer credit inside of a degree program.

I am not. Maybe someone else is. My original point is to tell people that some schools won't post CLEP credits unless/until the student is enrolled at the school. Period. Once the thread drifted, I addressed the specific issue of sending an official transcript from one school to another school.

The only documentation I have are my transcripts. I can't think of a way to securely provide them. They contain personal information which I will not share. They provide the proof that US History CLEP credit at one school transferred to another school.

I have stated what happened. It is true. I was never making a point about what is referred to as transcript laundering. I do not think anyone should expect to be able to succeed at transcript laundering. No one should expect CLEP credits awarded by school A to show up as transfer credits at school B. But it is possible that it could happen because it happened to me.

I can state a general principle that might explain things. In the state of Texas, there is something called the Texas Academic Core Curriculum. It can be completed at a 4 year university or a 2 year junior college or community college. If a person earns an associate's degree at a public 2 year college, the Texas Academic Core has been met. All public 4 year colleges in Texas are compelled to accept all Texas Academic Core credits from a Texas 2 year public college that awarded a degree. This is true even if the 4 year university doesn't offer an exactly matching course.

Consider the case of US History. Both US History 1 and 2 are part of the Texas Academic Core. I was awarded an associate's degree last year. I used CLEP to satisfy the US History part of the Texas Academic Core. Now do you see how a 4 year university in Texas might feel compelled to accept CLEP credits awarded at a 2 year college as transfer credits? Elective credits might be handled differently. Maybe they wouldn't transfer. I don't know because I used CLEP for core courses, not electives. Texas law requires special treatment of core credits.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
70 CLEP Analyzing and Interpreting Literature
68 DSST Technical Writing
72 CLEP U.S. History I
77 CLEP College Mathematics
470 DSST Statistics
53 CLEP College Composition
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
77 CLEP Information Systems and Computer Applications
clep3705 Wrote:I am not. Maybe someone else is. My original point is to tell people that some schools won't post CLEP credits unless/until the student is enrolled at the school. Period. Once the thread drifted, I addressed the specific issue of sending an official transcript from one school to another school.

The only documentation I have are my transcripts. I can't think of a way to securely provide them. They contain personal information which I will not share. They provide the proof that US History CLEP credit at one school transferred to another school.

I have stated what happened. It is true. I was never making a point about what is referred to as transcript laundering. I do not think anyone should expect to be able to succeed at transcript laundering. No one should expect CLEP credits awarded by school A to show up as transfer credits at school B. But it is possible that it could happen because it happened to me.

I can state a general principle that might explain things. In the state of Texas, there is something called the Texas Academic Core Curriculum. It can be completed at a 4 year university or a 2 year junior college or community college. If a person earns an associate's degree at a public 2 year college, the Texas Academic Core has been met. All public 4 year colleges in Texas are compelled to accept all Texas Academic Core credits from a Texas 2 year public college that awarded a degree. This is true even if the 4 year university doesn't offer an exactly matching course.

Consider the case of US History. Both US History 1 and 2 are part of the Texas Academic Core. I was awarded an associate's degree last year. I used CLEP to satisfy the US History part of the Texas Academic Core. Now do you see how a 4 year university in Texas might feel compelled to accept CLEP credits awarded at a 2 year college as transfer credits? Elective credits might be handled differently. Maybe they wouldn't transfer. I don't know because I used CLEP for core courses, not electives. Texas law requires special treatment of core credits.

Are you FREAKIN KIDDING ME!?! hilarious That was the first question I asked you. Oh well, moving on.
cookderosa Wrote:Are you FREAKIN KIDDING ME!?! hilarious That was the first question I asked you. Oh well, moving on.

You asked if I earned a degree at Lone Star. Like I said, I did not. I earned a degree from Houston Community College. The CLEP credits that transferred were credited prior to earning the degree from Houston Community College. It was San Jacinto College and the University of Texas at Arlington that awarded transfer credit from CLEP credits posted to a Lone Star College transcript.
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
72 CLEP U.S. History I
470 DSST Statistics
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
clep3705 Wrote:That is usually true, but not always. Lone Star College awarded me CLEP credits from scores sent directly to them. After my official Lone Star transcript was sent to the University of Texas at Arlington and San Jacinto College, they gave me credit for what I CLEPed out of at Lone Star College. Transfer credits for courses actually taken transferred as TRA and CLEP credits that transferred were recorded as TR.
I see you took the Biology clep exam. Did Lonestar award any credits for that?
Well, even with those restrictions your system is way better than
the one that we have on Peru. Over there you need to earn 240
credits in 5 years (in theory, most people finish in 7 or 8 years),
only to get your Bachelor.

Besides that there is a qualification exam (something like a subject
GRE about sciences and arts) for the University. If I would have
understood the american system at that time I would have finished
in a couple of years at any of the big three instead of spending the
same energy and dropping out from a Peruvian University.
Nick6 Wrote:I see you took the Biology clep exam. Did Lonestar award any credits for that?

No CLEP credit for biology at Lone Star College.

But you shouldn't take my word for it. Look in the general catalog found at http://www.lonestar.edu/departments/acco...cyProc.pdf
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
72 CLEP U.S. History I
470 DSST Statistics
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry
Draw your own conclusions from two quotes from:

Credit by Examination - University College - The University of Texas at Arlington

"Credit by examination earned at other institutions is treated as transfer credit only if the sending institution posts such credit on the student's transcript with regular catalog course numbers and with a grade of at least C, with the symbol CR or with a similar designation representing credit earned without letter grade."

"Credit by examination on a transcript from another institution of higher education is considered transfer work and will transfer to UT Arlington, subject to the same conditions as corresponding resident coursework from that institution."
63 CLEP Sociology
75 CLEP U.S. History II
63 CLEP College Algebra
72 CLEP U.S. History I
470 DSST Statistics
73 CLEP Biology
54 CLEP Chemistry

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Has anyone done PLAR credit? ArshveerCheema 6 325 10-10-2024, 04:56 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Beginners Guide To Getting Cheap/Fast College Credit bjcheung77 17 175,032 09-16-2024, 07:29 PM
Last Post: bjcheung77
  Seeking Advice on Free Online Courses as a Non-Degree Student rickrick 6 540 09-09-2024, 05:19 PM
Last Post: ArshveerCheema
  Prerequisite and credit transfer question kblue6494 4 326 08-29-2024, 10:37 AM
Last Post: kblue6494
  Question about the 1 credit RA self-paced class from ASU sparkling 6 2,063 08-28-2024, 10:42 AM
  Quickest/Most inexpensive credit banking? Calstar 10 2,130 07-10-2024, 09:36 PM
  CPA prep course + 30 hours of Accounting credit for $2,970 freeloader 6 848 05-31-2024, 07:33 AM
Last Post: Vle045
  English 2 CLEP Jennr2z 8 1,954 05-18-2024, 07:11 PM
Last Post: Spyrine
  Credit Banking & cheap/free credits - Asking for a friend SweetSecret 8 2,382 04-25-2024, 07:52 PM
Last Post: SophiaPrincess
  First AI supercomputer for Georgia Tech student. Imbanewbie 3 544 04-22-2024, 11:59 PM
Last Post: Gaince